Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Problem with OWB.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
alpha1one3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with OWB.

I took apart my Pull start many times and managed(I think) putting my OWB on the right way. The reason why I say I have a problem is that my egine gets hot whenever I run it normally. All my needles are very rich. Highspeed needle is at 4 turns up and my Low speedneedle is up all the way to a point were I can barely keep it running. And my tempature is around 40 American degrees outside. And my egine still runs VERY hot. My egine is a stock egine on the volcano SV.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
gotmonkeys

Default RE: Problem with OWB.

If it is a new engine, do yourself a favor and check and make sure there is absolutly nothing in the carb. Take the needles out and clean them. I had a peice of plastic in my carb in the top end needle. It drove me nuts trying to find the problem. If it is not a new motor, then still pull the carb apart and make sure there is no dirt in it. If there is dirt or somthing in the carb, it can cuase the engine to run to lean. Then again, it could be somthing else, this is just the problem that i had. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
alpha1one3

Yeah my egine is new. I cleaned out the carb before and found nothing. My problem started when I took apart the Pull start and took a educated guess on how the OWB goes on. If any could post pictures show how it goes on that would be helpful.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
alpha1one3

Wait my egine is not new. DOnt know why I said that.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
twomanytoys

It will only go on one way or the motor will not start. If the motor starts then you have it right.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:10 PM
gotmonkeys

One other thing you may want to double check is the o-ring on the backplate. If it is ripped or torn or in bad shape it could be sucking air and that will cuase the engine to run lean and over heat.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
alpha1one3

Well see I put it on both ways and they both start the motor and MY OWB is not broken. It stops one side from turning back. Because the motor has more than enough torque to go against the OWB thus causing Extra heat that i do not need. Just got to be for sure though.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
gotmonkeys

What motor do you have?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:27 PM
alpha1one3

Vertex .18 stock on volcano sv.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
alpha1one3

Wait. I think that could be it, just missed ur post about the oring on the back plate. That sounds like a good idea since there is a mighty ocean on my volcan sv. Ehoof helped me fixed the first leak now its leaking somewere else!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
twomanytoys

O ring on backing plate? What o ring. There is a gasket for the backing plate and a bushing for the crank. I have not seen an o ring.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
gotmonkeys

twomanytoys, i was not sure on what motor he had. the motor i was thinking of was not the vertex.18. sorry for the miswording.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 PM
twomanytoys

Oh ok because I was getting worried about my motor because I have not seen an o ring on the back.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

make sure your cooling head is tight and also make sure your exhaust and your backplate are sealing.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
alpha1one3

yeah. I did just that Clermont. I put new RTV(RED sillicone gasket sealer) now There is no air leaks since I can hear swishing noises comming out of my carb. which means my motor is only getting air from the carb and no were else. Well the gasket sealer for the back plate sucks, it really doesnt seal. Oh yeah does anyone have a picture of the right way to put on the OWB. I am second guessing my self?! Clermont or ehoof or anybody could post pic showing right way to put on OWB for Vertex .18 stock volcano sv egine. Thx for all your help and advice.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one way bearing should only grab the shaft when turning it clockwise when looking at it from the back of the engine, if you turn it counterclockwise it will spin freely
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 AM
rclynx

Modern days are better than you think...........old days 40 years ago when you started your air plane flipping the prop with your finger and when it ignited and shot backwards it would almost take your finger off..............it was hard as hell to remove the fuel line and stop your engine from running backwards
Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they didnt have chicken sticks 40 years ago, lol?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 PM
alpha1one3

Thank you Ehoof. Atleast I know it's not my OWB makeing my egine hot. I think the leaking fuel causes my egine to get hot, very hot because air is getting into my egine. But I think I am going to seal every part of my egine up today. Thank you once again Ehoof you are very helpful.