Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 AM
PA BEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

I took the fly wheel off of mine and it did make my plane tail heavy. I put a heavy hub on and it fit under my spinner. I also drilled holes in the baffle in the muffler. Used a 12x5 prop worked good. The plane flew good and better but still a little under powered for my liking. The magnum 70’s weight made up for the heavy hub and the CG came out just a little tail heavy. But it makes perfect 3 wheel landing with flaps. My first flight day with the magnum 70, I made 6 perfect landing and went home without bent landing gear.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: stallwart

The PTS will tend to drift to the left on takeoff like any other rc plane. Just learn to input the necessary amount of right rudder and learn to release right rudder pressure when no longer needed on takeoff. With the gear in the "out of the box" forward cant, the plane handles a bit like a wheelbarrow on the ground, but is still easy to manage.
There is an easy fix for this.

Adjust the tail wheel gear so that the plane sits more level than it does now.

The "flatter" the angle or incidence of the plane to the runway the less it tends to ground loop or yaw on takeoff.

You do want some positive incidence, but lowering the amount has a rather dramatic effect.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: NitroSS

After reading some on here I wonder.
What real advantages does removing the flywheel weight do? Make the engine rev faster? I thought of trying this.
To get my PTS's C.G. right I originally had to add 2oz of lead at the tail.

My instructor at the time suggested moving the C.G. BACK even further, resulting in an addition 2oz on the tail.

When I removed the 2oz flywheel weight, I also remove the 4oz of lead at the tail.

For me, the removal of the flywheel, saved about 1/2lb of weight on the plane. This is significant and did affect it's performance.

The APC 11x6x2 prop seemed to pull it around with greater authority after this change.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 PM
PA BEN

Another picture
Old 08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
ke4jjh

ORIGINAL: opjose

There is an easy fix for this.

Adjust the tail wheel gear so that the plane sits more level than it does now.

The "flatter" the angle or incidence of the plane to the runway the less it tends to ground loop or yaw on takeoff.

You do want some positive incidence, but lowering the amount has a rather dramatic effect.

Thanks opjose! I'll give it a try. When you took the flywheel weight off, what did you use to keep the spacing between the spinner and the cowl?

Today was one of those should have slept late then got up and mowed the lawn days...well no, come to think of it, couldn't even have done that. Got up at 5:30 did the morning routine S.S.S. (military guys know this) had the truck packed and ready to go at 6:30. The wife, who never wants to go flying with me, decides she wants to go today and so does her nephew. So I'm thinking, the more the merrier and I'll have some one to take some pics. Well, all us married guys know how long a wife can take to get ready. I finally get them in the truck by 8:15 get to the field at 8:30 get unpacked and realize I left the transmitter at home. So, I sent the wife back for it while I got everything set up. She, of course had to make a couple stops along the way. I finally get in the air around 9:30. The wind had come up by then but not too bad and it was straight down the run way. The temperture was way up though. man it was hot today. I took the twist up first no probs flew great. Took the P-51 up next trying the 11X6 prop. It flew great. The 11X6 seems to be a good all round prop for this engine. I want to try an 11X5 next week. Landing was perfect. It looked like the flying would make up for the day's rough start. Thats what I thought anyway. Next time out with the P-51 it seemed to struggle to get up to speed. I pushed it to full throttle and It took off, climbed out and when I made the first turn on the pattern the engine died and I had a dead stick at about 70ft. I engaged the flaps and that held her up long enough to get her turned back into the wind for a nice soft landing on the grass. I find out that for some reason it had leaned way out since it's first flight. I richened her up and back in the air she went. This time she flew perfect. Came in for a touch & go and a freak cross wind gust almost flipped her as you will see in the last pic. I decided that was enough. Packed up and went home. Remember I said something about mowing the lawn. When I got home my son wanted to mow the lawn. That alone should have been a sign. I of course said "sure, be my guest". Well he couldn't get it started. So I gave it a try and sure enough, on the second pull the rope broke. Ok fine. Forget mowing the lawn I'll tinker with the engine on the P-51 and try to find out why it leaned out on me. Fired it up and notice the ratchet on the needle was a little loose. Shut it down, tightened it up put the screwdriver in my shirt pocket. I tell you I put the screwdriver in my shirt pocket because it plays a major role in what happens next. Fire the engine back up, ran it up to do the pinch test and as I lean over to do the pinch test the screwdriver slips out of my shirt pocket. I quickly grab for the screwdriver to keep it from falling into the prop... I miss. But it's not the screwdriver that hits the prop, its my thumb. So, 2 hours at the emergency room, only 4 stitches because my thumb was so mangled that was all he could get to stay in. Taped the rest of it together, splinted it, wrapped it and told me not to move it for three days. Come to find out the Doc that fixed me up flys r/c planes too. What are the odds of that? So, as I sit here typing this post slowly with one hand, recounting the events of today I'm tempted to say "maybe I should have stayed in bed". Only tempted though because I did get to go flying today and I wouldn't have missed that for the world. Today wasn't my best day but I sure hope it was my worst.

