Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Funny Things Said In Your LHS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Funny Things Said In Your LHS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funny Things Said In Your LHS

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

A lady walked into the store and said her husband needed a glow plug. The owner said what kind? She Didn't know. Do you know anything about the rc like what it's called? She said no and tried to call her husband to ask but he didn't answer. She replied, "I'll be back in later today" and left. What a slave
this is more common than you think!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Mine has saved my bacon more times than I can count. She's awesome. (with my money)
Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 PM
jatoracing33

this happens everytime...

we juuuuuust sold the last one. i can order it and it will be here in 4 days...4 days later- is that part in? oops, i ordered the wrong part
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, I was in a not to be named Chain HS (HT USA) getting some stuff. A lady was there with her son (about 12 yrs old) looking for a trainer to get started. The kid (had that kind of look of someone that hangs around with a bunch of other guys that have never been out on a date and play fantasy games all day) that worked there knew everything about the fantasy games, but nothing about RC. He trys to sell her a P-51 (not a PTS) but some other fire breathing beast. She asked if a beginner could fly it, and of course the first words out the employee's mouth was "Sure, its easy to fly". The employee was called away to sell some game dice or some other non-RC related item. She looked around some more, and I pulled her off to the side and told her which would be the best way to start. I pointed out a couple of good trainers (both new and a couple of used ones). I also told here which radio system that I perferred. She asked me how I knew what to get get and I told her I was an instuctor at a local club. She said that the employee told her about the P-51, and I told her that if her son wanted to fly for 10 seconds and pick up the pieces, she could waste her money. She ended up buying the used trainer and a new radio system. As she was checking out at the register, the employee said that her son would not like what she was buying and the P-51 was a better way to start. She looked the kid in the eye and asked him "Do you know how fly these model planes?" His answer was (looking down at his feet) was "No, but I can drive the cars." Needless to say, her son and husband joined the club, learned how to fly on that trainer, and today both a great pilots. Not humerous when told in a story, but seeing that employee melt when confronted about his experience made me laugh.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Montague

Great job! Man, I've seen some bad advice, but that's really bad.

We have a well-meaning hobby store here that actually stocks a good selection of glow trainers, but whenever someone asks about getting in to flying models, they sell them the cheapest small electrics they can. Even when the guy really DOES want the more expensive, larger fuel powered plane. They don't bother to ask a couple of questions to figure out what kind of plane is best for them. Of course, this place is mostly a car shop, and while they ARE really friendly and DO support the club, and I like them and all, they really are airplane-clueless. They'd sell more of the larger planes if they just asked newbies coming in what they want to do. If they say they want to fly at the local club, or fly larger planes, sell them the glow trainer.... I just think it's funny that they push a $100 sale to someone who'd spend $400 and be happy...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM
spencer087

lol ya. the only hobby store round' here is hobby town usa. good but they dont have any r/c guys. jus ppl who want a job. thats why im always on here. i bought a sport maxx from them and asked for an extra glow plug. that was my first ever glow model. the glow plug fit into the head and evrything but the glow plug wire was a third of the size of the prong on the glowpug. i tried to take it back but they wouldnt take it back. fustrating. but i now know im more of a flying gu anyway so im sellin the sport maxx and lookin into gettin a smaller sized glow trainer. i have an elec. plane that im goin to fly jus to work on spotting skills and such. even though its completely different from glows.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
REDisFASTER

Guys, I fell for the "I can order it" line... Next Thursday it should be in. That Thursday was about 2 months ago. I ordered the parts from Tower almost a month ago and they're here already...

Problem is, I still have to go back to my LHS because I've got $8 on my tab that I still gotta pay off...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 PM
jatoracing33

yea...they did it to me too

"we dont have it...ill put it on the list to be ordered and it should be here on wednesday." well see if its there when we go back up in a week or 2.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

i went to my lhs to buy a starter box because when i went to my 1st rsce in my local track i was the only one with a pullstarter. So i went there and said to the LHS guy who is very good and very friendly...well i said: i want a starter box.... and he goes: well why dont you wait till you get a new engine to get a starter box! and i go: eeeeeee ooooooook! now i'm planning to get a new engine and need $240 !!!!! it seems much more than giving $70 first and after 5 months $170!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Mattholew

ORIGINAL: wingman371

I have noticed in allot of LHS's they are playing crash videos. Isn't that a deterent to selling a plane?????

LOL! Yeah. The only thing missing to seal the NO-SALE deal would be footage of the pilot crying and picking up the little pieces of balsa wood!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Mattholew

Funniest thing Ive heard:

Ive never flown an RC..........where's your helicopters?

