Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Texas

Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas

Hey guy's looking at the possibility of doing a job transfer to the Dallas/fort worth area!!! can anyone tell me what to expect for flying conditions, ie winds , heat etc? and how many flying fields can i expect to find in the area, i fly mostly big birds!!!

Thanks Kevin
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Texas

“Normal” weather for July-August is sunny, mid 90s to low 100s, very little rain, high humidity.

We’ve had totally weird weather this year. We were in a drought for over two years. The lakes looked like puddles and cities were under mandatory water restrictions. Now we’re having record rainfall. Some of the lakes and rivers are flooding. The field where I fly has been underwater, or muddy, for a long time. Last Saturday was the first flying day in 8 weeks. We’re hoping to fly this Saturday, but according to weather.com it is probably raining at the field right now.

I plugged my employer’s zip code (75265) into the AMA club search. This zip is near downtown Dallas.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Using a 50 mile radius it returns 25 clubs.

Most of the clubs have web sites so you might be able to see photos of the fields.

I’m a member of the Greenville RC club. www.greenvillerc.com We’re a small club. One of our members owns, and lives on, the property where we fly. We have a grass runway that’s about 600 feet long. A few have big birds but most of us fly 60 size or smaller. With the exception of turbines (fire danger) all types of planes are welcome. The grass tends to be tough on retracts but some guys have them. Saturdays are our primary flying day.

Rockwall has a propex(?) runway. Several guys there have turbines. You face west while flying so it is a morning flyer’s field. Before they got into jets; a few guys would fly at Rockwall early, have lunch, then fly at Greenville until sunset.

Rowlett is very close to me. The field is on city property. It’s fairly small. There’s a creek, bike path, duck ponds, etc near the flying area. I’m not good enough to stay in a confined space so I do not try to fly there. You face west while flying so it is a morning flyer’s field.

I have not been to any other clubs. I know some of the bigger clubs have hard surface runways.

If you do come down for interviews, or house hunting, try to reach a club contact to find out if their field is usable. Most of the flying sites are a fairly long drive so you don’t want to head out if it’s going to be deserted.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the info, also you didnt mention wind! does there there tend to be more windy days than not?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

There is usually more wind than not. Right now (July/August) is probably the least wind., 5 - 10 mph, most of the rest of the year it's more like 10 - 20 mph or more. Get to a weather site and select Dallas or Fort Worth and get daily and average weather info. It will give you a better idea of what to expect.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: twister

Thanks for the info, also you didnt mention wind! does there there tend to be more windy days than not?
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...504?dp=windsdp
Old 07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
jetmech05

hot and windy and I mean hot, still in the 90's at midnight not uncommon.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Kevin,

I do hope you move to the DFW area. Specifically Arlington, population 320,000+, home of the Texas Rangers and future home of the Dallas Cowboys - 2009 and Six Flags over Texas.

Yes, we have had strange weather this year but it has been cooler than normal for July. I fly giant scale almost exclusively but sometimes I toss an electric foamy into the air. There is a lot of giant scale activity in the area. I belong to 3 clubs.

This is an area of the country where year round flying is the norm. There are a few weekends during the year where the wind is too strong or it is too rainy to fly but that is not the norm. We have some of the best flying weather in the fall and early winter. March and April seem to be the windiest months.

Here is a good weather web site for the area.
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...t=Get+Forecast

Come on down.