Anybody got a neckstrap I can borrow for my transmitter, its going to be a little while before I can use my thumb again.

Thought you might find my day interesting.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30256.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	736635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37131.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	736636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63945.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	736637  
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 AM
PA BEN

Sorry to hear about your thoumb. But in my experance with this plane. Is any time you go home without bent or broken landing gear is a good day.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
smooreace

Im glad Im not the only one here with absolutely terrible luck. Not the only one that has those days that NOTHING goes right! Fingers will heal, parts can be fixed, all that matters is that were at least TRYING to have fun in the process. Good pictures BTW. I cant get my wife to take any for me... say it moves to fast to keep up with.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 AM
mouthpiec

once i had the same experience too ....... for a reason that i still do not know i put my finger in the prop!
I had to make two whole weeks with my finders tied togerher ....... and after I lost the sense of touch from the tip of one finger!

But accidents like this unfortunately happen! Make sure that they happen lest often!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
washguy

Hey Ke4jjh........GEEEZ! Hope you are doing okay! You're right...the first clue was the wife wanting to go with you!....lol
We must have been on the same wavelength this weekend....my p-51 jumped up and ate my igniter while I was removing it from the motor...bent the heck out of it...geez that was metal...not a thumb!........take care! Wash
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ke4jjh

Thanks opjose! I'll give it a try. When you took the flywheel weight off, what did you use to keep the spacing between the spinner and the cowl?

I purchased another prop washer from Evolution.

I never bothered removing the spinner from the existing washing as I was worried that I might change my mind... I never did.

The spacing was practically the same. I do not remember re-adjusting the cowl.

---

BTW: I feel your pain.

I have a nice 20+ stitch gash in my arm due to a .32 sized electric engine and a razor sharp APC prop.

I only noticed the cuts after blood started flowing out.

I also had a similiar experience with a glow ignitor...

After starting up a .75 two stroker, the ignitor dislodged, popped up into the prop, gained an awful lot of momentum, and hit my smack dead center in the forehead. Much to the unrestrained amusement of onlookers ( they only started laughing after they saw that I was OK... ).

I had a "third eye" bump on my head for over a week.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Jinxx
My Feedback: (2)

Jinxx...
Beautiful! The plane looks great. When you take the droops off it will become quite an agile plane. Your going to love it. The flaps make the landings nice and slow and it takes off in half the distance. I would start with about 15 degrees. Your radio should let you have more than one flap setting. You may want to mix in some down elevator with your flap switch to keep it from ballooning when you engage them on approach. I don't have mixing in my radio so I just engage them early. Love the spinner. What size prop are you using?

Thanks for the compliment! I have the flaps on a dial right now so I can have anything from 0 degrees up to its max travel (whatever that is). I'll experiment to see how far I have to turn the dial for 15 degrees and maybe make a mark with a sticker/tape. The prop is a 11x7x3 and works great...no lack of power or speed. I generally fly around at half throttle.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 AM
ke4jjh

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishing. It really means a lot. Here is an update on my injury... it hurts. Just kidding, it seems to be healing fine. It really does hurt but the I don't care pills the nice doctor gave me are vorking wery vell.

