Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

CEN Matrix RTR engine break-in questions

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

CEN Matrix RTR engine break-in questions

Old 08-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Jay-r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN Matrix RTR engine break-in questions

During break-in this evening I noticed how incredible the compression of this engine is. My OFNA Chrome top can't even crank this engine without me having to loosen up the glow plug a bit.
Is this normal? But if I keep the glow plug loose I noticed some fuel coming out of the cooling head hole where the glow plug is, so I tighten it afterwards the engine dies.
My wheels are turning quite a bit even though I'm not applying any pressure to the throttle is this normal? How do I keep this from happening?
I'm currently using the needle settings in the CEN website:
Top end: 3-3.5 turns out
Bottom end: 4.5-5 turns out
Midrange: Flush with silver carb housing.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CEN Matrix RTR engine break-in questions

Hey Jay(I just love saying that)

The idle stop screw could be turned in to far and causing your engines rpm's to be abit high, but on some trucks when you have them off the ground the wheels will spin just abit due to the lack of resistance in the drive train. If when you set it on the ground and your truck wants to kreep forward then your idle is too high or your clutch is faulty and engauging too soon. Either way not a big deal it can adjusted or fixed. Let us know how it goes when you do get to play. You should try the compression on the Genesis' or Nemesis' NX76 that engine will actually tear your skin during break in!!!(using a pullstart, since using a mechanical starter before 1 gallon has been run thru it is NOT recommended). Using the pullstarter is preffered during break so you dont bend a con rod or damage something inside, so yeah I guess it would be normal for an OFNA box not being able turn over a new tight engine, without loosening the glow plug..

Congratulations on your new CEN product, you wont be disappointed!!

Good Luck!! And Most Of All Have Fun!!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Jay-r

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Hey Jay(I just love saying that)

The idle stop screw could be turned in to far and causing your engines rpm's to be abit high, but on some trucks when you have them off the ground the wheels will spin just abit due to the lack of resistance in the drive train. If when you set it on the ground and your truck wants to kreep forward then your idle is too high or your clutch is faulty and engauging too soon. Either way not a big deal it can adjusted or fixed. Let us know how it goes when you do get to play. You should try the compression on the Genesis' or Nemesis' NX76 that engine will actually tear your skin during break in!!!(using a pullstart, since using a mechanical starter before 1 gallon has been run thru it is NOT recommended). Using the pullstarter is preffered during break so you dont bend a con rod or damage something inside, so yeah I guess it would be normal for an OFNA box not being able turn over a new tight engine, without loosening the glow plug..

Congratulations on your new CEN product, you wont be disappointed!!

Good Luck!! And Most Of All Have Fun!!!!
Hi Real Dogman,
Is the idle stop screw the same as the Low speed needle?. I am actually surprised that my engine did not stall when I apply throttle and brakes, it just dies when I tighten the glow plug while the engine is running. I can't imagine how powerful this thing is when fully broken in, I mean I'm not even pulling the throtlle anywhere near 25% and it screams[X(] I'm a newbie with Nitro's by the way.
Thank you very much!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
The Real Dogman

Hey Jay(just cant help myself) here is an image that might help:

And a link to the [link=http://www.cenracing.com/downloads/enginemanualv2.zip]CEN Nitro tuning guide book[/link]

And a couple videos that should help:
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGjExP9GkM]Traxxas Nitro Engine Tuning Video[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As&mode=related&search=]HPI Nitro Tuning Video Part1[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]HPI Nitro Tuning Video Part2[/link]

You also would benefit from [link=http://www.rchardware.com]The N-Tune Tuning Dial[/link]. Its a huge help tuning and keeping track of your day to day tune as well..

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask Q's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69854.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	740525  
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
mattyb13

Hey there,
My .02 is that the Matrix has a LOT of compression and all the same things freaked me out at first when I got my buggy and started break in. After almost a gallon my car idles pretty good. On startup it wants to creep just a little. Thats where I like it. DOGMAN helped me with MANY of the same questions. DOGMAN, now if you could just open a legit hobby shop near my house so didnt have to order so much stuff online I'd be set! So frustrating. I need $4 aluminum servo arm and I cant find a hobby shop within hours that carrys them!!! UGH!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Jay-r

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Hey Jay(just cant help myself) here is an image that might help:

And a link to the [link=http://www.cenracing.com/downloads/enginemanualv2.zip]CEN Nitro tuning guide book[/link]

And a couple videos that should help:
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGjExP9GkM]Traxxas Nitro Engine Tuning Video[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As&mode=related&search=]HPI Nitro Tuning Video Part1[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]HPI Nitro Tuning Video Part2[/link]

You also would benefit from [link=http://www.rchardware.com]The N-Tune Tuning Dial[/link]. Its a huge help tuning and keeping track of your day to day tune as well..

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask Q's

Thanks Real Dogman!!! That's the most detailed info ever.I'll look into the N-Tune Tuning dial hopefully they have some for the NX.26.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Jay-r

ORIGINAL: mattyb13

Hey there,
My .02 is that the Matrix has a LOT of compression and all the same things freaked me out at first when I got my buggy and started break in. After almost a gallon my car idles pretty good. On startup it wants to creep just a little. Thats where I like it. DOGMAN helped me with MANY of the same questions. DOGMAN, now if you could just open a legit hobby shop near my house so didnt have to order so much stuff online I'd be set! So frustrating. I need $4 aluminum servo arm and I cant find a hobby shop within hours that carrys them!!! UGH!
Hi Matty, I'm actually enjoying break-in even though It's quite a pain in the hands
I finally started the engine in my Matrix after almost 2 years on the shelf. The only problem I have right now is where I could continue breaking-in my buggy yesterday me and my wife went to Saltwater beach park which is about 20 minute drive from our apt. and I'm scared it might annoy some of the park goers there because of the noise. I can't definitely do it here in our apt. complex vicinity, It's just hard we don't have any offroad RC tracks around here[]
Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
The Real Dogman

Thanks, just glad I could help fellas...
Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Jay-r

another thing guys,how can I prime the engine without a primer button and a pullstart? Just in case in the future I might get a non-pullstart .21 engine.

thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

put your finger over exhaust without the ignitor on and put on bump box or use roto start. Or blow in the exhaust lol
Old 08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
mattyb13

Jay,
Not sure if you are still having trouble breaking the engine in but I bought a pair of OFNA Slicks and broke it in on pavement for prob a 1/4 gallon of fuel before it ever saw any dirt. Its hard (imo) to be able to tell what your car is doing on dirt with all the dust and sliding and whattnot. I learned on pavement then moved to the track. A good open parking lot worked good. The Matrix is a rocket and eats up space fast! Hope this helps.
M
Old 08-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Jay-r

Thanks Clermont and Matty, right now I just need another alternative location where I can continue breaking-in my engine. Hopefully I could finish it before Summer ends.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
mattyb13

Jay-R
How goes it? How is your Matrix running?!?!
Mine is being FINNICKY as all %$#%$#!!!
M
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Jay-r

Hi Matty, anew problem arose my OFNA Chrome top suddenly stops working sunday morning, then last night I decided to remove the wiring from the on/off switch and battery then when I connected them back again the motor runs without me turning it on or not applying any pressure on the "engaging spring" for it to turn on. So now I think might buy a new on/off switch and that other "engaging Spring thing".
I tried to use the pull satrter last night and it's to no avail, it started three times but cuts off eventually
I need my OFNA chrome top running, I'm not breaking in this thing without a starter box, it's gonna drive me crazy