Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

duber3
Are you using an isolation mount? if so just drop the the holes the same amount on it then you are back to center .You may have to buy a new one if have already drilled the holes in the isolation mount.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok gentlemen, this is the second time I have had to step in to clean up after this petty childish bickering. Since this thread is such a source for great information there is no way I can close it down, so I'm going to have to move to the next option I have to solve this issue. I'm not going to sit here and name any names, but those that are involved in this know exactly who I am talking to here. This little "spat" needs to end right here and right now. There are people involved on both sides of this argument. I'm not going to get into who said what to start this and so on.... There have been not PM's sent to any of those involved, instead I am posting here. Everybody involved has been given this one free pass, because if this argument does not stop right now I will start putting members on Moderated Status (MS). While on moderated status a member will not be able to have any posts appear in any forum until they are approved by the moderator for that forum. We are all supposed to be adults here in this thread, let's try and act like it for a change.

To be totally honest with you all, I expect to see behavior like this from the Car forums. But I'm totally shocked to see it from this forum. It has been my experience that guys like all of you that can build such fantastic scale models are usually mature and know how to behave.

Ken
Old 07-06-2007, 08:08 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Bill
The 62 responded great about 73 to 7500 rpm on a 20 X 6 X 10 with plenty of power, will try a 22 X 8 on one of the next flights, once it was up to circuit hight only used 3/4 throtle did not do any areo's, just tryed to get every thing trimmed out, coupla of pic passes at about 1/2 throtle, hope to get back in the air next week have to sort out program to mix flaps and elevators.

I soft mounted as that what the plans called for and that put the engine just right in the cowl, I have been flying a 1/3 weeks bipe for a number of years with a G-38 soft mounted and it has been great, note: when bolts are tight it is allmost solid Tanks are boxed and no evedance of bubbles or foam in the fuel, so I gues if it aint brook don't fix it.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Btotherhood #5

PS Pete would be an exelent help to you.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
duber3

I do not use the isolation mount, is it dangerous??

Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damgerous? Nope it is just a rubber grommet based system to mount your engine and reduce vibration to the airframe.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Bill Jennings
My Feedback: (85)

G'Day Bob.
Thanks again for that mate, a big help.
Pete, now that we are good boys again can you send me that info that Ron used please?

Regards.
Bill.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good? Me? Never!

seems I'm not allowed to make any comment no matter what the procation. Sheesh talk about inconsistency!

So Bill what is it you are chasing?

All we use are these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ774&P=ML

you will need to modify the holes to suit a G62 as they are done for a US41 engine. I made a new ply pice entirely for the DA-50 as it's footprint is much wider.

next post will have some pics of the engine mount setup I used. Different plane but exaclt the same principle and setup used on both.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Take a look at this thread for some thoughts about it;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5905006/tm.htm

Here's a pic of the ZDZ-100 in my Edge, it's pretty typical of what you see in the IMAC stuff now. The aluminum pieces are baffling which contacts the inside of the cowl on top just behind the bugeyes. Then there is also a piece mounted inside the cowl on the bottom of the bugeyes that runs right up to the cylinders.
I watch this thread pretty religiously since I have the TF Corsair but have not yet started building it, I'm still in the parts aquisition mode and thinking it will be a Winter project...[8D]

But where my experience with GS gasser powered stuff might be of interest to the guys who are currently building, I chime in occasionally. This is the case with the question of whether or not the engines should be soft mounted.

Take a look at the link above for a discussion from guys who've been around gassers for quite some time and make your own decision about whether or not the information/opinions are valid.

For me, none of my gasser powered IMAC stuff is soft mounted and while I've not been into this stuff as long as most other folks posting here, I've never seen a soft mounted gasser engine in an IMAC model.

edit info:

The pic didn't come through on the quote, so here is the picture again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44975.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	717567  
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bill, where did your post go mate? Was going to post some engine mount pics but think I will get strife for that too. You will have to look through the P47 thread to see what you are after.

cheers
P
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 PM
rt3232

hi Zeeb

You are so right on that one ,our guys that are flying 3D all use hard mount, but one of the fellows tell us theat after some hours the birds show some cracking, he is burnning about 3 gal's a week. I don't know the bird type but they are big.

