Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Westland Lysander Plans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Westland Lysander Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Westland Lysander Plans

Anyone know where to get a set of 1/5 or 1/4 scale building plans for a Westland Lysander, the British Observation, Liasion aircraft used in WW11. Stuka Jon
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 AM
dadp47

Default RE: Westland Lysander Plans

I purchased a set of 100" (1/6 scale) plans from Bob Holmen in 2003. Of course I haven't done anything with them due to lack of money and time (not sure what I have less of). I plan to build in a couple of years. This version uses a .60 or a .90 engine (can't remember which one) and should be fairly easy to transport. FYI a 1/5 scale plane would have a wingspan of 120" and a 1/4 scale would be 150" wingspan. Pretty hard to transport without a trailer. Did you see the cover of Model Aviation? There is a Scale Master "Lizzie" pictured. Wish they showed more pictures and information on the model. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

DadP47 Thanks for the info on the size. Never realized the size. The cover photo on MA is what peaked my interest. Would you or anyone else have a web site for Bob Holman Plans Thanks again Stuka Jon
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
dadp47

www.bhp.com. There is an 81" version if you click on Scale Plans and then on Dennis Bryant plans Page 1 (laser cut parts available). You would have to email Bob Holman and ask for purchasing information on the 100" inch Bob Holman Lysander, as it is listed in his catalog, which they don't publish on line (they want you to buy it). Not sure if laser parts are available for the 100" version. Let me know how you make out.

My mistake, it is www.bhplans.com
Old 08-30-2005, 02:04 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

www.bhplans.com will get you to is site. A great person to deal with!

Carl
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 AM
halibatsuiba

Howdy!

I am currently building 81" Lysander from Dennis Bryant plans (Bought from Bob Holman, I recommend him warmly).
Cutting parts by myself, inhaling whole balsa-trees in form of dust...
Next time I will buy lasercut parts.

Any hints/ideas/things to remember from people who have built this plane?

My local LHS happened to have their last Saito 1.20 for sale so I am planning to install it to my Lysander, if I ever get it done...
My first scratchbuild...

I have been trying to find infromation about the amount of thrust I can get with Saito + 15"-8 propeller but no luck so far.
Plane's calculated total weight is less than 8lbs, currently it is (everything I have built so far + engine,electronics etc) 7lbs.

I need to find out what covering material I should use. I want to paint this plane to Finnish colours but I am not familiar with different coverings and paints. More study to do, I guess.

Happy building, y'all.

-MJ-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75700.jpg
Views:	1609
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	575165  
Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Bob Holman plans for the 1/6 scale 100" version, and also the Cleveland Model supply 1/4 scale plans 150". I haven't done anything with either, except roll the plans out and take a look at them. As the Cleveland plans are their "best" catagory, they are buildable, and rougly equlivalent to the BH 100" plans in quality. I haven't seen the 81" plans, but being Dennis Bryant, they are probably superior to these two larger versions. I beleive you can also purchase the Cleveland plans in a 1/5 scale size as well.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Bes

Hi everybody,
your subject interrests me a lot because I'll start a 25% scratch build Westland Lysander this winter. I started the design of the plans two years ago, a little bit inspired by the Denis Bryant's set of plans. I didn't know that Cleveland Model had a set in their catalog... Verry interresting...

This project will be my third giant scale airplane but my first scratch buil giant... So I've some questions about the engine:
The wingspan will be about 150" and I expect the weight between 44 and 55 lbs. Am I right ? Considering the scale finish and the lot of drag due to the huge wheel pants and the big cowl, which size of engine do you advise me to fly the airplane correctly ?
I'm wondering if a reducted motor (as the Mick Reeves'torquemaster) would fit the model for a scale aspect ?

Scalebirdman, which engine do they recommend for the Cleveland Model plans ?

