Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 PM
washguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

ORIGINAL: ke4jjh

Thanks Washguy thats great news. I think I'll head down to the LHS and pick one up.

Thanks Opjose, I have an 11x6 I took off my Twist, I'll give it a try on my P-51 next trip to the field.

Hey Ke4...you will have to whittle out the cowling so you can get to the hi and low speed screws for the 55...just got back from the field....ive got 7 other planes,but the only one that I take now is the 51.......it just screams.....I accidently won a ys 110 on ebay....so looks like a 60 size 51 will have to be built!....lol Wash
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
RCHubbub

For what it's worth, when FS One came out with the Mustang PTS for the simulator, I checked the sim's radar results against real world data recorder results that were in a PTS review.

So modifying the sim model with different props, I came up with this.

Level flight, no droops, no flaps, no speed brakes, but unable to compensate for removal of the flywheel weight at this time:

Evolution 10x4x3 prop: 55 MPH (real world data recorder results)
Evolution 10x4x3: 63 MPH (sim results)
MAS 10x7x3: 65 MPH (sim)
APC 10x7x2: 67 MPH (sim)
APC 11x7x2: 69 MPH (sim)
APC 11x6x2: 83 MPH (sim)

So of those props and sim results (with as many grains of salt desired), the 11x6 is the clear winner at least for top speed.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 AM
rcflyer54

Great Idea but might lure someone into thinlin they can fly a warbird and buy one and crash??
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
ke4jjh

Washguy...
yeah I know all about those accidental wins on ebay. Thats how I ended up with my 2nd Twist, and the extra fuselage for the P-51. But its all good, I got plenty of spare parts for when I get stupid. Speaking of spare parts, I had a very rough landing awhile back that ripped one of the landing gear blocks out of the original wing. Hmmm... might be good retract project material, since I have to replace the blocks anyway might as well hack it up to put in some retracts. Hmmm... I've got 2 spare fuselages, I might be able to put together a P-82 PTS. Oh yeah, twin P-51s that would be cool. Sorry typing out loud again.

Yep, If you have the engine you've got to build a plane for it. My problem, I have too many planes and not enough engines.

RCHubbub...
Thanks for the info. I think your numbers are pretty close. I know when I put the 10-6 on top speed increased dramaticly. I'm going to try it with the 11-6 this weekend weather permiting. A lot of rain here lately.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
PA BEN

How about a magnum 70. Just put this on and what a new plane. 13x6 was to much prop to slow down for landings but a 13x5 works great. I didn't use the landing flaps with the Ev.46 but I do now. Lands great. I think I'm going to start to have fun with this plane.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
PA BEN

Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
smooreace

Washguy...
yeah I know all about those accidental wins on ebay. Thats how I ended up with my 2nd Twist, and the extra fuselage for the P-51. But its all good, I got plenty of spare parts for when I get stupid. Speaking of spare parts, I had a very rough landing awhile back that ripped one of the landing gear blocks out of the original wing. Hmmm... might be good retract project material, since I have to replace the blocks anyway might as well hack it up to put in some retracts. Hmmm... I've got 2 spare fuselages, I might be able to put together a P-82 PTS. Oh yeah, twin P-51s that would be cool. Sorry typing out loud again.

Yep, If you have the engine you've got to build a plane for it. My problem, I have too many planes and not enough engines.

RCHubbub...
Thanks for the info. I think your numbers are pretty close. I know when I put the 10-6 on top speed increased dramaticly. I'm going to try it with the 11-6 this weekend weather permiting. A lot of rain here lately.

I dont understand "accidental"! you bid early for no reason at all except to make the price go up prematurely, and then pay to much for everything in the end. Iv e spent probably close to to $20000 on ebay since its start and have only lost MAYBE 3 auctions, and have NEVER paid more than my first decided high price when I see the auction start. People bidding any more than a few hours from the auction end cant be bidding for success, their only bidding to cost others more. In a live auction tahts fraudulant bidding and is grounds for a ban from future auction.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 PM
washguy

ORIGINAL: smooreace

Washguy...

RCHubbub...

