Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

picco 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 AM
zero-cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco 40

has anyone had or seen a picco 40.I think its an old racing engine.I picked one up for cheap on rcu.the guy said it will turn 17,500 static with a 9x7
Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: picco 40

ORIGINAL: zero-cool

has anyone had or seen a picco 40.I think its an old racing engine.I picked one up for cheap on rcu.the guy said it will turn 17,500 static with a 9x7
I had one for years. Is your rear exhaust or the side exhaust sport engine with black muffler, round exhaust adapter and clamping collet on the muffler? When I bought mine (FISE), the hobby store owner told me they would turn a 10-6 at something like 16,000. Mine ran in the high 13's. It was a nice robust engine and reasonably powerful, but it did not live up to the hype I was given. Beats me how much I had to do with that, but I thought I treated it well.

My first muffler fatigued and cracked where the inlet adapter met the can itself. A new one lasted for the rest of the life of the engine.

MJD
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Picco always made pretty good engines...

Ive had the Picco 40 and 60 engines .... some year back. Good running, and reliable. And for a while there they were very inexpensive, compaired to Rossi or YS at the time.

Forget running it with a muffler...... not worth the hassle... the engines are pipe timed..... definately need a good pipe system to perform at their best.

of interest... you may be familiar with OPS engines... Picco is the "P" in there. The engines are very similar in design to the OPS pattern and marine engines.

picco mainly focuses on marine and car engines now ... high rpm applications.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
dk823

Yes, I have seen and have a Picco 40. It was a great engine in its day. I would agree with Bob about the pipe. I ran mine on a pipe. We used to take Master Airscrew 10x6's and cut them down to 9x6's. With this prop and a pipe, I'd get about 15,800 -16,500 rpm (it was many years ag0.....that's what my memory is telling me). It was a contender for a very short period of time when the Como/Super Tigre was the king of the hill (early 80s). When Rossi came out with their 40......well, that pretty much ended the use of the Picco for me. I switched to Rossi. It's still a great motor, but cannot compare to today's engines. Modern "high performance" 40's can get to 18,000+ no problem without the pipe.

I remember one thing about the Picco. A friend of mine had one before me. His carb was different than mine. It was the same engine, but different carb. His earllier engine had a sliding mechanism that actuated the rotation of the carb. barrel. Mine (a later version), had the traditional lever attached to the rotating barrel. It's hard to explain, but the earlier Picco carb was much like the Webra dynamix carb. Anyway, we used to fly our two engines together. There was no difference in performance between the two. I always liked his better because of the sliding carb thing. I thought that was unsual and; therefore, pretty cool.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dk823

I remember one thing about the Picco. A friend of mine had one before me. His carb was different than mine. It was the same engine, but different carb. His earllier engine had a sliding mechanism that actuated the rotation of the carb. barrel. Mine (a later version), had the traditional lever attached to the rotating barrel. It's hard to explain, but the earlier Picco carb was much like the Webra dynamix carb. Anyway, we used to fly our two engines together. There was no difference in performance between the two. I always liked his better because of the sliding carb thing. I thought that was unsual and; therefore, pretty cool.
Mine had the slide valve carb as well. Certainly looked funky, what it's net effect was on anything relative to a rotary barrel is beyond me. After several years of use it planted itself in the dirt at high speed (not my fault a Stik doesn't fly without the left wing panel!) and I eventually tossed in the trash as my more modern .40/.46's would outperform it in several ways. But it was a decent engine in it's day.

MJD
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

many of the Pico engines were sold with HB carbs...
they were black plactic , somewhat looking like Perry carbs.

The ones I ran had HB carburators on them.
I later changed the .60 pico to use a ST MagV carb.