Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

ORIGINAL: cjoker5475

thats what i have on my cmp extra 300s (140) red white blue.i was told 18x8 might be better with my g38.i dnt know, thank you for the reply.any others would be much appreciated. my SS will be here in 3 days.tryin to get all the info i can.

18x8 would be alright.. I see no problem with that.. try it and see which you like best.. 18x8 will give you a little more RPMs and maybe a tad less power.. Brian
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
cjoker5475

i will do that. thank you for help
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Brian Smith

ORIGINAL: cjoker5475

i will do that. thank you for help
No problem as we are all in this together.. Right? .. Brian
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
showtime101

with the right set up this plane will fly like an angel
Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 PM
frabru

Has everybody done the tail feather reinforcement? How many of us Giant Super Sporster guys are flying them like out of the box?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Brian Smith

ORIGINAL: frabru

Has everybody done the tail feather reinforcement? How many of us Giant Super Sporster guys are flying them like out of the box?

The one I assembled for my friend with a G38 is flying with no changes.. It is flying very well- so far.. Brian Smith
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 PM
frabru

Hum, it makes me think that just maybe there were some bad kits out there.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
cjoker5475

yep. i heard this s a good flying bird. im new o gas and bigger scale .my funtana x .50 was the biggest i had until i got a cmp extra 300s 140 size.(stars and stripes).i didnt like it very much. it flew nice but it snaped in a heart beat and evertime i slowed it down it would just fall lie a rock.i almost gave up on bigger scale an back to .40 .50 size nitro beause of the extra.And was tryin to sell my g38.Until i seen this plane in the model airplane magazine and did research in this forum listening to you all fine gents.And now here i am.rethinking the gas thing positivly.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I am working on one right now that I have done some tail reinforcements on. I don't really think there is a problem with the design but that there were some isolated incidents in which the tail has failed. The modifications that I have made are as follows:

1) tail brace wires connecting the vertical and horizontal stabs to the fuse.

2) diagonal cross members in the two inner-most bays of the horizontal stab to transfer force from the leading edge of the stab to the center plate.

3) an 1/8th inch plywood plate between the last two formers in the fuse just below the turtle deck. This eliminated the twisting in the furthest aft portion of the fuse.

4) re-covered with Sig Koverall fabric and dope which pretty much becomes a structural member itself.

I did these mods just because I wanted to eliminate the chances that I got one of the "bad ones" too. I am also planning to use a Brillelli 46 gasser for power too so I will have a little more power than the average Giant SS. I think the weight penalty of the modifications will be negligible especially considering the increase in power. Wing loading will not be affected any more than if I had to add tail weight. At least this is functional tail weight.

Brian
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics?
I don't see any!
LOL
Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 AM
frabru

Can you post photos of the modifications?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry, the modified areas are already covered. There isn't much left to show.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
cjoker5475

i have a g38 im putting on my ss my pitts muffler hits the firewall and is about half inch away from the included standoffs which is supposedly the right ones using the g38. can anyone help me please thats usi the g38 with the pitts muffler.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:37 PM
hornman

HAS ANYONE TRIED A ZENOAH G45? MIGHT BE TOO MUCH FOR THE PLANE THOUGH?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
chris8105
My Feedback: (22)

I think I am going to buy one of these. I had one last year but ended up selling it before I even got a chance to fly it. Going to go with the Super Tigre g3250 engine, Hitec 475 servos all around and a Hitec 311 on the throttle, 2000mah 6 v rx pack, and a apc 18x8 prop.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM
biplane bill
My Feedback: (5)

I just pulled the ST3250 off mine, has plenty of power, but I converted plane to gas. Engine has OS7D carb Slimline Pitts W/smoke coil. If you are interested, Ill sell you the whole setup in the mount for $150. Ill even send you the cowl that is cut to fit. I bought new one for the gasser.

Bill
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 PM
chris8105

I will keep that in mind Bill, I probably wont even buy the plane for another month.

I have a Futaba 7C radio that does not support dual elevator servos. To get that to work I am either going to have to use a servo reverser, would rather not go that route as that is just something else that can fail. My other option is to use a Y cable for the servos and have one servo arm facing up on one servo and the servo arm facing down on the other servo. My only concern doing it that way is the angle of the pushrods going from the each servo to each elevator half is going to be different. I am not sure if thats going to effect the amount of travel of each elevator half. I dont think it will, but I want to check to be sure. Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM
hauckf

The kit is designed to have one elevator servo arm pointing up and the other one pointing down, so you can use a Y-cable if you want to.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM
chris8105

Thanks for the info, I didnt know it was designed for that. I figured they wanted you to use a radio capable of using two elevator servos.

Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 PM
hauckf

If you want, you can download a copy of the instruction manual for the Giant Sportster from the Great Planes website. Go to [link]http://www.greatplanes.com[/link] and click on the "Parts Lists & Manuals" link on the home page. There's a picture of the elevator servo set-up in the manual.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: chris8105

I will keep that in mind Bill, I probably wont even buy the plane for another month.

I have a Futaba 7C radio that does not support dual elevator servos. To get that to work I am either going to have to use a servo reverser, would rather not go that route as that is just something else that can fail. My other option is to use a Y cable for the servos and have one servo arm facing up on one servo and the servo arm facing down on the other servo. My only concern doing it that way is the angle of the pushrods going from the each servo to each elevator half is going to be different. I am not sure if thats going to effect the amount of travel of each elevator half. I dont think it will, but I want to check to be sure. Thanks
I have a review of ths plane on [link=http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=184]MAsportaviator[/link]http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=184

This is the free AMA sponsored site for entry level and beyond. I reference the opposing servo arms on the elevators. The geometry worked just fine with my throw-meters.

Regards,

Eric.

If I may quote myself "This is a Cadillac of planes to fly".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88302.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	779415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83396.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	779416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18591.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	779417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50207.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	779418  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM
48chebbie
My Feedback: (58)

i just accquired this plane and i am planning to power mine with a saito 150. i already have the engine new in the box,so i might as well use it for something. will this 150 power this plane alright? i don't want stupid vertical,and i am not a big aerobatic flyer,just want to fly it around and have fun. any opinions????
Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: 48chebbie

i just accquired this plane and i am planning to power mine with a saito 150. i already have the engine new in the box,so i might as well use it for something. will this 150 power this plane alright? i don't want stupid vertical,and i am not a big aerobatic flyer,just want to fly it around and have fun. any opinions????
The Saito 150 should be just about right for both power and gettingthe right the CG.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
rceric

Here is a question for you guys.

I just ordered my Giant Sportster and all the servos harnesses etc.. This will be my 3rd airplane and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I purposely did not order an engine yet. I need to get one (The largest I have is an OS 4 stroke 91 in my Sig Four Star 60) but I am nervous about going with gas! I have no experience with gas engines and the glow ones are so easy to use.. So do I go with a large Glow (which one?) or the reccomended Imvac 32 or the Imvac with electronic ignition?? I would like to get an engine that I can use down the road in other models and I am assuming that once you go large you don't go back to small ??

Please advise

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rceric,

my name is Tim and I did the in-house deveopment on this model. I have been spending most of my time on RC Universe talking about the Top Flite B-25 because I worked on that one too. But I just thought I would "chime in" on your spark-ignition ("gas" ) concerns because I can identify with you.

Even though I work in R&D at Hobbico (and have been modeling for around 35 years), I too am relatively new to "gas." I think the first gas plane I worked on was the GP Christen Eagle ARF a few years ago. We did most of the testing with a Fuji 50 on that one. Regardless of brand names, I took a liking to gas right away. Let me tell you (this is from my own experience as well as observations from others in the company who fly gas-powered planes--as projects at work or on their own time), gas engines are usually very easy to start, are easy to tune (adjusting the needle valves), seem to require little or no adjustment once set up, use less fuel (and the fuel--gas--they do use is less expensive than glow fuel), and typically run very clean--all the gas models I've flown to date have required very little cleaning when done flying for the day. They just don't deposit the oily fuel residue all over the bottom like glow engines do. One of my latest projects I've been working on is powered by a Fuji 43. After two gallons of fuel through this model I've had to clean off the bottom of the fuselage like only two or three times--and it's just a fine mist--not dripping with oil as it would have been were this model powered by a comparable glow engine like an O.S. 1.60 two-stoke.

To be fair though, there can be at least one disadvantage of gas engines compared to glow--glow engines are lighter than gas engines in the same class, so when there is a glow alternative, you have to consider the type of flying you want to do. Your giant Super Sportster will fly very well with the Fuji 32, but with a good glow engine it should be a little more "peppy" due to the lighter weight and typically higher RPM of the glow engine. Of course, when flying larger models there is no glow alternative anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get lots more advice about gas engines, how to run them, how to set them, etc. But when getting into larger planes like your giant Super Sportster, gas has several advantages.

Coincidentally, I just picked up my Model Aviation (the AMA magazine) this morning and it had a review of the giant Super Sportster ARF. Of course, they used the Fuji engine, but there are many other good gas engines out there too.

And oh yea, I bet most people prefer the one with electronic ignition (the one that requires an ignition battery over a magneto and flywheel). The flywheel is kinda big and heavy--I don't know if it would fit inside the relatively tight cowl of the Sportster anyway.

Good luck!

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.