I want to get into flying RC......What can I get for about $50.

Hey I didnt spend all my money....what else you got.

Burn that reciept after I leave.

You never saw me in here, got it!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Mutt

The one I like is I have called a hoby shop in another town since we didnt have one at the time and I would ask if they had something and the price I would get let me call you back super busy ok no problem (remember I know these people) never hear back ok no problem been busy anyways then about a week later I get a call your part is in I say what part they say what it is I say I didnt order it I asked if you had it and how much you reply you will call me back as your busy lol.
We have a hs in our town but they suck eggs they take up to 3 to 4 weeks to order a part they dont know jack about anything rude to customers have even burnt one custoer in the local rc club for 1k bring thier little kids in and they run all over the shop break customers items and wonder why they have no business they got rid of the only person who knew anything about rc stuff. the supossed new expert has been tossed out of all the otehr hobby shops for being a butt head etc he dont know jack. and yet they will tell you lies kid asks how fast will it go and one of them will say oh 60 or more yet it says 40 on the box lol yep lhs waste of time.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 AM
rcmacchipilot

ORIGINAL: bassfisher

Years ago, I was in a not to be named Chain HS (HT USA) getting some stuff. A lady was there with her son (about 12 yrs old) looking for a trainer to get started. The kid (had that kind of look of someone that hangs around with a bunch of other guys that have never been out on a date and play fantasy games all day) that worked there knew everything about the fantasy games, but nothing about RC. He trys to sell her a P-51 (not a PTS) but some other fire breathing beast. She asked if a beginner could fly it, and of course the first words out the employee's mouth was "Sure, its easy to fly". The employee was called away to sell some game dice or some other non-RC related item. She looked around some more, and I pulled her off to the side and told her which would be the best way to start. I pointed out a couple of good trainers (both new and a couple of used ones). I also told here which radio system that I perferred. She asked me how I knew what to get get and I told her I was an instuctor at a local club. She said that the employee told her about the P-51, and I told her that if her son wanted to fly for 10 seconds and pick up the pieces, she could waste her money. She ended up buying the used trainer and a new radio system. As she was checking out at the register, the employee said that her son would not like what she was buying and the P-51 was a better way to start. She looked the kid in the eye and asked him "Do you know how fly these model planes?" His answer was (looking down at his feet) was "No, but I can drive the cars." Needless to say, her son and husband joined the club, learned how to fly on that trainer, and today both a great pilots. Not humerous when told in a story, but seeing that employee melt when confronted about his experience made me laugh.
i have had a similar if not opposite experience to this,
being a country flyer, i had to teach myself to fly, naturally i started with EPP aircraft that were slop soarers ( i recomemnd these to everyone i meet now that is interested in learning to fly, Canterbury sailplanes in NZ makes em, and litterally they are INDESTRUCTABLE ( talking 50 km/h nose ins and they bounce and start flying again )), anycase after a while was starting to have a decent collection of sailplanes and hadnt broken one. Went back to the hobby store and set about buying a nitro plane, and they still tried to sell me another sailplane for training purposes. needless to say i bought a nitro plane ( hangar-9 P51) and after a few practice taxies flew it straight out of the box, no buddy cord or anything. (now to do it with a heli ) incidentaly, on much better terms with a few of the staff at LHS, and now go to these guys as they know what my capabilities are, but it was amazing given the fact that i had already bought so many sailplanes from that place that the guy behind the counter could not comprehend that i knew how to fly.
other thing that irks me is the one that gives you a yes/no answer and then doesnt expalin the alternatives.

having said that now live in canberra, one of the guys in the local hobby store was so accomidating that the first day i walked in talked for three hours and ended up getting free coffee. ( neadless to say in the end i did walk out wiht more than i planned to buy ) Still use the one back home though as they have the best range, just avoid certain people behind the counter.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 AM
crashinbash
My Feedback: (1)

My local hobby store is the only one on the island (vancouver island) and I went in one day to ask if they could get a part in. Knowing they're main distributer to the store was Tower Hobbies I printed off what I needed at home and then took it into the store. It was aluminum parts totaling 110.05 dollars. The total amount was clearly stated on the print out sheet but just to be sure I highlighted it before going. When I arrived I asked the jentalment mark. "Could you be able to get all these items ordered for me", as mark grapped the calculator and replied with a smile on his face "yeah, but it'll be about a hundred and fifty dollars"
Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
maxxdout

