Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

help! getting started in dragracing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

help! getting started in dragracing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
hazegry1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! getting started in dragracing

I am wanting to start racing my buddies they are running 10th scale cars but no dragsters they also all run gas. I am willing to do electric but all my experiance has been with gas cars. We run in a long parking lot well they do I am not crazy enough to put my turmoil up against a road car. average speed is in the 100mph range I want to go out and kill the competition so I need to be getting around 115 out of the car. I will get a distance on the p-lot so you know what I am working with. I have no idea where to start wiith a dragster so what do I need and what kind of cabbage am I looking at forking out?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
NitroRage

Default RE: help! getting started in dragracing

Contact Mike at Grand Motor Sports,, He will help you out... Also RAE Roy Anderson... Both of these guys Are the Best and will help you get what you want....Let your Buddys know a 1/10th scale Drag strip is 132 feet long...I hope this has helped...John from Nitro Rage RC and Founder of the Midwest RC Drag Racing Series...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
hazegry1

this is more of an unlimited run what you brung type of thing. nobody looks inside your car and your only idea of what one will do is watching them race. You have to line up and run hoping your car is faster than the other guy. your post helped alot thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 PM
M.R. Ogle

Welll....

If you build a 4-cell Lipo dragster with a Mamba Max 7700 motor and esc, you're pretty much guaranteed to have the fastest thing on the block. The trouble will be in hooking up all that horsepower on an untreated parking lot.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
hazegry1

any tricks to getting it to hook up? spray adhesive or something.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
M.R. Ogle

The usual deal is to go buy four or five bottles of Grape soda, shake the heck out of them, and spray the track thoroughly, especially the launch pad to get it all nice and sticky. Then, put Koford traction compound on your tires (it's actually a slot car product).

You got to have a clean, sticky track to get a dragster to hook up. No pebbles, no sand, etc...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
hazegry1

any recommendations on something other than a dragster then?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 PM
M.R. Ogle

If you really want to go fast, and not want to have to engineer anything (like Nic Case did) that's the way to do it. Jimmy Schauer has gone 108 with his dragster with pretty much off the shelf components.

Other than that, you're either looking at a 1) shorter wheelbase electric lipo powered car or 2) a nitro powered car, of which only two or maybe three in the world have ever hit a real 100 mph, and those were high-dollar purpose-built unlimited speed run cars. Fact.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
hazegry1

guess I am going to look into the shorter wheel base electric cars then.