I dont understand "accidental"! you bid early for no reason at all except to make the price go up prematurely, and then pay to much for everything in the end. Iv e spent probably close to to $20000 on ebay since its start and have only lost MAYBE 3 auctions, and have NEVER paid more than my first decided high price when I see the auction start. People bidding any more than a few hours from the auction end cant be bidding for success, their only bidding to cost others more. In a live auction tahts fraudulant bidding and is grounds for a ban from future auction.

Hi Smoo! by accidental bidding...I bid on the auction 4 days before it was to end....and when I bid I only placed the bid bout ten bucks over what the high bid was....and when I won it was 1 buck more than the other bidder...so whats the problem?...lol Wash
Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: PA BEN

How about a magnum 70. Just put this on and what a new plane. 13x6 was to much prop to slow down for landings but a 13x5 works great. I didn't use the landing flaps with the Ev.46 but I do now. Lands great. I think I'm going to start to have fun with this plane.
I've been looking for a Taz for my PTS for weeks without success. Please, where did you get him?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 PM
PA BEN

Yard sale.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:30 AM
ke4jjh

ORIGINAL: smooreace

Smooreace, let me try to explain:

An accidental win on ebay, at least where washguy and I are concerned, is a win that 1. You really didn't think your bid was high enough to win but bid anyway and won, 2. You only bid one bump up from the other persons bid knowing he will probably out bid you but then he doesn't. But to be a truely accidental win they both have to be without the wife's permission. Thats what makes it accidental, at least thats what we tell the wife anyway. So ssshhh before she hears you.

So you see, nothing sinister here. However to take you to task, its only fraudulant biding if the bidder never intended on making the purchase and intent is a hard thing to prove. Back before automatic bidding came along, last minute bidding was how you won an auction. So I don't know how you can say bidding at the last minute is just being malicous. I remember when Ebay first started, I had to get more memory for my computer so I could open up more windows of the auction to make faster last minute bids in case somebody out bid me. You couldn't set a price and it bid it for you everytime you were out bid. Back then it was exciting, stressfull and sometimes infuriating. In a word... FUN. I won't even place a bid on an item until the day it closes. That way I can gauge if its in my price range and not waste time on it. I bid on auctions to get the lowest price and thats my first bid, but if I decide its something I really want I'll bid more. Actually IMOO automatic bidding has taken the fun out of auctions.

In my case with the Twist I bid one bump up which was like a $1.75 with a day and a half left to go and the price was way lower than they had been going for so I never dreamed the bid would hold. Did I maliciously up the bid $1.75? No I really wanted the plane I just didn't have the wife's ok, but the price was too good not to try. Even if I had to sleep on the couch. Now, if I didn't really want the plane and just bid on it because I didn't want somebody to pay less than I did for the same item, then that would be fraudulant bidding. Its all about intent.
I doubt that its a very big problem because it could get quite expensive very quickly. You don't know if anyone will out bid you if you do bump it up and then your stuck buying something you didn't want or getting in trouble for not paying for it. I don't know if you could reliably do it or not but you defintely couldn't do it for long.

So you made an assumption about people you don't know, doing something you don't understand and passed judgement on both. That's a really bad habit to have in this medium. Jumping to conclusions can be damaging to your character.
If you had stopped at "I don't understand accidental", it would have saved us from feeling accused of doing something wrong and me a lot of typing.

Sorry about the long post guys, I just hate to be accused of something I didn't do.

Anyhow, PA BEN... Great looking plane, love the TAZ and the TAT. I've got to get me a pilot for mine, just don't know what I want
Old 08-04-2007, 01:13 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Should these planes be balanced lateral as well as nose to tail? I have the nose to tail perfect but when I check side to side it wants to tip down on the right (the side with the muffler) I bought some weights but am unsure if I need to do this because the manual dosent mention it. So I am to wonder does the engine torque play a role in picking that side back up?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
PA BEN

Yes, all planes should be balanced lateral.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
JPriami

okay thanks. I figured so. I just wasn't sure if one side was supposed to be heavy to counter act torque or not. but making it balance level is correct then I am in good shape. thanks .
Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 PM
ke4jjh

Yes, balance every thing. The less force you have to counter act with trim the better. A prop balancer is a very good investment too. Most props are off a little and balancing increases engine life.