Jinxx...
15 is just a good starting point. Play around with it till you find the position that works for you. I'm going to give that prop a try. Where did you get yours?

opjose...
Now how did you know it was an APC prop. They are very sharp. 15 to 20 is what the Doc said I would have gotten if there had been something to put them in. I was almost disappointed. I go in with half my thumb hanging off and come out with only 4 stitches. Whats up wit dat.

Smooreace... Yeah, my wife says the same thing. I just kept doing flybys until she got something. She did get the dead stick landing on video and I didn't even tell her to do it. It was scary. She did get her normal quota of shots of the ground, the trees and the sky without my plane in it. At least she does try and thats what I love about her.

Washguy... Yep, when she said she wanted to go I should have stayed. I thought she was being sweet but then I found out she only went so I would take her to lunch on the way home.

Again, thank you all for your concern.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Jinxx
My Feedback: (2)

Jinxx...
15 is just a good starting point. Play around with it till you find the position that works for you. I'm going to give that prop a try. Where did you get yours?
I got it through my LHS but they ordered it from Tower Hobbies...here is a link to the exact prop: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA35&P=7
I got the spinner through them too.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 AM
mouthpiec

I tried both with the airbrakes as landing gear flaps (on the side) and without them, and I found that there is a bit of difference espacially when it is windy.

I have also a small question ......

when you use full throttle is it normal the the p-51 tends to go upwards?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
jorgy-Delta

I have also a small question ......

when you use full throttle is it normal the the p-51 tends to go upwards?
[/quote]

Yes , very normal.

For example, mine at 1/2 throttle needs zero trim adjustment & at full throtle needs 2 clicks of down (elevator).
At lower throttle settings, it tends to nose down slightly, which I like for landings, that way, I'm on the elevator "up" a little.
No fighting the stick trying to hold down elevator, then pull larger stick movement "up" for a 3 point flare landing.
But usually I fly it in, with a long 2 wheel run out- just like the way it looks that way.

Thats the way I set it up ( fine adjustments with the clevis ). Usually, I add 2 more clicks of down after flaps deployed ( or before ).
My radio doesn't support flap/elevator mix. []

Trimming is normal, and will vary at different speeds and wind headings ( more needed into the wind, less with the wind, usually )

- Someone asked about flap throws? I seem to remember 5/8" throw was stock set up, if that helps.
I like 1/2" throw.

- Lateral balnce- I needed 2 x 2-1/2" finishing nails. Nailed them into the wing tip, (horizontal) a drop of ca & covered with a little piece of scuff tape.
It balanced so nicely, that after a few test flights and clevis turns, it does not need any trim adjustments for level flight.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these woderful pics avialable on hi-resolution for backgrounds?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM
washguy

Hey Guys! just got back from the field...the 51 flies in any kinda condition...wind blowing about 20 crosswind....I like flaps deployed but too windy for them,so I just came in without em.... what a plane....everyone else was having trouble landing...not the 51...lol my sullivan tailwheel assembly got ripped off from the tall clumps of grass....a little CA and some kicker...back in action!
My Cosmic Wind Minnow came in today...she ought to scream with the ys 110...if it flies half a good as the 51 ill be happy! Wash
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM
BountyHunter51

A Horse of a different color...................

Here's some pics of my P-51 PTS. This is my second PTS and I couldn't bear to leave her in the stock trim scheme. Not that there is anything wrong with "Marie", she just seems to be everywhere now. That, and I really don't know when to leave something alone. LOL

This trim scheme is from the 55th FG, 343rd FS, ETO. "The Millie G" was piloted by Maj. Edward Giller. There is ALOT of interesting reading about this group of great Americans.

