Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Another Ride...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
spazzyfry123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ride...

Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I've been on here. I sort of lost interest after a member on this site stole a T-MAXX of mine that I had a lot of money and time invested in (pressed charges and got FBI involved for internet fraud and all of that, but nothing ever came out of it after a couple years or so...so I just gave up...still looking to kick his ass though). Anyway...after tinkering around with some of my other cars recently, I've decided to finally go the buggy route. I'm almost set on getting the Hyper 7 kit...I'm not a beginner with R/C by any means, but this will be my first buggy...So with that said, would this be a good buggy to get? I'm looking to just go have fun with it out on construction sites and maybe a little bit of racing (so I do plan on keeping it legal). I'm not really sure which motor to go with, but I have been looking at O.S.'s .21 line of motors since I've had great luck with their company in the past. Or should I spend just a little bit more than $150 and get something nicer like a Rossi or something? Keep in mind that this is mainly going to be used to have some fun with with a minute amount of actual racing. But like I said, I know nothing about the 1/8th scale buggy scene, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. I also have a starter box for my Rustler...any way that could work with this buggy or am I looking at dropping a few more bucks to get an 1/8th scale one?

Also, I'm looking at getting another radio setup. I know it doesn't really belong in this forum, but hell...the kit needs one, right? What would be a nice radio (FM preferably, but not really important since all I've ever used was AM) that has the ability to store about 3 or 4 cars total, comes with a receiver and servos (for the buggy); but pretty cheap. I'm not looking for anything outrageous...just something that is cost-friendly and gets the job done well. But it has to have one of those nifty computer screens to complete the cool-factor [8D] The R/C scene has really changed over the past couple years...I'm impressed! But at the same time, I feel like I'm in the dark not being kept up to date on the latest things.

Thanks everyone!
-Tyler
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 AM
DysisXL

Default RE: Another Ride...

If your thinking about the Hyper7 why not go ahead and get a Hyper8? With the new Hyper8.5 out now you could probably get the H8 for pretty cheap, and as far as radio's i've seen Spektrum DX2.0 with receiver brand new in box on ebay for 100.00-125.00 quite frequently.

As far as engines the Axe Rossi Mamba seems to be a pretty good motor, or maybe look into a Go 5port engine, there is 14 page thread about it and everyone seems to think it's an awesome motor for the money.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyper 7's an absolutely ideal starter car. I started with one and so did many others, it's by far the most raceable budget car. For a radio, if you want a good one, I suggest a Futaba 3pm, but that hundred dollar DX2 will do the job just as well, it's your choice. My one peice of advice, invest in good servos. A 200oz-in+ servo will make a huge difference to the way it drives.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Yes the Hyper 7 is a very good buggy but seeing you said you are not new to the hobby I seriously recommend a Hyper 8.5. Yes for the most part OS makes a fine engine but not crazy about there VG series with the ABL sleeve. For the same amount of money you can buy a better engine. I run a Hyper 8 pro kit for over a year now and will be up grading it to an 8.5 over the off-season. Been a great buggy with well over 8 gallons on it.

Good think I was not be ripped off as if it was in the states I would be knocking on their door. Is he still on RCU? Sorry to hear about this. I see you are in Georgia are you planning to race? I ran the Georgia Championship Series this year which is not over. I finished in 10th in my class not to bad for an old blind man in his first year of racing. There is a club race at Rodslinger on the 15th if we are not working on the track hear I hope to make.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
spazzyfry123

ORIGINAL: DysisXL

If your thinking about the Hyper7 why not go ahead and get a Hyper8? With the new Hyper8.5 out now you could probably get the H8 for pretty cheap, and as far as radio's i've seen Spektrum DX2.0 with receiver brand new in box on ebay for 100.00-125.00 quite frequently.

