Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 3D 150 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 3D 150 ARF

Old 09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twist 3D 150 ARF

Ren,

I fly my Saito 150 either with a 17x6 or a 18x4W APC prop and I don't have an issue with prop clearence. So if you stick with the 18 you won't need to worry about trying to find another gear for it. I just was wondering why and now you explained it. I only fly glow and gas, so I don't know anything about electric motors.

Thanks for the explanation,

Barry
Old 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
renwick56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Ren,

I fly my Saito 150 either with a 17x6 or a 18x4W APC prop and I don't have an issue with prop clearence. So if you stick with the 18 you won't need to worry about trying to find another gear for it. I just was wondering why and now you explained it. I only fly glow and gas, so I don't know anything about electric motors.

Thanks for the explanation,

Barry
Thanks Barry -

This is good to know. I am only guessing about needing to go to a 20" prop. This is based upon motor manufacturers suggestions. I am very anxious to get this airplane in the air!

Cheers,
Ren
Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
NCIS

Ren,

Good luck on your Maiden flight and have a blast with it, I know I sure am.

Barry
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 AM
linkadrip

NCIS
Well i see you have found a home here in this thread. Havent seen you in the other one in awhile. Amazed at how much this thread has grown. I purchased the 150 and gonna put a gas engine in it. Did talk about it in the other thread a little. But seems that this is the thread for the 150 really.

I tried starting my own thread on another forum web site the Flying Giants but no one there seems to want to talk about the plane. Guess its not considered a giant in there community seems to be a big enough plane to me. it will fit a 26 cc Gas engine in it which is what i bought for it.

Wondering what servos are good to get for the plane Seem it needs some real high torque servos for it. Just wondering what you have put in yours maybe i could get away with putting cheaper ones in it.

Link

Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
NCIS

Link,

I put Futaba S3305's in my 150. They are High Torque Metal Geared Servos and are very reasonably priced. Everyone including Tower says they are for cars and boats but I used them anyway. They work great and anyway I never listen to what other people tell me unless I like it. I know a lot of people using them in planes. In my opinion a high torque servo is a high torque servo. They also said I would have to use a NiCad 6V battery because of the huge draw by these servos. I have flown my plane as many as 4 12 minute flights with a 6V 2000MaH NiMH battery and the battery was still over the safety limit. You can't always beleive what you read. I would go with them if I were you.

Good Luck and lets keep this Thread alive,

Barry
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Hitec HS-645 MG has higher torque with no warning labels about what kind of batteries you should use or where you can use them. AND...for this it's few dollars ($5, I think) more...but use whatever batteries you want. This is generally a good servo I've used for years for 15 to 25 lb. scale planes. For a 9-10 lb. aerobatic plane it should be perfect. Currently using them in my H9 Funtana 90 flawlessly.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 PM
linkadrip

NCIS and OutaControl
Great definetly need to know the correct servos to use, thanks for the info. now if i would have just asked this question in the extra 330L thread, i wouldnt have a crashed plane now. [:@]But Not this time i cant crash my Twist 150 Due to a servo stripping in flight. It is a hair rasing awful experience that i never want to happen again.[X(]
I will look into the servos you mention. The ones i planned to use i saved in my wish list and i'm happy to know that there the same ones you mention. the Futaba S3305 Servos High-Torque Standard w/Metal Gears from Tower hobbies. If you Know of any other site that might have them cheaper that would be great. I guess i dont have to buy five of them i can use a cheaper servo for the throttle.

Have to set this one up right can't have anymore flight failers do to incorect equipment it hurts to much, I mean if it would have been pilot error then thats a differnet matter i could handle it better. But when equipment fails it just seems to hurt more .[:@] You would think it would be the other way around.

I'll take a look at the Hitec HS-645 MG servos too.