PA BEN... Did you have to do a lot of shoe horning to get that monster in?

Anybody having a problem with their P-51 vearing to the left on the takeoff roll from engine torque? I counter with rudder but wonder if mine is the only one. If I run up slow and use the whole runway its not a prob but if I run up fast to try a quick takeoff its a big prob.

Our Field

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72407.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	735698  
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Jinxx
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I have now had 6 successful flights on my P-51 (with someone else landing it for me each time). This plane flies great! I am essentially a newbie since I only flew a trainer maybe 6 times 15yrs ago.

I went with the ARF version and am using a Futaba 9CAP for radio and an OS Max .46AX for power. I also decided to go with a 3-blade Master Airscrew prop and a Tru-Turn aluminum spinner. The plane is fast and has plenty of power. I have functional flaps but I haven't used them yet in flight. I also took the airbrakes off before her first flight but I still have the wing droops on (think I'll take them off next time I fly). Here's a picture:

I am going to redo her name with lettering rather than a sticker. I used Avery sticker paper, printed the name and then applied clear nail polish to protect the ink but you can see the outline too easily and the sticker is starting to peel
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
JPriami

Well I didn't get to fly today but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I did balance the plane out nose to tail & lateraly today along with putting on a new nose cone. So hopefully it will fly a bit better than the last few times. I also decided to try and use my speed brakes to make the landing gear look a little better. I turned them sideways, upside down, zip tied & even applied a little epoxy to help hold them there. I just couldn't stand the way the steel rods came down to the wheels all alone. It looked skinny/funny to me. This way it looks better to me. Hopefully it wont effect flight by any means noticeable and they are straight so it should be okay. I'll find out next flight. Sorry for the grainy camera phone pic.

Name:	Tr50151.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	735805  
Old 08-04-2007, 08:12 PM
JPriami

ORIGINAL: Jinxx

Well, I have now had 6 successful flights on my P-51 (with someone else landing it for me each time). This plane flies great! I am essentially a newbie since I only flew a trainer maybe 6 times 15yrs ago.

I went with the ARF version and am using a Futaba 9CAP for radio and an OS Max .46AX for power. I also decided to go with a 3-blade Master Airscrew prop and a Tru-Turn aluminum spinner. The plane is fast and has plenty of power. I have functional flaps but I haven't used them yet in flight. I also took the airbrakes off before her first flight but I still have the wing droops on (think I'll take them off next time I fly). Here's a picture:

I am going to redo her name with lettering rather than a sticker. I used Avery sticker paper, printed the name and then applied clear nail polish to protect the ink but you can see the outline too easily and the sticker is starting to peel

Nice [8D]
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
mouthpiec

ORIGINAL: NitroSS

Well I didn't get to fly today but hopefully tomorrow will be better. I did balance the plane out nose to tail & lateraly today along with putting on a new nose cone. So hopefully it will fly a bit better than the last few times. I also decided to try and use my speed brakes to make the landing gear look a little better. I turned them sideways, upside down, zip tied & even applied a little epoxy to help hold them there. I just couldn't stand the way the steel rods came down to the wheels all alone. It looked skinny/funny to me. This way it looks better to me. Hopefully it wont effect flight by any means noticeable and they are straight so it should be okay. I'll find out next flight. Sorry for the grainy camera phone pic.
Let me know the results mate. I have the airbrakes installed as you did, but I have some doubts that during flight it will make a difference. Let me know if you notice any differences
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
ke4jjh

Jinxx...
Beautiful! The plane looks great. When you take the droops off it will become quite an agile plane. Your going to love it. The flaps make the landings nice and slow and it takes off in half the distance. I would start with about 15 degrees. Your radio should let you have more than one flap setting. You may want to mix in some down elevator with your flap switch to keep it from ballooning when you engage them on approach. I don't have mixing in my radio so I just engage them early. Love the spinner. What size prop are you using?

