Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H-9 Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:41 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: H-9 Extra 260

Well I got 3 flights on the plane today and its classic 260 performance. There is not much to say other than that its a kick butt airplane and it flies wonderfully. As with most good 260's it tracks like its on rails and is very predictable yet is incredibly responsive on high rates. I like aft range of the recommended cg, at that it still did not act tail heavy. I needed about 3 clicks of down trim on the maiden for level flight.

There was some talk about coupling mixes.. It might need a little mixing but I never thought,, "oh my gosh it needs a mix really bad for -----". The airplane is pretty doggone true.

Its a very responsive airplane and the brand new DA100 hauls it around like its got 20 gallons of fuel through it with the Vess 27B prop. Its going to be a heck of a combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87638.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	773660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21074.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	773661  
Old 09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Hate to break it to you, but QQ and EF don't have a 260, and both have had quality issues. I have had planes from both of them and experienced issues with quality.
If you want top-quality/durability at the expense of a little extra weight, Aeroworks is the only option, period - and they make a 260.
I can tell you that the H9 is most definitely lighter (this is me taking back a previous comment that they would be about the same weight, now that I have built mine and weighed it.
I definitely can't fault you for wanting top-quality, but no ARF, even Aeroworks, is going to be flawless.
ORIGINAL: yarom

Appreciate the encouraging words, but if there are similar sized planes, from competitors at a similar price point and weight, i'd rather go for the one that is perfectly finished and does require that much work fixing and cleaning up...

Both QQ and EF have or will have offerings in this size and I cannot recall having seen a trail of glue or improper covering joints in any of their stuff for quite a while now.

Perhaps if H9 will have a second manufacturing run with strong emphasis on assembly quality and kits will show up well finished, it would be a very interesting option. Plane sure looks nice and from the thread reports, it seem to come out at a good weight for a 100cc...

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

For those of you on the fence about this plane because of the glue, just like the QQ Yak, you will tend to forgive after you fly it. I know it doesn't make the plane look better, but it really shouldn't be a make or break in deciding to buy.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

Gosh, I just dont have the problems you guys are having with covering and glue. Mine does not have one single drop of glue on the covering and other than a little light ironing it is pretty much perfect. It really is. The only problem I had was with a couple of the short turnbuckles being straight threaded (ringed, not threaded). Thats it. Other than that I have really not found any flaws.
I got a second pair of wings here and they still have fingerprints and glue residue on them, but not nearly as bad the first set. Like I said, though, after the first flight the glue smudges didn't bother me so much!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
MikeEast

Yeah I am really impressed with the way the plane flies. I looked really hard and found 2 prints on the right wing. That was it.

The thing that I let Horizon know about was the fact that I had 2 turnbuckles that they did not thread at the factory. Its like the tool messed up and ringed the shaft but there is no tapered thread. You cannot screw the connectors on. That was late Friday, I will probably get a response tomorrow. Fortunately I have some titanium turnbuckles in my stash so I just replaced them with what I had.

BW are you using the 8711's or 5955's? I Have been using 5955's for a while, but I really like the 8711. Its a big step up in all categories for JR. Its smooth, fast, precise and the servos all matched very well. I did not need matchboxes to get a perfect bind free setup.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want top-quality/durability at the expense of a little extra weight, Aeroworks is the only option, period - and they make a 260.
Seen both and flown both and you could not be more wrong.

The H-9 is a fare better value and their customer service is second to none.

The H-9 has a more finished and complete kit.
a. hinges already sealed
b. well designed kit no need for a pull / pull much quicker to install
c. piano hinge on rudder is easier to install and removable. (aeroworks get the epoxy out)
d. C/F tail wheel assembly not spring steel.
e. all hard points installed.
f. cool pilot.
g. ask Aeroworks about replacement parts if you’re lucky they will be in stock the only problem is then is the price.

The plane is at least a pound lighter and it's a heck of a lot better looking aircraft. (covering and scale appearance)

And you still say Aeroworks is better.