I also made a few modifications to the plane along the way. Evo 52 mounted 90 degrees with a Slimline Pitts muffler, MAS 12x6x3 prop with a Tru-Turn spinner, Robart 2-1/2 main wheels, Sullivan 1-1/4 tailwheel, Sullivan gold-n clevises, just to list a few. (did I mention that I don't know when to leave thing alone??) I've also got a set of retracts laying here, but those will have to wait until this winter.

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread with their various 'fixes', mods, and suggestions. I had used alot of that advise on my first PTS, and have used much of it on this one.

Anyway, here are a few pis of 'Millie G', I hope that you enjoy.

Name:	Cz80047.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	739883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25790.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	739884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49668.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	739885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22704.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	739886  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
patboone7

Hey all, just jumping on the I LOVE THE PTS train. I am working on fashioning up some mock retract covers out of the old speed brakes by sanding the wire rough, then adding some 30 minute epoxy and finish with micro zip ties. I finally added a servo for flaps and look forward to tomorrow and using that. I also am going to start working on a custom cover job, at least changing out the stickers (sorry Mr. Ohr) I plan on doing a .60 Mustang this winter and may just go with the exact same model in .60 size so I won't need 2 looking identical. My only issue is removing the flywheel. Do you have to use a spacer or something, I took it off and had no clearance between the cowl and the spinner. I can't pull the engine forward any more I already did when I converted to a 11x6x2 and still had to slightly carve out some of the spots on the cowl.

meantime here is a picture from today's flight. The deflector normall points down, but vibration rotated the muffler since I didn't tighten it all the way.

Name:	Mk26378.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	740105  
Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM
smooreace

Winds here have been too heavy for the last few weeks to fly, for me anyway. Only really one successful flight, so dont want to push it in the wind.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
fxrider

BountyHunter51, Great job on the recover!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 AM
BountyHunter51

Thanks fxrider. Just doing a few mods and some covering has got me wanting to try my hand at kit building my next plane. That may more than I can handle, but I enjoy a challenge. LOL
Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM
jorgy-Delta

ORIGINAL: patboone7

Hey all, just jumping on the I LOVE THE PTS train. I am working on fashioning up some mock retract covers out of the old speed brakes by sanding the wire rough, then adding some 30 minute epoxy and finish with micro zip ties. I finally added a servo for flaps and look forward to tomorrow and using that. I also am going to start working on a custom cover job, at least changing out the stickers (sorry Mr. Ohr) I plan on doing a .60 Mustang this winter and may just go with the exact same model in .60 size so I won't need 2 looking identical. My only issue is removing the flywheel. Do you have to use a spacer or something, I took it off and had no clearance between the cowl and the spinner. I can't pull the engine forward any more I already did when I converted to a 11x6x2 and still had to slightly carve out some of the spots on the cowl.

meantime here is a picture from today's flight. The deflector normall points down, but vibration rotated the muffler since I didn't tighten it all the way.
Just take off the outer part of the flywheel ( its black coloured ).
Use a socket or wood dowel about the same size as the "inner" silver part.
Gentely tap it out. It pops off very easy.
It comes apart front to rear, so place it prop side up when you whack it.

( The fly wheel is just a press fit onto the prop driver)

**Remember to keep the flat washer. It goes between the front seal on the engine and the prop driver (silver inner part).

It will sit at exactly the same distance as you have now. Your only taking the the fly weight off.

Whoops, only need one pic

See the 3rd picture[:'(] that should be easier to understand

#10 is the flat washer
#9 is the prop driver
# missing is the propdriver/fly wheel

Name:	Rp44132.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	741271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57849.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	741272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84127.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	741273  
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
patboone7

Thanks Wild CCR! I went out in the garage shortly after posting that and figured it out and used a socket and hammer. I also added my flap servo, secured the antenna wire to the fuse and checked all the bolts on the plane. I'm headed out to buy me a pilot, slimeline "flyboy" Look forward to Saturday!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:21 PM
PA BEN

Did the same here. Also I took the baffle out of the muffler and drilled a ¼’’ hole at each slit. Used a 12x5 prop on my P-51 PTS and have a 12x4 on my Heckler. It will hover all day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.