Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sterling Tiger Moth build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sterling Tiger Moth build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Azzir325

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Tiger Moth build

Ok so I'm a sucker, but I bought this vintage (late 70's) Tiger Moth on, of course, Ebay. It's got a 33 inch wing, supposed to be 4 way kit (yeah, right!). Of course, I'm going to rc it.

Well, I got 1st glue on it tonight. Started the upper wings. I have to laugh at the alleged "die cutting" this model barely has the part outlines die cut! And when you look for parts on different sheets, you find some so soft they cut like butter and others made out of balsa that cuts like PLYWOOD! OMG what have I gotten myself into?? LMAO!

Anyway, I can see that this build is not going to be quick, and it's going to take a lot of thinking (sheet plans and not much use) and engineering to install the rc components, but I'm up to it. I have a few brushless motors and I think one of them will be a fit. Probably be a good thing to go electric with this model. Less vibration and no greasy mess!

I'll post updates along the way. I'd love to hear from anybody with comments or experience with this or similar models.
Rick
Old 07-22-2007, 01:20 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Tiger Moth build

A friend built this TM years ago from the kit and powered it with a 280 geared motor.
It flew very well, so much so that I took the plan and started making templates for the wing ribs and fuselage half-formers, with the intention of scratch building a few models from it.
It flew without ailerons, but you could add them with today's technology.
Good luck, and post lots of pics please! it could just give me the push to get on with mine.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Azzir325

Well, I've been doing a little bit of work here and there. Making progress on the wings. I can't believe how tedious cutting the ribs out was! What a PITA! But they are all cut out and in place. I am in the middle of the glueing now. Once I get the ribs in place, ther are a few other small parts to glue and then the leading edge.

It's kind of funny, this kit is so old it keeps telling me to "let the glue dry thoroughly, preferably overnite." That's a throwback to the days of white glue!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Azzir325

Wings built. Elevator and rudder assembled. Flipped the plans over and starting on the fuse. Sure makes a guy appreciate ARF's!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Azzir325

A quick update. All major structures are built, and the upper wing is joined. It ain't perfect, but it is close. I have ordered 4 new micro servos and have the build on hold till they arrive. I have cut the rudder and elevator as required for RC, and given serious consideration to the installation of ailerons. The problem with ailerons is that the lower wing will require serious attention to construct a trailing edge and then a leading edge on the cut off piece which will form the aileron. The suggested method in the plans won't work. It has both edges flat and vertical, which means no travel. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll buy aileron stock in balsa of the approximately appropriate chord. This will simplify the joint and halve the number of "edges" I have to build.

So there's not too much I can do until the servos arrive. I need them in hand to make mounts and determine the best locations for them. Once I have them I can check approximately where to put them for weight management. I can glue on the silkspan on the upper wing and tail surfaces, but can't cover the rest until I do the servo install.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your having fun! Can you post some pictures please??

-Johnny-
Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Azzir325

Let's see if this works..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72462.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	742170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37787.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	742171  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Azzir325

Here's some more.

Name:	Bz78248.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	742172   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10976.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	742173  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Azzir325

Last one.

Name:	Sp45456.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	742174  
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really cool!! I would do the aileron mod, it shouldn't be that difficult.

-Johnny-
Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Azzir325

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. With a strip aileron I should be able to install some wood in the wing trailing edge and then cement in some cut down ca hinges. I figure to use 2 servos-there ain't enough room in the fuse for a 3rd servo anyway.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Azzir325

OK, it's November now. I have been neglecting this build, but thought I'd say hello!

I have done some other stuff, but recently I decided to mess with the Moth since it is cluttering up my work table. I have placed the servos-2 in the fuse behind the cabin, and one in each lower wing. I have done some covering the old fashioned way-white glue on the framework and slap the silk into it till it dries on wax paper. I have added the sheathing to the fuse.

I did do the aileron mod as you may have gathered from my mention of the wing servos. It was labor intensive, but I think it will be worthwhile if and when I ever finish this thing. But you know what? If I keep working on it, I WILL finish it. That's a big "IF"!!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crud. I wish I had seen this before. I would have recommended "Z" hinges for the ailerons. No bevel required, just two flat surfaces.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Azzir325

Not sure what a "Z" hinge is? Cloth from top to bottom? Still don't see how that would really have mattered. I would still have to install a trailing edge and a leading edge at the aileron hinge line. I used aileron stock, which has a nice beveled leading edge, and took some square balsa, cut to length to fit between the wing ribs and glued in on the diagonal which gave me a nice bevel to work with. A little sandpaper action and some slots and it's perfect for mini CA hinges. I do plan to use "Z" hinges, if they are what I think they are, for the rudder and elevator since the leading and trailing edges there are so small that slotting them would likely split them.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Azzir325

I have been moving right along with this Moth. The upper wing is covered. The rudder and elevator are covered and hinged and I am installing the control horns. I am waiting on an order which includes DuBro mini pushrods for the tail, and need them in hand before I can finalize their locations. I have epoxied the completed but not yet covered lower wings onto the completed but not covered fuse. I did my best at getting them aligned and the incidences close. There is a brushless outrunner screwed onto the firewall, and the plastic cowl has been cut, fitted and glued together. I designed it to be removable for motor access. Once I have the pushrods and tail feathers in place, it will be time to fit the upper wing and locate the battery, speed control and receiver for balance. After I have those decisions and installations in place, I will cover the fuse and lower wing and glue on the upper wing. Add wheels and prop and then we'll see. I'll get a few pictures in here soon. Meanwhile, any suggestions for a tiny steerable tailwheel? I have a few ideas myself, but anyone with a really simple idea I would love to hear from.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Azzir325

Here are the pics I promised. I have attached the tail feathers now. There is a shot of one lower wing with it's servo, and the 2 servos in the fuse for tail control, as well as a pic with the upper wing laying there. It's coming along.