At a Mini RCP track with a mini-t:
"Is that stock?" "hahaha NO"
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Well here I am a LHS owner. I'm small and sell to people from 30 size to turbine. I try and carry stuff that all can use.
Here's my side. One of the members buys fuel and trys to sell it at the field a dollar under me. Someone come in and says " stock this and they will sell. A year later 11 are still sitting here. I have 4 of something for 6 months and in one week 5 people want it. Someone has to wait until Wednesday.
A new person in wanting to fly and thinks he can do better on e-bay. Want did he get? A old MDS thats locked up, a Futaba gold box thats not 92 stickered and I can't describe the plane.
A kid that buys a car on-line and wants me to fix it free because "I'm a dealer"
A club member needs something fast to fly this week-end and tells me he'll pay next week. Still waiting.
Showing a new person a radio system and having someone in the store come up in front of me and tell him he's got a used one in the car he'll sell.
Why do I still stay in business? For the love of the hobby. For the fun of watching a person that is a customer land by himself for the first time.
The coffee is always hot the cokes are $.50 and there's a place to sit and talk RC. Most everybody is understanding and I fly with my customers every Sunday. You can call me at home and I will stop at the store on the way to the field and bring the part with me. If there is a mishap flying I've come back to the store to keep them flying.
In my case I won't sell what I fell is a bad system because I'll be there at the field with you.
Dennis
Old 09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Major Pain

Wish you were closer to our area. Sounds like you have a great store and good place to shop.---Revver Bro#164
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Thomasp168

Ok guys,

This happened to me last weekend. My 40 surpass backfired and threw the prop. After some searching to no avail, I went to one of the LHS, not my usual one with the knowledgable staff, but one that was open late, and part of a large chain. I found a new prop and spinner, but couldn't find a prop nut. I asked the lady that owns the store if she had any prop nuts, she did not understand what I was talking about, and kept pointing me to prop nuts for electrics. We finally had to open a new OS so I could show her what it was. Needless to say, she didn't have one. Went to Lowes and got one for .15.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Thomasp168

The best thing I've said at the LHS:

Is this radio worth a divorce????
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
dakota_davies

no you cant fix it you will have to buy this realy expensive part
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Todd Chandler

I worked for about a year at a LHS. One day a guy came into the shop carrying his son in a baby seat (asleep) and set him down. He was in the shop for maybe 15 minutes payed for his stuff and walked out the door gets in his car, starts it. All before he realized Oh *****... When he came running back in all I could think about was him getting home with parts in tow and his wife asking wheres my son? once you get past how scary it really is, It is bar none my favorite hobby shop story.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I work part time at HT USA.Guy walks in with a r/c nitro car he got from ebay.He states I can't get it to start.
First thing I notice is the smell of gasoline.Yep,you guessed it.He tried to run it on gasoline,its a gas car right.
I tell him he needs to run it on nitro fuel.Whats that?he asks.you know the routine,have to explain it to him.
How much is it?he asks. $26.99 gallon.What?You also need to clean out the gas tank and replace the fuel line.
Will you do it for me?he asks.Sure,$20.00 bucks and I will get it started also.Why am I being charged for this?he asks?
Where did you buy it?Ebay.Will the seller from ebay do it for you for free?No.Why should we then?If we sell a r/c vehicle,
first repair is for free, after that it is a charge of a minimum of $20.00 plus whatever parts.So I got the car running.
He pays and leaves with the car.1 week later he is back.I need some parts.Broke front lower a-arm and dogbone missing.
forgot to mention this is a X brand car(cheap $$)from ebay of course.We don't carry that brand car or parts,sir.
When can you get them.Ok let me say it this way,our r/c supplier does not carry that car.Oh,where can I get the parts?
Uh,try EBAY where you got the car.Oh.Tried to show him a car(onroad)like his.that costs too much.Well now you have a
broken car that you can't find parts for.Thanks for the help,he says and left.

My favorite is which car/truck/plane is the fastest?How much is it?oohh thats to much.
I can get it cheaper at Walmart/Ebay.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, most definitely "good wifey". Where do I go to get one of those?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
f103gt

I am into R/c cars and its funny because one day I went into my LHS and I asked what would be a good starter for on-road racing. Well I knew some of the stuff but he offered me the most expensive car in the store it was over 600+ Which was a while ago. I believe it was the Tc-5 I could be mistaken but then I went to another LHS and the guy I seen racing at the race track on the Friday night before. I ask him the same question he got me a pretty good deal and he doesn't go this a needed thing to have like some guys would offer you the brushless systems which arent even in ROAR rules.. LHS are completly different. Makes me laugh!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
125cchyperman

Not all LHS are bad, but I've seen some pretty bad one's. But I also hate that dreaded line, We'll we can order it for you. But they normally do a great job. Now as for the Wifey, thats a good one there. As for where you get one like that Idk, but I think my G/F would be like that though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.