Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Installing wing tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 AM
cornj
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing wing tubes

All
I’m looking for information on installing a wing tube. I’m bashing a kit and would like to have a 2 piece wing. I’ve tried the search engine but no luck. If you can supply a link would be much appreciated. Any thoughts on tube size?

Kit bashed is Sig Senior to Pilatus PC-6 Turbo
Will be electric
Mega 22/30/3
MEC superbox
CC 85HV ESC
8S2P or 10S2P A123 cells

Thanks in advance
Tony

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77019.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	735456  
Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
sharpshooter223

Default RE: Installing wing tubes

what size of plane is it
Old 08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
cornj

Original Senior kit
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
78” wing span
With .40 2 cycle glow engine 6#, 12oz wing loading

My guess my electric version will be about 7#
I will be using one functional wing strut (K&B aluminum) each side.

Tony
Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 AM
sharpshooter223

im not a big person with aluminum but id use the tear drop shaped tubing maybe 3/4" to an inch long. then use something that has an ID just larger than the OD of the wing tubes for the center tube in the mid section. if its a plane made for glow and would be heavier as electric, i dont know why you are converting, if you are afraid of an engine sticking out the front of it, there are ways to work around that. just thinking that it would be best to stick with what a sig was originally made for, their trainers are very nice the way they are.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
funkworks

Ive made my own wing tubes with great success in the past. First, only use round aluminum tubes. I like to use r/c heli tail booms since they are light and cheap. Find the tube you want to use, then wrap it with one layer of wax paper overlapping the seam about 1/2 inch. Double sided clear tape helps. Then get some 2oz glass cloth and wrap around the wax paper covered tube tightly about 3 times. I like to use nylon or kevlar thread to wrap around the cloth to keep it tight on the tube. Next, get some finishing resin (not 30 min) and slowly wet out the glass cloth with a brush. The dry spots in the cloth will look white. Take your time and allow the resin to soak into the cloth, then wrap everything with a couple of layer os wax paper tightly and set aside overnight. The glass tube will be a little tight when you try to get it off the next day. The easiest way to get it off is to stand the tube upright on the floor (use a rubber mat if you dont have carpet). Remove the outter wax paper layer and use your body weight to slide the tube down separating the glass tube from the aluminum. The tube should come out and it should be easier to remove the inner wax paper layer.. Now you have a perfect wing tube and sleeve after trimming to size. Repeat process for the other wing panel.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The SIG 1/5th scale uses 6063 aluminum aircraft tubing you could probably buy it and the phonotic tubing it sets in from SIG or buy scrap pieces at the local airport from an aircraft repair station.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: funkworks

Ive made my own wing tubes with great success in the past. First, only use round aluminum tubes. I like to use r/c heli tail booms since they are light and cheap. Find the tube you want to use, then wrap it with one layer of wax paper overlapping the seam about 1/2 inch. Double sided clear tape helps. Then get some 2oz glass cloth and wrap around the wax paper covered tube tightly about 3 times. I like to use nylon or kevlar thread to wrap around the cloth to keep it tight on the tube. Next, get some finishing resin (not 30 min) and slowly wet out the glass cloth with a brush. The dry spots in the cloth will look white. Take your time and allow the resin to soak into the cloth, then wrap everything with a couple of layer os wax paper tightly and set aside overnight. The glass tube will be a little tight when you try to get it off the next day. The easiest way to get it off is to stand the tube upright on the floor (use a rubber mat if you dont have carpet). Remove the outter wax paper layer and use your body weight to slide the tube down separating the glass tube from the aluminum. The tube should come out and it should be easier to remove the inner wax paper layer.. Now you have a perfect wing tube and sleeve after trimming to size. Repeat process for the other wing panel.
Thanks! i've been looking for a reliable way to make these.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
cornj

Yes thanks much this will help
Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
sharpshooter223

why only use round tube?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 AM
funkworks

First, round tubing is just easier to find. Heli tubes are fairly common and thats why I like to use them. I had a tube become damaged while I was out of town attending a fun fly event. Went to the LHS and they had the right size heli tube right there so I didnt drive half way across the state (I live in Texas, so it was a long drive...haha) for nothing. Also, tear drop tubing of the same material is weaker (in the direction of the load) because of its shape. The tear drop shape is stronger than a round tube only if you orient the tube where the tear drop points up and down (you sacrifice strenght along one axis to gain along another), but then you run into a problem of having sufficent space. Also, It is a bit more difficult finding a suitable sleeve for the tube. In a nutshell, round tubes are just strong, and simple to use.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 AM
John 38

I have a 66" aerobatic model with a saito 90 driving it and the tube in it is or looks like brown paper, filling unknown. No sign of it not coping with the load

the tubes load function is transferring the load between wing and joining rod at the points where the tube is glued to the wing ribs. the rest of the tube while forming some structural strength is for guiding the rod thru the holes in the ribs!! ie, you can do without tube if you ensure reinforced rib holes all line up!!

in the old days , we used to make our tubes from brown wrapping paper rolled over polished and well waxed wing joiner rod, and varnished as paper rolled on. I suppose you could use a resin if wanted - main point is not to use a shrinking fluid ( such as dope ) otherwise you may not get tube off forming rod. Make the tube long enough to do both wings and fusalage width and simply cut into 3. If the tube is too long then it may be difficult to remove in which case make in sections.

hope this helps

John
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
cornj

Thanks everyone for the help, I was pointed to this site thttp://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/shop/welcome_to_the_online_catalog.htmo this site
Lots of aluminum and composite wing tubes and they offer installation help.
Tony
Old 08-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Jimmbbo

Did these for a GP J3 'cuz wings were too long to fit in my car without re-kitting them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	739311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79492.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	739312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35005.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	739313  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: funkworks

I use a similar method, except for the following.

I use 1 mil mylar instead of wax paper. It is available as painters drop cloth at home improvrment stores.

When the epoxy (I use West System) is set- about 4 hrs- I pull it off the tube, remove the mylar, and slip it back over the tube. The epoxy shrinks as it cures, and I find it very difficult to remove if I wait until it is fully cured. It is important that you alow it to fully cure on the tube so that it holds it's round shape. Experiment with the number of times you wrap the mylar so that you get the tightest slip fit you can. About three wraps does it for West System. Shrinkage may vary depending on the epoxy used.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
rthalls
My Feedback: (63)

I am interested in kit bashing a sig senior and I need ideas on what [ I like the pilatus pc-6 turbo idea ] would like more ideas - will be single engine [ would like to use a small gas en gine ] with a two pice wing .......... thanks bob