Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Receiver battery ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Retiredtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver battery ??

Does A123 battery or anyone else have a 6 volt lipo for the receiver ? Or any other configuration that is lighter than regular receiver packs ??
I am putting my Revo on a diet !
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Receiver battery ??

use a voltage regulator
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retiredtech

Does A123 battery or anyone else have a 6 volt lipo for the receiver ? Or any other configuration that is lighter than regular receiver packs ??
I am putting my Revo on a diet !
I use the 2 cell A123 pack for rx -in all my larger planes which need a rx/servo pack
this pack requires NO regulator -andhas now shown to be excellent method as there is no reg to heat and possibly fail
th e pack weighs 5.5 ounces and has 2000ma effective capacity (rated at 2300ma.)
the ability to provide current at even very high levels -with only minor voltage drop exceeds almost any other practical setup
the cells are actually designed for harsh industrial construction tool use so are very rugged and can be run flat with no damage. look up A123 technology and examine specs.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Retiredtech

How many volts will they have ??
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Retiredtech

Do they have a site where I can buy from ??
Old 09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Packs will carry 6.6 V after the bloom is off a charge and run down to 6.3 V where they will dump.
They may be purchased at A123racing.com or tanicpacks.com who will put together custom configurations
of A123 packs if needed. If you decide to use these cells, you would be well served to do some research
regarding their use as the procedures are slightly different from anthing else you've probably used. Not difficult,
just diffrent.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
renwick56

Dick -

How do you charge your A123 receiver packs? I intend on using these cells to power my receiver in a plane that will have 6 digital servos. I am doing this as I fear the horror stories associated with high current draw servos. I was just wonder if I should just use my Xtrema with a Futaba/JR receptacles for the receiver pack....

Ren
Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 AM
everydayflyer

You could do that but will be limited charge rate wise due to wiring harness size. I would add a seperate heavy duty (14ga) charging lead so pack can be charged at max. available from charger. A 10A charge rate will give you a less than 20 min. full charge from empty and a top off charge in a few minutes.
Dick has posted that he uses a FMA CellPro4 which means charging through the balancing leads.
In my experience most balancing leads are good for no more than 5 Amps. however if balancing leads are used in combination with the main leads 10A is not a problem.
I use a Balance Pro HD with my 3S-5S A123 packs with such a setup. nine amp. 20 min. charges.

Attachment shows a 5S under charge. Note adapter board with extension lead for TP balancing connector and 14 ga. leads with Dean Ultra connector which I added to carry the bulk of the charge. Prior to adding extra leads charger would not charge any higher than arounf 4A and balancing leads were geting fairly warm. Also in photo is anin-line shunt and DVM to show charge rate.
Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45254.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	785325