As far as engines the Axe Rossi Mamba seems to be a pretty good motor, or maybe look into a Go 5port engine, there is 14 page thread about it and everyone seems to think it's an awesome motor for the money.
What advantages am I going to see with a H8 over a H7 and what are the price differences between the two kits? And thanks for the radio tip...I'll check that out[8D] That Axe Rossi Mamba motor you mentioned is actually something I have been seriously looking into as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
spazzyfry123

ORIGINAL: foxy42

Hyper 7's an absolutely ideal starter car. I started with one and so did many others, it's by far the most raceable budget car. For a radio, if you want a good one, I suggest a Futaba 3pm, but that hundred dollar DX2 will do the job just as well, it's your choice. My one peice of advice, invest in good servos. A 200oz-in+ servo will make a huge difference to the way it drives.
Thanks for the servo tips. I will make sure to go with pretty strong ones (200 as you suggested...)
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
spazzyfry123

ORIGINAL: 46u

Yes the Hyper 7 is a very good buggy but seeing you said you are not new to the hobby I seriously recommend a Hyper 8.5. Yes for the most part OS makes a fine engine but not crazy about there VG series with the ABL sleeve. For the same amount of money you can buy a better engine. I run a Hyper 8 pro kit for over a year now and will be up grading it to an 8.5 over the off-season. Been a great buggy with well over 8 gallons on it.
I don't really think I want to spend that much on a kit. I mean, like I said, this is mainly going to be used to have some fun with; so I don't necessarily need a racing buggy. But at the same time, I don't want a crappy-quality car.

Good think I was not be ripped off as if it was in the states I would be knocking on their door. Is he still on RCU? Sorry to hear about this. I see you are in Georgia are you planning to race? I ran the Georgia Championship Series this year which is not over. I finished in 10th in my class not to bad for an old blind man in his first year of racing. There is a club race at Rodslinger on the 15th if we are not working on the track hear I hope to make.
Last I heard, he was in Massachusetts somewhere. I had other people calling me telling me there was some type of accident and he was put in the hospital or something like that. I'm sorry that something happened, but it still doesn't change the fact that I am about a grand out. I stayed in contact with them for quite some time and I gradually just lost touch with them...Could never get in touch with anyone. That's when I got the FBI involved and all that jazz...Still nothing. But anyway, I live in North Carolina now. I come back to Georgia quite often, however. It's been a while since I've been down towards Macon though.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
46u

The 7 and now the 8 is the older models and the 8.5 are the latest model. I never owned a 7 and if all you are going to do is bash I sure it will be fine. Even as a racer it is a decent buggy but once again not quite the caliper of the newer version.

As far as a radio you just cannot beat 2.4GHz! No worry about frequencies or interference! Just the latest in technology and a whole lot less hassle particularly if you run around others. I ran FM till just a little over a year ago and have been running 2.4GHz ever since and will never go back.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Like they have all said the H7 is an ideal starter package, but it is getting long in the tooth now and it's been superceeded by 2 revisions, so I would lean you towards the Hyper 8 RTR, Saying that though, if you want a solid buggy the Hyper 7 PBS will not be beaten.

OS are more reliable than ever and the VZB V-Spec is cheap and has many titles behind it.

Servos as you know need to be reliable up front and that is why I only recommend Ko Propo, like Stella, they're reasuringly expensive.

For radios the Spektrum is really taking over, no more chrstals, but I still like mine though.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM
rEVOkING

The 7 and now the 8 is the older models and the 8.5 are the latest model. I never owned a 7 and if all you are going to do is bash I sure it will be fine. Even as a racer it is a decent buggy but once again not quite the caliper of the newer version.

As far as a radio you just cannot beat 2.4GHz! No worry about frequencies or interference! Just the latest in technology and a whole lot less hassle particularly if you run around others. I ran FM till just a little over a year ago and have been running 2.4GHz ever since and will never go back.

Hyper 8.5pro-it is the shiz man 80% assembled $400.......Spectrum 2.0 comes with servos 169......Os .21 abc motor $150-$200..DONE !!!!!! personally i would buy the servos seperate futaba s3305 HT/HS $39.99 X2.. the Spectrum 2.0 and 3.0 are like RTR kits lol..remember Corperations dont ever want to hook you up they wanna make money lol..i heard guys saying they broke the spectrum kit servos in less than a gallon. i got atleast 10gallons on my two futabas and i run'm they are like new still

i have a 1500 revo that has been collecting dust ever sence i bought this thing lol..it is olmost winter though..
Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM
46u

