Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What motor is this

Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 AM
hpelsromantic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor is this

Can anyone tell me what motor this is? I know its a j&a muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13823.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	705600  
Old 06-17-2007, 09:37 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: What motor is this

hpel,
My guess is a Sachs 3.2 cu. in. With mechanical advance. Maybe a Brison.

Dave

Name:	Mk27313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	705632  
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Its a J&A 3.2 or 4.2. Good engine all Sachs internal parts.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 AM
hpelsromantic

I thought it kinda looked like a bme but I really didn't know. What made me think so is the crank case is flat on the sides. Thanks for the reply
Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't look like my Brison 3.2s... The manual advance setup doesn't match my Brison 3.2s...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
hpelsromantic

being really new to gassers, this might be the second gasser I will own. Is bme and brison the same company? I've read alot of threads that seem to make references to the same engines but they call it something different. Any help?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 PM
hpelsromantic

Does this look like the same motor? It seems like I'm playing one of those games that ask "what is different in these two pictures"

Name:	Ax72903.gif
Views:	14
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	705975  
Old 06-17-2007, 10:25 PM
adrenalnjunky

The brisons used the Sachs parts, and the sachs engines looked very similar.

My guess is a sachs or some earlier variant as well.

EDIT
Sorry didn't see TKG's post above.

Yes - your pic is of a J&A Engineering engine - here's a link to their website.
http://www.j-aengineering.com/page26.html

If it's a Sachs jug and internals - it's basically the same as a Brison. to my knowledge Brison and BME are not related - Brison uses sachs parts, and BME uses a lot of Echo parts. Both make nice engines - I have a Brison 2.4 and it's a great motor.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 AM
hpelsromantic

Well i know the quality of echo. I have a chainsaw that sat for the last 3 years in a shed outside with old gas in it and for the heck of it I decided to try it........ she fired after3 pulls and ran good still. I only had questions about this motor because the guy who had the motor said he had it on a 16 pound cap and it wouldn't go vert unlimited. I was planning on puting it on an 30% yak 16-18#. I thought that the motor shouldn't have a problem if it was ok. Shouldn't that motor be allright?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM
adrenalnjunky

well - without knowing the normal performance of those engines, the biggest question would be the displacement. For example - the Brison 2.4 would fly a 16# plane aerobatically if you managed your momentum properly - it wouldn't provide unlimited vertical, but it wouldn't be a complete dog. The Brison 3.2 would be better suited for that weight range.

If that engine you're looking at is the 3.2 - then you might want to find out what carb is on it - and compare model#'s to something like the other 50cc engines on the market. Might be that you could move to a larger bore carb and et a little more power out of it. Plus if the prev owner had too big or too small of a prop on it, that could have hurt vertical performance as well.

What kind of $$$ are you going to be able to pick it up for - that might help us determine if you're getting a deal or not.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the numbers cast on the lower front of the cylinder. If they 44Z, it a 3.2. If they are 49Z, it's a 4.2. Pretty sure it's a J&A.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

hpelsromantic,
Put a pop cicle stick all of the way into the exhust port. Carefully center it. Turn the crak and make an impression in the stick. Measure the distance from the mark to the end of the stick. 44mm=3.2,45mm=3.1,48mm=4.2,49mm=4.1. A smaller bore is a 2.4 or less. The carb ventri should be no 15mm=4.2 or 4.1,13.49mm=3.2 or 3.1. If you post the cylinder model that is cast into the cylinder mounting flange, the guys here could tell what it is exactly.

Dave
Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM
hpelsromantic

I found out for sure that it's a J&A. tkg hit the nail on the head. It's a 3.2. For $250 I doubt that I'm going to get hurt on it. I just wanted to make sure that it will preform sufficiently for the 85" yak. I originally had concerns about it being old but reading some of Ralphs posts I'm somewhat relieved. It sounds like even if I had to put a new carb on it and had the ignition tuned up, I would still be money ahead if I would have spent the big money on a new brison. bme or da. Am I thinking along the right lines?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
adrenalnjunky

If you're paying $250, then I agree that I think you're probably getting a good deal for a 50cc engine, even if you have to rebuild the carb and ignition. the manual advance ignitions aren't all that bad, but the CH Syncro spark unit is relatively cheap if you wanted to fix your timing and let the EI do the advancing.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
hpelsromantic

thanks Chris, what would that involve to fix the ignition? would it be the basic ch upgrade for around 125 bucks? or is it that complicated to adjust the advance myself? it seems that if a guy would get it right the first time he shouldn't have to jack with it again.... right? as far as the carb goes, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to rebuild it... or expensive. what, a gasket, diaphram maybe and worst case a couple of needle valves. I tried emailing j&a since they're close to home but havent heard from back from them
Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
adrenalnjunky

Well -if the ignition runs fine - then I would fly it til it doesn't. If the included ignition is a CH unit, and you wanted to get away from the mechanical advance, you just need to figure out a way to lock your timing ring at ~27-30degrees Before top dead center. follow CH's instructions here: http://www.ch-ignitions.com/CHinst.html. You can purchase the separate Syncro spark module for about $30.

Even the mechanical advance and syncrospark units aren't absolutely needed - the engine should run without it - but the advance units retard the timing at idle to help with idle characteristics and starting.

Edit:
And yes, walbro carbs are pretty easy to rebuild and maintain. Zama's are pretty similar. Those are the only 2 brands I'm familiar with. there will be a model # stamped on the carb somewhere, and then all you need to do is start searching for a rebuild kit - Ebay is a good source, I'm sure there are others.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
hpelsromantic

Thanks Chris. I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions. i need all the help I can get. If I could just win that lottery and money was no object i'd just buy new everything and not worry about pinching penneys. Thanks too to tkg.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this engine is a Walker Probably a 3.2. The CH ignition is a brown box which is 12 t0 15 years old. These engines were built in Milton Freewater Oregon by Walker machine. They were a very good engine. This engine looks like it could use some TLC.
BCCHI