Stop drinking the cool-aid bodywerks
Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
T. Bob

BTW, I reweighed the plane on a calibrated scale...26-1/4 pounds. I just don't believe it!
This guy just can't leave well enough alone.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
eraser

Bodyworks
I can't believe you called my QQ Yak a turd in a pervious post (you might hurt it's feelings) LOL. I'm still flying it after I bought it from you a year ago in Colorado. At 26.5 lb. it kicks ***** and is still going strong.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine flew yesterday. A little breezy but no problems (other than blowing my hat off!)

DA-100, 27 pounds 2 ounces, 8711's, 3600 mah 5 cell batteries (that's what added to the weight)

Most normal flying at half throttle. Pointed the nose up and hit the power.

It hasn't come back to earth yet!

Just kidding.

I plan to get up with Robert Vess for some "real" 3D flying next weekend.

Yes, THAT Robert Vess.

Photos later. Some error message right now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23600.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	774009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28857.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	774010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71093.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	774011  
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

a. hinges already sealed
c. piano hinge on rudder is easier to install and removable. (aeroworks get the epoxy out)
f. cool pilot.
g. ask Aeroworks about replacement parts if you’re lucky they will be in stock the only problem is then is the price.

The plane is at least a pound lighter and it's a heck of a lot better looking aircraft. (covering and scale appearance)

Never said it was better, but the finish quality is better, bar-none. The guy wants top-quality finish. He WILL NOT get it with this H9 260 - period! Now, all your other points (except G - haven't needed spare parts) are very valid. They still don't make it a better quality finish.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 AM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: pettit

Mine flew yesterday. A little breezy but no problems (other than blowing my hat off!)

DA-100, 27 pounds 2 ounces, 8711's, 3600 mah 5 cell batteries (that's what added to the weight)

Most normal flying at half throttle. Pointed the nose up and hit the power.

It hasn't come back to earth yet!

Just kidding.

I plan to get up with Robert Vess for some "real" 3D flying next weekend.

Yes, THAT Robert Vess.

Photos later. Some error message right now.

Cool deal Dick.. I am glad that you had a good day with it. [8D]
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
bodywerks

Mike, I am using an 8711 on the rudder and 5955's everywhere else. I only have 1.7 flights on mine so far, but I can tell you the 8711 is definitely not lacking in power. Got mine back together now, though, and plan to wring it out all week.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

a. hinges already sealed
f. cool pilot.

Never said it was better, but the finish quality is better, bar-none. The guy wants top-quality finish. He WILL NOT get it with this H9 260 - period! Now, all your other points (except G - haven't needed spare parts) are very valid. They still don't make it a better quality finish.

All I got to say is I saw TBOBS H9 260. The quality is there. One thing that surprised me was the shine to the cowl. I have yet to see another arf that had the paint shine like that. Now back on topic about this top quality arf from H9. This is not an Aeroworks thread.
Thank you!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
MikeEast

Not speaking to anyone in particular, to be honest I don't really see a need to compare the two planes, when you do you are really splitting hairs. The differences are so minimal that they really are not worth mentioning. Both are both excellent buys and you cannot go wrong either way. I have flown both 260's and I found that they were both really truly excellent airplanes on the ground and in the air.

To me the Hangar 9 260 is a really beautiful airplane, and looks very scale..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
MikeEast

OH!!

There is something important that I forgot to mention. I am going to change the color scheme on the bottom of the wing. The top and bottom are enough alike that in the air that it was very difficult for me to tell whether its inverted or upright when the vertical fin was not visible like in a reverse stall turn. I found myself momentarily unsure several times yesterday and I am afraid that its going to cost me someday if I dont change it. I will probably do basic invasion stripes or maybe even just go solid white and put some vinyl on the underside of the wing.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Edge

Typical know-it-all warbird pilot. Probably the kind that builds beautiful planes and crashes the first time he takes the sticks.
Everytime a war bird goes up I get in my car.
You never know where those guys will end up.
Tbob, never hide in your car from a warbird, stand on the center line of the runway, safest place, they're never anywhere near it.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
T. Bob

Tbob, never hide in your car from a warbird, stand on the center line of the runway, safest place, they're never anywhere near it.
Edge
Now thats funny, you have just made my day.

