Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetLegend F-16 (1/8) Testflight

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetLegend F-16 (1/8) Testflight

Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JetLegend F-16 (1/8) Testflight

Eric

Glad to hear the F16 is now flying so well. Been in the same place as you with getting too far out! Luckily I got the Scorpion back without any damage, had to land on the grass but got the gear up in time and managed a good belly landing.

I enjoyed your review of the F16, your photographs are much better than mine!

Best regards

John
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Eric Banner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words. Thankfully you don’t know how many photos I’ve got to take before I get one that’s even half usable!

Your little Foxcub looks just the job for flying off the average club grass field. As you say a 44 gold would make it really sparkle.

My landing, if you can call it that, was with the fuselage flat and with a much larger vertical than horizontal speed component! I didn’t have the presence of mind to retract the undercarriage in time as I was desperately trying to reach the runway. In some respects I was very lucky that the undercarriage absorbed all the energy of the arrival and the rest of the plane survived undamaged.

Best regards,
Eric

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
ubirajaramarques

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eric, I bought a JL f16 and im mounting it for the first flight. Im intending to takeoff from a grass field. Do you recommend to fly it on grass? do you think the undercarriage will work great with grass fields?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 AM
E.Banner

Hi ubirajaramarques,

I’ve no actual experience of the JL F-16 off grass and only 4 flights off tarmac so far...

With the MW54 on tarmac the acceleration is rapid and the take off run short. If you keep the airframe drag low (no or few missiles), the grass is short and the ground hard, you’ll probable make it O.K.

It would, I believe, be better with an 18lbf+ MW SS off grass.

The undercarriage itself should be fine. The way the mains are mounted gives lots of extra cushioning without being soft. The springing on the mains themselves and the nose wheel is excellent and should easily cope with grass.

HTH
Eric

ORIGINAL: ubirajaramarques

Hi Eric, I bought a JL f16 and im mounting it for the first flight. Im intending to takeoff from a grass field. Do you recommend to fly it on grass? do you think the undercarriage will work great with grass fields?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:14 AM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Eric,

Very pleased that you had success with the F16 - looking forward to the finished review too.

Well done!

Jeff
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Eric Banner

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your support in replacing the undercarriage, excellent service.

I’ll try to get John Wright to shoot a video in the coming weeks.

Best regards,
Eric

ORIGINAL: jeff sewell

Hi Eric,

Very pleased that you had success with the F16 - looking forward to the finished review too.

Well done!

Jeff
Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
ubirajaramarques

What kind of cylinders should I use for doors? Type, size, model, brand. Should I use a separated air bottle just for doors or can I use the retracts bottle? Im thinking to use one bottle for retracts and doors and other bottle for brakes. Should I use a sequencer for retracts and doors or is there any other solution without the electronic sequencer?

thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a UP3 valve on my Raptor - hasn't come yet so I can't comment on setup but all reports is that they are good.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:59 AM
initref

Hi,
I'm using the BVM #5751 door rams ( 1 inch stroke ) on the gear doors, with a Jetronic sequencer and actuating valves on my F-16. ( see Lasse's excellent build pics for approximate mounting location of the rams...)

Have spoke with Jeff Sewell the UK importer and he says that the single air tank supplied with the kit is sufficient to operate the gear/doors/brakes. Perhaps Eric and Lasse can confirm that they are using the supplied airtank.

Have figured out a way to tint the canopy too, model car spray for polycarbonate bodies.....sprayed on the inside of the canopy.

Barry
Old 06-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Eric Banner

Barry,

Jeff is off course correct but I choose to use both tanks in parallel to increase system capacity. The tanks weigh next to nothing and there is plenty of space available.

For main gear doors I used Skymaster 40mm cylinders and standard offset hinges.
Nose door 1 5/16” door cylinder BVM#5752 and pin type hinges as Lasse's photo.
BVM#5753 Air switch feeds air to all doors.

A retract sequencer is not required with this arrangement as the air switch only switches air to close the gear doors when the retracts are actually up.

HTH
Eric

ORIGINAL: initref

Hi,
I'm using the BVM #5751 door rams ( 1 inch stroke ) on the gear doors, with a Jetronic sequencer and actuating valves on my F-16. ( see Lasse's excellent build pics for approximate mounting location of the rams...)

Have spoke with Jeff Sewell the UK importer and he says that the single air tank supplied with the kit is sufficient to operate the gear/doors/brakes. Perhaps Eric and Lasse can confirm that they are using the supplied airtank.

Have figured out a way to tint the canopy too, model car spray for polycarbonate bodies.....sprayed on the inside of the canopy.

Barry
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 PM
initref

Eric,
Did you get a pair (2) air tanks with your kit?

Barry
Old 06-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Lasse Palm

Hi Ubirajaramarques,
I use Bvm cylinders (5751) for main gear doors and Bvm cylinders (5752) for nose gear doors and Jet tronics J-ventile for retracts and one Bvm air micro switch (5753) for all gear doors.(watch picture! I use this air system diagram for Bvm air micro switch,) I think the best choice is if you can use a large air tank for retracts and standard air tank for the brakes, because the retracts and doors use a lot of air.