Did they change the servo when they went to the DX3.0 and 2.0? I know when I got my DX3 I called to check to see what the specifications where and the best one with metal gears was only about 90oz torque. On top of that they where not very fast either. You really need a whole lot more!!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Da Smak
Banned

No, they didn't but their newest addition to the range is a respectable 150 oz/ins and 0.12 sec /6V, but it's not available with a controller set yet.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
musclecar64

spazzyfry123 said:
Last I heard, he was in Massachusetts somewhere. I had other people calling me telling me there was some type of accident and he was put in the hospital or something like that. I'm sorry that something happened, but it still doesn't change the fact that I am about a grand out. I stayed in contact with them for quite some time and I gradually just lost touch with them...Could never get in touch with anyone. That's when I got the FBI involved and all that jazz...Still nothing. But anyway, I live in North Carolina now. I come back to Georgia quite often, however. It's been a while since I've been down towards Macon though.
[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
OH MY GOD! This is creepy...
When I tried to trade my fully loaded brushless rc18b for a rustler with another member, (soon after I had shipped the 18B) He did not respond for a while, and eventually his girlfriend responded saying that he was in the hospital because he had just been in a bad car accident. I thought that something was up, so I quickly contacted UPS and had them turn it around and send it back to me, and I got my car back. I told him that I didn't want to trade after all, he said he understood, and I moved on. My horror story has a happy ending, but I'm sorry that yours doesn't. That really sucks. What really got my attention is that your situation sounds a lot like mine.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 PM
spazzyfry123

ORIGINAL: musclecar64

spazzyfry123 said:
[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
OH MY GOD! This is creepy...
When I tried to trade my fully loaded brushless rc18b for a rustler with another member, (soon after I had shipped the 18B) He did not respond for a while, and eventually his girlfriend responded saying that he was in the hospital because he had just been in a bad car accident. I thought that something was up, so I quickly contacted UPS and had them turn it around and send it back to me, and I got my car back. I told him that I didn't want to trade after all, he said he understood, and I moved on. My horror story has a happy ending, but I'm sorry that yours doesn't. That really sucks. What really got my attention is that your situation sounds a lot like mine.

That is weird man..Mine was the same way. We agreed on a trade, but everything got screwed over with UPS and all that and it was too late. Luckily you got yours back...Mine on the other hand was not so fortunate. I responded back to your PM about this...I would like to keep in touch with you considering my situation was exactly like this (girlfriend finally contacted me telling me he got in a bad car accident). I don't know how to go check out previous transactions. Maybe a moderator on here can compare IP addresses between the guy that screwed me over and the guy that almost screwed this guy over? I would like my TMAXX back, and I would also like to prevent future people getting screwed by this guy...[:@]
Old 09-08-2007, 03:24 PM
spazzyfry123

I guess I'll just keep posting about my misfortune (stolen T-MAXX) in here. I seem to be getting more of a response in this thread than I did two years ago when I was heavily trying to in touch with the people here on RCU.

Here is the original classified placed:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=90729

And here is a thread that goes into more detail about what happened:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29..._1/key_/tm.htm

One thing I noticed is this...When the transaction took place, his user name was Driver3 I think. Now when you go to the first link I provided ^^ his user name is "good bizz".

I know it is over two years after it happened, but I still believe I should be provided with either my truck, the car he promised, or some type of cash reimbursment from Driver3 (or good bizz or whatever he is now...). If there are any moderators on here, please try and help me in some way.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 PM
spazzyfry123

Also, it turns out a I got a call earlier today. I wasn't around to answer it, but I just now had time to return the call to find out that it was the UPS Store in MA...The one that shipped my T-MAXX out to the guy that stole it off of me. I missed their store hours by about 30 minutes and won't be able to get in touch with them until Monday I'm guessing. So apparently, someone that has been reading this thread works for this UPS store or knows someone that does or something. I don't see any other reason for a UPS Store 700 miles away from me calling me when I haven't shipped anything to that area since this mishappening over two years ago. So whoever that was, could you please step forward when you read this and help me out? I still want to resolve this issue in some fashion [&:]
Thanks,
-Tyler