Cant belieave that someone in another thread told me that if i want a 3D plane to find something different.[sm=50_50.gif] I'm hoping i get a reply as to why. I would think the Twist 150 will 3D just as good as any of the smaller versions. It basically the same thing just bigger scale. Just hope the 16X8 prop for the BCMA-SPORT26 IV engine will put out like it says it does. This engine swings a XOAR 16x8 propeller at approx. 8000 rpm. According to the manufacture. Which should be more then enough to huck the plane around.

Again thanks for the info on recomended servos, as i'm slowly begining to learn you cant just throw whatever into a plane and expect it to perfom like its suppose to.

Everything has to be right or something will go wrong.

What is it with mentioning other forum sites. I mentioned another site i post on and its always blocked out *******. Anyone got any idea about that? Is the competion between forums sites that competitive.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM
NCIS

Link,

I used a Futaba S3004 for the throttle. It's just a standard servo. You don't need to spend more than $14.00 on the throttle servo anyway. Mine works great.

Gibbs
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
outacontrol41

You were blocked from mentioning that 'other' forum?? Ho, ho,[sm=lol.gif] That's a hoot!! I guess it's like why radio stations don't mention other radio stations in their broadcast.....they simply don't want you to know anyone else out there exists except their radio station. Too funny. Freedom of speech?! We don't need no stinkin' freedom of speech![:@]
Anyway....I was using Futaba S3004 servos on my H9 Funtana 90 ailerons and flying the normal 3D routine - knife edge, inverted flat spin, hovering, etc. and guess what happened to my right aileron servo?? That's right. Stripped gears. Still worked...barely...when I noticed it. Very crunchy and free areas in the throw. Wow! I learned as you did....use the right equipment for the right job. I was lucky I noticed it in time and by accident....wasn't really looking for it.

Oh, by the way, I GOT MY NEW TWIST 150 FRIDAY!!! I'll be using a G23 with an APC 16x4W as a starting point. I'm in the 'club'!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
linkadrip

outacontrol
Yes you were real lucky that you didnt have a major flight failure, i'm still a little bent about my mishap wish my servos would have keept working just enough to land properly. No they stripped out completely, I checked them you can hear the motor working inside but there is no movement. I'll find out more when i open them up. Still waiting for my Twist 150 to come tracking says the 10th for it from UPS and the engine well USPS tracking is a joke, It doesnt tell ya anything except the they were notified of shipping and it stays that way till it is delivered to your door then it says you have got your stuff. Whats the point of having a tracking system if it doesnt track anything. But the engine was shipped Oct 6. And my order for the engine was place October 2 Someone needs to wake up.

Hope it all arrives in good condition and undamaged But the waiting thing is always a drag.

outacontrol
Hope your G23 with an APC 16x4W prop works good sounds like a good combination. I'll be in the CLub too As soon as i get mine.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM
NCIS

Outa,

I would only use the 3004's on things like a throttle, etc. I lost a Twist 60 using 3004's on the surfaces and they stripped out completely like Link's did.[&o] After that I always use high torque metal gears. I am a Giant Scale Warbird builder and on my 1/4 scale Don Smith 120" wingspan F4U-1A Corsair I'm about to start building I'm using high torque metal gears for sure but because of the investment I'm going with the best out there that Futaba has. I haven't done my research on that yet but the plane will weigh at least 55lbs. What would you recommend for that heavy plane?

Gibbs
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
outacontrol41

Foot pedals and a stick.......

But seriously, I dunno. That's outa my league.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 PM
NCIS

Thanks,

It's out of my league too but I'm a nut and love Giant Warbirds. I'm going to modify this Corsair so it looks just like the real deal. All the way down to rivets and panel lines. It's a 3 year build. It will have a 3W 200cc 20hp gas engine in it swinging a Solo 32" diameter 3 blade prop. Now back to the Twist 150. Don't forget to post some pictures of it when your done with the setup. I love to see what other Guy's plane looks like. Do you have to cut off the cheeks for the 23?

Gibbs
Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
outacontrol41

Yea I'll be cutting cheeks...no other way around it. But should turn out okay. I'll post pictures.