Name:	Bz78683.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	809936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86912.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	809937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87295.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	809938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja42303.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	809939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut26777.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	809940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wj51655.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	809941  
Old 12-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Azzir325

So now Christmas is approaching and the weather outside is frightful. I have abandoned deer hunting this year and instead have been building the backlog of ARF's I have accumulated over the years, including an Accel profile Pitts (chronicled in it's own thread) and a yello P 51 with retracts that I think really came out AWESOME for a no name Chinese kit. Or maybe my building skills are getting better? Who knows. The Pitts flys GREAT, but I haven't flown the 'Stang yet. Bring on the Spring!

Back on topic, the Tiger Moth is moving along. I spent a few more hours on it installing the tail feather pushrods and a tailwheel. I decided to go ahead and use the wheels (main and tail) that came with the kit even tho they are heavy just for ha ha's sake. The instructions kind of leave you up in the air on the tailwheel install, but they do give you a piece of wire to bend into shape. So I bent it and put it tho a short length of pushrod tube which I glued into a groove I carved on the very end of the fuse. A dob of glue on the top and the bottom of the wire gave me a serviceable free moving tailwheel. After observing that the top of the axle was very close to the forward edge of the rudder, I added a bit of glue there tying the tailwheel to the rudder and thereby creating a steerable tailwheel. We'll see how long it lasts.

With all servos installed it was time to wire up the esc, add the receiver and battery and see if it all works. It does! I thought it might be cool to taxi the naked plane around my kitchen floor for a bit, and I was right! LOL! She seems to want to go. Now it is time to finish the covering, install the top wing, shrinky dink the silkspan and shoot it with some paint. At this rate, come springtime she might be ready to maiden! Here's some pics I took this morning. And a shot of the Mustang.

Name:	Om32011.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	821976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52776.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	821977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75329.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	821978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb54335.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	821979  
Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Azzir325

Today dawned cold, but calm. I have completed the Moth, except for the paint job, and I decided to see if it's 1st flight would also be it's last flight before I bother painting it. LOL. Long story short, After a long ground run I got it off the ground, and it flew! Not far tho. I put it down and did it another few times. After that, I didn't seem to have enough power and couldn't get it off the ground. I am not jumping to conclusions yet about whether there is enough motor or battery power. I THINK there is, but I am in no way shape or form knowledgeable about electric. It is a brushless, 1080 kv and I have a 2 cell 900 ma lipo to power it. I was running a 7 by 6 master airscrew glo prop direct drive, and in my kitchen taxi testing it sure seemed like it would do the job. It's possible that I didn't have a full charge on the batteries, so I am going to make sure they are fully charged next time and also I have up propped to an 8 inch e prop. Hope that makes a difference. Comments from the peanut galley are encouraged. Happy New Year everybody!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Azzir325

Well, the tailwheel didn't hold up. I pulled it off and glued on a piece of wood as a tail skid. I changed out the wheels for a pair of reallly light weight ones, and perhaps most importantly, I put on an e prop that is an inch longer and also has a wider chord. If I can get my butt up tomorrow early enough, and it isn't too cold and windy, we shall see if it will fly.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
kbear

Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Azzir325

Second test flight went better then the first. I got her off the ground and once around the field! It was much better with the new prop. Maybe there was more power in the batteries also, not sure about that. But she flew nose high and the ailerons were ineffective. It took me a few seconds to understand that I needed to use the rudder for turning. I almost lost her a few times, but managed to get her back on the ground in one piece! I didn't fly again because there was a breeze and it was kicking my ass. However, I will call it a successful 2nd maiden and go from here. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Rick
Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well done!

My friend flew this model years ago, with no ailerons.
It's not aerobatic really, and turns better on rudder alone, so why bother operating the ailerons? saves weight and trouble.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Azzir325

Thank you, Erez. After the flight I was joking with some of my buddies that I would swap the rudder stick for the aileron stick since I'm used to the bank control being with the ailerons. LOL! But anyway, the ailerons are built and will be used. I think once I get the balance thing sorted out they may be more effective. Rick
Old 05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Azzir325

Final post, with pics.

After a few flights, each one better then the last, I decided it would be worth painting. I sprayed a few coats of yellow on her, and did the cowl in olive brown. I enjoy flying her at my small field local HS with a group of mainly small electric type guys. I don't miss having a tailwheel, she steers fine on the ground with the big old rudder. The ailerons work fine, and she likes a touch of rudder in the turns. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

Not sure why the color looks so washed out. It IS yellow.

Name:	Rp42193.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	948768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj66241.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	948769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca51646.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	130.3 KB