Hey I'm just pulling bodywerks chain, we all know he's good buddies with Rocco and has to walk the line.

The H-9 is soooooo much better lookin than the Aeroworks.
But in Aeroworks defence they where the first ones out with the "Quick Build" design and H-9 just perfected it.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
T. Bob

Mike
Your right the bottom looks to much like the top.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Craven
My Feedback: (8)

LOL.......know-it-all bodywerks must have some nice warbirds since he flies 1.7 flights.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
MikeEast

nevermind, I get it.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Cool - well aware that QQ does not have an Extra 260 (or any other Extra).

I was just talking about the general quality of the kits. I put together 3 QQ planes in the last year and they consistently were excellent in terms of fit and finish. I agree the Aeroworks stuff is quite good. Just saw one of their new 75cc at the field (already defunct now) and it looked real nice.

EF Still is a completely different story and I am atill struggling to find anything that compares. Been cleaning the bench and rearranging the tools every evening for a month now, in aticipation of the upcoming Extra...

Hate to break it to you, but QQ and EF don't have a 260, and both have had quality issues. I have had planes from both of them and experienced issues with quality.
I can tell you that the H9 is most definitely lighter (this is me taking back a previous comment that they would be about the same weight, now that I have built mine and weighed it.
I definitely can't fault you for wanting top-quality, but no ARF, even Aeroworks, is going to be flawless.
ORIGINAL: yarom

Appreciate the encouraging words, but if there are similar sized planes, from competitors at a similar price point and weight, i'd rather go for the one that is perfectly finished and does require that much work fixing and cleaning up...

Both QQ and EF have or will have offerings in this size and I cannot recall having seen a trail of glue or improper covering joints in any of their stuff for quite a while now.

Perhaps if H9 will have a second manufacturing run with strong emphasis on assembly quality and kits will show up well finished, it would be a very interesting option. Plane sure looks nice and from the thread reports, it seem to come out at a good weight for a 100cc...

For those of you on the fence about this plane because of the glue, just like the QQ Yak, you will tend to forgive after you fly it. I know it doesn't make the plane look better, but it really shouldn't be a make or break in deciding to buy.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Silly Question:
I am installing the ignition module and I don't see anything in the instructions pertaining to where the wires are supposed to run (how to get them back to the radio compatment). This was kind of a surprise as everything else in the instructions is spot on. I can very easily cut a hole in the firewall or the motor box, but I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something before I started hacking away.

Am I supposed to just cut a hole in the motor box or firewall for the wires leading back to the battery and receiver?

TIA for the help.
Anthony
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: AAbdu

Silly Question:
I am installing the ignition module and I don't see anything in the instructions pertaining to where the wires are supposed to run (how to get them back to the radio compatment). This was kind of a surprise as everything else in the instructions is spot on. I can very easily cut a hole in the firewall or the motor box, but I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something before I started hacking away.

Am I supposed to just cut a hole in the motor box or firewall for the wires leading back to the battery and receiver?

TIA for the help.
Anthony

Drill a hole... I know it sounds like I am being smart allec but I'm not. Seriously, drill or Dremel a hole.. thats how you do it. I just Dremeled a slot that would fit the ignition plug for the DA. [8D]
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for posting those interior pics, one question for you though, how come your RX is not on the power expander? I'm thinking I'm going to make this my first 2.4gig plane, running dual fromeco 2600's into a wolverine into the fromeco regs into a smart fly power expander so I was wondering why your RX is mounted off the power expander.

Thanks!

Oh one other question, I'm going to be using the regular in-cowl mufflers for the DA100, do the regular mufflers fit or do you need the compact mufflers with the corners cut. <-not specifically for you Mike but anyone who knows.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

That's what I figured. I just didn't want to start cutting without asking someone.

Thanks again.
Anthony
Old 10-01-2007, 07:46 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Regular in-cowl mufflers will work fine, The cawl on this thing is a large for a 35%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.