About the Corsair....I suppose no matter what brand you go with, you'll be in the 300+ sq. oz. of torque servo range...metal gears and very expensive. Better start saving your money.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
NCIS

Outa,

The plane will have 13 servos and all but 6 are very high torque. I figued $135.00 each and then a real dood metal gear high torque for the other 5 just to be safe. About $1200.00 I guessed.

Ailerons 2
Flaps 2
Rudder 1
Elevator 2
Throttle 1
Choke 1
Retracts 1
Gear doors 1
Sliding canopy 1
Bomb drop 1

Yep 13

Gibbs
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM
outacontrol41

And if you use two receivers as some ultra large scale models have, you'll be using two, possibly three batteries to distibute the load. I don't know much more beyond that but this project sounds like a major undertaking as well as a good learning experience for giant scale. Do you plan to insure it? You know....just in case?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM
NCIS

Outa,

I checked with my insurance agent and he couldn't find any company that would take it on. It's going to worth around $8,500.00 when complete not counting time. If you know of a company let me know. I thought maybe Lords of London!!!

Gibbs
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
outacontrol41

Do you have a friend or a friend of a friend who is a pilot/full scale airplane owner? He/she may have your answer as full scale owners have insurance on their aircraft...at least liability, anyway, to cover bumpy landings and other mishaps. Possibly a company specializing in full scale small aircraft might take you on. better check with AMA as well, 'cause I think they might have airplane size/weight limits in what they'll cover. Geez...[:-]...are you sure you want to do this?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 PM
NCIS

Outa,

I am a Pilot and had a 1968 Piper Cherokee PA-28 140 with a 150 hp Lycoming in it and it had insurance on it but you can't get it on a model that your not actually flying in.[&o] I haven't flown for quite some time now but if I want to all I need to do is get a flight physical and go up with an instructor for a review.

Gibbs
Old 10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
linkadrip

Yea i finally am a part of the the TWIST 150 CLub i got my plane today and it is awsome Not as big as i thought it would be but still big enough. Very cool Now if that engine will get here and my servos i can get to work on it. The company that sells the engine i bought said that the pitts style muffler they have for it is on Backorder so i wont get that anytime soon. SHouldnt list it on there web site as avalible if you dont have it. But i do believe they shipped the engine. at least that what the Post office says. And it should be here soon.
But now i'm a member of the 150 club
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Walt and Sage

[8D]...Welcome to the 150 Club...

Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 PM
NCIS

Link,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!! Your going to love it. I like the Club Idea. It's kind of like a Brotherhood

Gibbs
Twist 150 Brotherhood
Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
outacontrol41

I wonder who started talking about a club? For the answer...see post 134.....[sm=lol.gif]lol But seriously, that sounds like a neat idea. To be a member, simply own and fly a Twist 150. You're only an associate member if you buy one and it sits NIB in the closet. I'm gathering my gear right now....be in the air soon!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM
NCIS

Outa,

Well since you started the Club it's only right that you be responsable for assigning numbers to the Brotherhood. You will be Twist 150 Brotherhood #1. So sign each post with your user name and then under that Twist 150 Brotherhood #1. Now you take it from there. Assign us numbers.

Barry/NCIS
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
outacontrol41

Barry,
The assigned numbers are as follow:

Twist 150 Brotherhood #
outacontrol41...............1
NCIS...........................2
defaris........................3
snacker.......................4
GWARREN2..................5
lefnut...........................6
raptor 8.......................7
RACJ...........................8
Walt and Sage..............9
crebulus......................10
renwick56...................11
linkadrip.....................12

I think I got everyone. The names are listed and assigned a number in the order that each individual wrote in to say they had a Twist 150....this is only fair. Others who get Twists and want to join the brotherhood can simply look at this list and assign themselves a higher numer after the last club member that joined. To everyone named and loves flying their H9 Twist 150, I say welcome to our club. Read our thoughts, add your own, and genearally have fun!!!

outacontrol41
Twist 150 Brotherhood 1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.