If you're interrested, I'll post some informations and pictures as I progress in the building... I plan to begin during january 2007 if I'm finished with all my research...
Thank you verry much for your help and excuse me for my poor english, I'm from Belgium and it's not my first language.

seb
Old 12-18-2006, 11:36 AM
scalebirdman

Bes,

Love to see your work. The Cleveland plans do not specify an engine. A G62 with the torquemaster drive would probably be sufficient if you came in on the light end of your projected weight. Airframe is draggy, but also you have alot of wing area. I'd probably suggest something in the 100cc range; or best (and most expensive) would be one of those 5 cylinder 215cc radials.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Bes

Thank you for your answer Scalebirdman.
I actually think of a 100 or 120cc too. I've no idea about the final weight in fact... I'll build as light as I can !
I also saw the radial 215 cc but it's too much expensive for me... I have a ZDZ 80 twin but I'm afraid it's not enough...
I'll see...

So, as soon as I start the construction, I post some pictures...
Thank you again.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
scalebirdman

Sounds good. The ZDZ would fly this plane at 45lbs no problem. I'm trying to do some mental arithmetic on the engine size, as I have a pretty good idea what displacement is needed for fighters, but this is a little different. Given that much of the airframe is not sheeted it should build fairly light. The key here I beleive, as in many WWII planes is to keep the tail light.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:32 PM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

Frank Mizer has some nice plans for a Lysander , but I can 't remember the size . The plans were nice as I recall. Google Frank Mizer plans and you can get an email address for him.

Dorin Luck
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM
digitalimage4u

Just ordered Lysander plans from www.flyingscalemodels.com its in England and the price was roughly 50 bucks with shipping { Wingspan 87.5 ] [ engine 60 to 1.20 ] depending on 2 or 4 stroke I need cockpit documentation ? DM

Name:	Om34450.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	579882  
Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Bes

Thank you guys !

Scalebirdman, now I'm more confident in my zdz80 twin. I'll try it on the Lyzzie and I'll see. I had a look on the 215 radial again yesterday on rcshowcase website. I'd love to install it on my Lyzzie but it's definitly too expensive for me !

Dorjes, I'll contact Frank Mizer to get some more informations about his plan. Thank you too.

digitalimage4u, here are some pictures picked from magazine and others that I took by myself on the full scale lyzzie of the Sabena Old Timers, the one I'll build. I join a picture of this airplane too... I hope it helps.

Name:	Bz78657.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	579959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14879.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	579960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15675.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	579961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59412.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	579962  
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
dottney
My Feedback: (2)

MJ,
Have you finished the Lysander? I'm consider the same plan/laser cut parts for an electric version and would like to know how the build and flying went.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
digitalimage4u

THERE IS AN EXCELLENT SET OF LYSANDER PLANS AVAILABLE DRAWN BY FRANK MIZER. You can get them through AMA plan service or from Flying Scale Models plan service. I think the wing span is 88 it ios 1.75 '' equals a foot.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
digitalimage4u

Does anyone know where you can get a fifth scale radial? Ive tryed with no luck to get the one from williams brothers DM
Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 AM
dadp47

Try www.darehobby.com. They have 7 and 9 cylinder radials, 2-5/8". 3-1/2", 4-1/2", ad 5-7/8" in diameter (not sure what one would be 1/5 scale. They also sell a front half only of the same radials for cowl installations, which you would be using on your Lysander. I've used these before and are nicely done. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about Williams Brothers!

They sell everything from 1/12th to 1/4th scale. Prices are good too.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html

Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
emayer

I have just started a 71" Lysander from the Trapplett Model World plans.
They also supply a Fiberglass cowl and wheel spats and a polycarbonate canopy. Quality is superb.
On my plans it call for 2 degrees of washout because of the narrow tips.
I did not see this on other plans.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 AM
adecarcer

Hi,

I have also purchased the Traplet plans of the Lysander.

Looks a promising model and I'm going to try the movable slats also.

Do anybody know of somebody selling a short kit for this model.?? It has a lot of curve cutting and my skills are not very good (nor have too much time).

Thanks for the response

Antonio