NitroSS...
The brakes mounted that way won't make any difference to the way the plane flys as long as they stay straight. The epoxy should make sure of that. Just make sure there is enough clearance between the top of the speed brake and the wing to allow for the gear flex when you land and not poke a hole in the wing. I have seen a lot done that way with no problems. I haven't gotten around to doing mine yet. Yours looks great! It looks alot better than the bare wire. What size prop and spinner are you using?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
JPriami

Jinxx...
Beautiful! The plane looks great. When you take the droops off it will become quite an agile plane. Your going to love it. The flaps make the landings nice and slow and it takes off in half the distance. I would start with about 15 degrees. Your radio should let you have more than one flap setting. You may want to mix in some down elevator with your flap switch to keep it from ballooning when you engage them on approach. I don't have mixing in my radio so I just engage them early. Love the spinner. What size prop are you using?

NitroSS...
The brakes mounted that way won't make any difference to the way the plane flys as long as they stay straight. The epoxy should make sure of that. Just make sure there is enough clearance between the top of the speed brake and the wing to allow for the gear flex when you land and not poke a hole in the wing. I have seen a lot done that way with no problems. I haven't gotten around to doing mine yet. Yours looks great! It looks alot better than the bare wire. What size prop and spinner are you using?

Its a 2 3/4 aluminum spinner from great planes if memory serves (threw the box away) Had to buy and adapter nut and the prop I am going to try this time is a MA 11x5 2 blade. I have tried a APC 11x4 and it worked well. I have a MA 11x7 to try still also. Last flight I used a APC 10x7 it was a lot faster than the stock 3 blade for sure.

Hope the weather is nice Sunday. I'm ready to hear and engine in the sky instead of my electrics.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 AM
stallwart

On the use of the airbrakes as gear doors, I was worried about how they would affect flight. It turns out any effect is negligible from my experience. Many times, after landing, the doors would be skewed, but no problems were encountered due to them during flight.

The PTS will tend to drift to the left on takeoff like any other rc plane. Just learn to input the necessary amount of right rudder and learn to release right rudder pressure when no longer needed on takeoff. With the gear in the "out of the box" forward cant, the plane handles a bit like a wheelbarrow on the ground, but is still easy to manage.

The pic is of my first PTS (300+ flights)---note the gear doors. It has since been given to a friend that will soon have it flying in a scheme that matches the plane his father flew during the war. I'm still flying my second one on a regular basis. Both have been improved by some of the mods posted in this thread.

I guess I'll need yet another one for my FS-70.

Name:	Vt57022.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	735948  
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
JPriami

After reading some on here I wonder.
What real advantages does removing the flywheel weight do? Make the engine rev faster? I thought of trying this. But Once I remove the weight I will have to rebalance the plane and there is no weight in the tail I can remove to counter act the removed weight from the fly wheel. I'd have to add weight back to the nose? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose a bit?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:36 AM
stallwart

You probably won't notice the difference as far as balance goes. You might notice the difference in the response of the engine and the plane in flight----both positive.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 AM
ke4jjh

NitroSS...
My official weather forcast for you is a beautiful day. Light winds in the morning increasing to about 5 mph by 10:00am and 10 to 12 mph by noon. Partly cloudy with a high of 93. Closest Rain to you is north Central KY moving West to East. Looks like a great day to go flying.
Here is a link to a great place for wind forcasts. Closest it gets to you is Clarksville and Nashville but should still be fairly accurate.
[link]http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KBNA&model=avn&state=TN[/link]

I agree with stallwart, only difference should be throttle response. You can always move your battery a bit forward to compensate. I still have mine on.
I'm running a MAS 10X6 but will be trying a APC 11X6 today.

Stallwart...
Thanks for the info. Its not that big of a deal, just wanted to know if anybody else was having the same prob. It just seemed a little excessive. My P-51 kicks left a lot more than any of my other planes. I can keep a little up elevator and it tracks true all the way but it lifts off without the tail coming up first and that doesn't look as cool.

You have about the same weather forcast as NitroSS except clear skys and 97 for the high and the wind may pick up a little sooner for you. Here is your link.
[link]http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KLIT&model=avn&state=AR[/link]

Yep! If you've got an engine you have to get a plane for it! Thats why My wife won't let me buy any engines.

Hope everybody gets to go fly and have fun today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.