Bob t
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok gentlemen, this is the second time I have had to step in to clean up after this petty childish bickering. Since this thread is such a source for great information there is no way I can close it down, so I'm going to have to move to the next option I have to solve this issue. I'm not going to sit here and name any names, but those that are involved in this know exactly who I am talking to here. This little "spat" needs to end right here and right now. There are people involved on both sides of this argument. I'm not going to get into who said what to start this and so on.... There have been not PM's sent to any of those involved, instead I am posting here. Everybody involved has been given this one free pass, because if this argument does not stop right now I will start putting members on Moderated Status (MS). While on moderated status a member will not be able to have any posts appear in any forum until they are approved by the moderator for that forum. We are all supposed to be adults here in this thread, let's try and act like it for a change.

To be totally honest with you all, I expect to see behavior like this from the Car forums. But I'm totally shocked to see it from this forum. It has been my experience that guys like all of you that can build such fantastic scale models are usually mature and know how to behave.

Ken

Thanks for stepping in, but I still think you are being too soft. If you don't ban NCIS, Oz and Corsair Kidd for a month or longer, then threats like this have no stick. Make the punishment visible and equal for all. I'm tired of the crap on this forum and I hope that you proactively deal with it. I wouldn't blame you for banning me, and Timothy Thompson, and Bill Jennings for some period of time as well for contributing to the problem. I'm not afraid to call out names, so lets set some ground rules and move on. And to be clear, the only reason that I have a dog in this fight is to insure that this continues to be a great resource. I have no interest in the specific argument. There are wrongs on both sides.

Tom
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 AM
duber3

Thank Zeeb for the info, but my question was, the motor is 1/4" too hight and I do not use soft mount, is there a problem
to let the engine 1/4" too hight and if there is a problem what will be??

thank!!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 AM
rt3232

Dubber3

My 2 pennys worth I would plug the holes with hard wood dowl and re-drill to put engine in the right place (centered in the cowl)

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Duber3,

What Bob said...
Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
NCIS

Tim,

Isn't OZ a piece of work! I just stay away from that guy. He has some Marbles loose. He is probably an engineer that we always complain about because it works but when it comes time to fix it they didn't think of how to get to the par to replace once the whole product is assembled. By the way OZ before you poke fun at what I do, I'm a Retired Captain from the Houston, Texas Police Department. So go ahead, make a rude comment because I don't care what you say. JA!!

Barry
Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
rt3232

Winston hear is that pic of the tank as I box them.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95696.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	775.8 KB
ID:	717982  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM
cimara

Thanks Bob that makes sense to me now
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
NCIS

Bob,

Why do you box your fuel tanks? I have never seen anyone do it before. Without foam doesn't vibration cause a problem. Or is gas different than glow fuel and won't foam up?

Barry
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
rt3232

Barry

No real reason except I boxed the tank in my week bipe about 16 years ago and have never had a problem so I did it in the corsair and when running with out the cowl No bubbles or foaming, it wotk for me and I would never tell any one to do it with out some testing on there system. I sill use foam on my nitro engines, as that is a hole different world

Cheers Bob T

Corsair brotherhood #5
Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
NCIS

Bob,

I like the box Idea and think I will incorporate it in my Corsair build. It makes a nice little nest for the tank.

Barry
Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Bob,

Have you ever tried lining your box with foam? That way you'd get the best of both worlds. From what you said it's not necessary but I do like safety.

David
Old 07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
rt3232

david

No I have not I am of the belief if it aint broke don't fix it, like I said do your testing on your bird as it could be different.

Bob t
Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Bob,

I agree with you 100% on the if it ain't broke thing. I just hoped you could compare the two for me. This will be my first gasser so I'm testing everything.......................twice.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
rt3232

David

Vary smart move, its the only way to realy know your bird.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

6/07/07
CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD ROSTER
George,Ctflyboy #1
Daren, Deven #2
David, Tomcat #3
Gibb, Ncis #4
Bob, Rt #5
Winston,Cimara # 6
Charlie,Foxfoto #7
Cliff,600 #8
Tim Thompson, # 9
Dave, D Bronk #10
Scott,Scotty C #11
Mike,Wulf190 #12
B Bowen #13
R Schaffer # 14
M Callahan # 15
Bear with me guys, checking to see that I'm doing this right by bringing it forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.