Barry,
I painted the canopy from the inside with yellow clear cote.

Lasse P
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47410.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	709331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75974.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	709332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51128.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	709333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77192.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	709334   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76663.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	709335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25333.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	709336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86599.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	709337  
Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Eric Banner

Ah. I’m not sure that I actually did. But I certainly used two tanks!

Initially I was going to use a separate tank just for the brakes but decided that I’d rather have the extra capacity available for the retracts.

Eric

ORIGINAL: initref

Eric,
Did you get a pair (2) air tanks with your kit?

Barry
Old 06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
ubirajaramarques

Friends, what kind of material do you use for the transpass of the turbine? how is it made and installed inside the plane? what are the spaces between the turbine, the tailpipe and the transpass?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Eric Banner

Hi ubirajaramarques,

I didn't fit a turbine bypass as one isn't included in the kit. Turbine to tailpipe gap used was 25 mm, fairly standard for a Wren 54.

Rgds,
Eric

Friends, what kind of material do you use for the transpass of the turbine? how is it made and installed inside the plane? what are the spaces between the turbine, the tailpipe and the transpass?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31094.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	712454  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I started Construction on mine Yesterday. It took 2 days to clean off my bench. I have the kit (Nothing Installed). So I am trying to figure out the best
sequence to build it. I don't want to have to remove something that is installed to get someting else in. Looks like the nose gear may be first. I glued the 2 tab that hold the radio board in , so I have begun.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
ubirajaramarques

Dear friends, Im having problems with the main retracts. I installed the robart 5 ports air control valve for maind and nose retracts, but every time I close or open the retracts their is a linkage thru the valve and the main retract doesnt work. Just the nose retracts works but just once because all the air from the bottle had linkage because the main retracts. The air scapes thru the valve because the retracts doesnt rwach the final positions. I think their are too much Y fittings in the main retracts air line wich reduces the air flow thru the cylinders.

Is their anything I can do to fix the problem? Can anybody send me a drawing squeme showing how to install all the valves, y fittings and air tubbings for the main and nose retracts?

thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,

I am very interested to acquire a F-16 1:8 and the Jet Legend seems very nice. My concern is to know if this jet would be suitable to fly on a short paved runway (300 ft). would appreciate receiving some details for take off and landing caracteristics, how slow can you fly with this plane before stalling, what would be the minimum distance you could land the F-16 on?

Thanks for you feedback.
B. Regards. Dany
Old 07-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Jim Cattanach

What servo are you guys using for the nose steering?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM
E.Banner

Hi Ubirajaramarques,

Had a similar problem which I eventually cured by lubricating the main cylinder, internally, with a little thick Silicon grease. A drop or two of very thin silicon lubricant injected into the cylinder may work and is worth a try before going to the trouble of stripping the cylinder out.

Do the retracts work if you directly supply them with air?

The number of Y connections should have no bearing on retract operation provided they are not leaking.
The “air throttle” in the main cylinder “up” air supply line is to allow time for the strut un-locking cylinders to operate before the main cylinder shaft starts to move.

HTH
Eric

Dear friends, Im having problems with the main retracts. I installed the robart 5 ports air control valve for maind and nose retracts, but every time I close or open the retracts their is a linkage thru the valve and the main retract doesnt work. Just the nose retracts works but just once because all the air from the bottle had linkage because the main retracts. The air scapes thru the valve because the retracts doesnt rwach the final positions. I think their are too much Y fittings in the main retracts air line wich reduces the air flow thru the cylinders.

Is their anything I can do to fix the problem? Can anybody send me a drawing squeme showing how to install all the valves, y fittings and air tubbings for the main and nose retracts?

thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the same issue with the Cermark F16 gear. The air was bleeding through the cylinder on one of the main retracts. I actually opened the cylinders and added a 26gauge loop of wire in the groove of the piston and then put the original O ring back on over it. I think the groove for the O ring was machined to deep and the O ring was not able to hold the air preasure. I originally added O ring lube and that held a couple cycles but quickly gave up.
Gary Szetlak
Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Achillesfilho

Hi Eric,

Do you think the F-16 will fly ok with a RAM 500 ?

Thanks.

Achilles.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Eric Banner

Hi Achilles,

I’ve no direct experience with a Ram 500. Though I believe it develops close to 14lb thrust?

My JL F16 finished up at 17.5 lb dry and with the MW54 at 14lb is more than adequately powered. Depends on personal taste – some won’t be happy with less than 18lb from an MW54 SS while others will find it fast enough with 12lb turbine.

In short… Yes!

Eric

ORIGINAL: Achillesfilho

Hi Eric,

Do you think the F-16 will fly ok with a RAM 500 ?

Thanks.

Achilles.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Eric Banner

Hi jim,

I used a HS81MG servo with an "ox bow" in the control rod for cushioning.

Eric

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

What servo are you guys using for the nose steering?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Jim Cattanach

Hi Eric, Many thanks. I have had the F16 sitting here in its box for a few months. I decided to make a start, having made the effort to complete some other projects that never seemed to get finished.
The F16 looks a fairly easy build.
Regards
Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.