Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hello All

Some time back John, ( skylarkmk1) sent me a copy of the original manual it has been vary helpful so I scanned it and sent the file to Chris he has it up on houseofmoy now.

Thanks Chris and all that has made houseofmoy It has been vary helpful to me.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ken B&b has a mount for your engine that is longer than the stock one it mounts all the way back to behind the muff. I have one they work just fine , just ck the prop distance for your plane first.

charlie AMA 8916
WACObrotherhood #67
Old 10-16-2007, 10:43 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

Working on the photos as explained in my reply to your e-mail. I will also send him copies of the Historical Aviation Album 3 view drawings that shows the original tube frame work and gear attachment points with some measurements.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM
skylarkmk1

Dan,

Thanks for sending the manual to Chris. For those that don't know, the manual Dan sent is the long 45 page one that is more detailed and step by step. The revised manual on the House of Moy is the shorter 17 page one (less detailed) that has all the updates developed on this thread up to 14 May 2007. I am working on revising and updateing the Long manual.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

Working on the photos as explained in my reply to your e-mail. I will also send him copies of the Historical Aviation Album 3 view drawings that shows the original tube frame work and gear attachment points with some measurements.
John,

Thanks from all the Brotherhood. The scale landing gear will mean more than most realize. It will enable us to make scale like landings without bouncing all over the runway. It might even allow Ken to not log so many touch and goes every flight. It will cure a long time sore spot with these planes, since no one has ever (to my knowledge) had a truly scale fifth scale Waco.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 AM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello All

Some time back John, ( skylarkmk1) sent me a copy of the original manual it has been vary helpful so I scanned it and sent the file to Chris he has it up on houseofmoy now.

No problemo.

If anyone else has something to add, make sure to email me directly. I have a new baby at home, so don't often get a chance to read every post in the thread

Chris
Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello All

No problemo.

If anyone else has something to add, make sure to email me directly. I have a new baby at home, so don't often get a chance to read every post in the thread

Chris
New Baby?????????? We didn't know.........Congratulations are in order (another Brotherhood prospect). Did you name it WACO????????? Just kidding...Give us the details.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
red1

John, Bill, Jim -

Thanks guys. Very helpful input.

Don Borton (aka red 1)
WACO Brotherhood 72
AMA IMAA
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
lazyace

hi guys anyone interested in a good white glue just as good as the old pica here is a link www.lmii.com , Ive been useing it for a while dryies in about 15 to 25 min holds real good.

charlie AMA 8916

WACO brotherhood # 67
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: WacoJoe

Joe ain't about to lend you no full scale Waco. He's seen your landings.
Gee, I don't know Bill. Maybe his landings are better than mine!! [X(]

Joe
WB #54
How many times have you drug your chin this year?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Or broken a wingtip (s)

Joe, thanks for the support. Hopefully, if I were sitting in the "hotseat" either in a model or the real thing, I'd take extra pains to watch my airspeed (at least in the real thing I'd have a gauge to look at and not just a 'best guess'). But I'd let Joe land it any time, you don't even know the wheels have touched, it's so smooth.

Hey Joe, how ya doin'? Next time I get to ride, I gotta find me a 'chute to wear. I want to look up to see down, if ya know what I mean Been anywhere fun and interesting lately? Of course the place could be boring as heck, but the getting there will always be fun and interesting.
Ken and Bill,

No broken wingtips or scuffed chins lately, so I guess I'm doing OK!

Ken, thanks for the kind words on my landings. I hate to tell you this, but they aren't all quite that smooth!! (But I keep trying!! ) Don't put too much stock in an airspeed indicator though. On landing you get a lot more info through the seat of your pants and through your hands and feet than you do looking at any gauge or instrument!!

As far as interesting places, the season is starting to wind down around here. I did go to Brodhead WI for the Midwest Antique Airplane Club's Grassroots fly-in, in early September. I haven't gotten around to posting anything on my blog yet, as I've just been too darned busy. I'll get something posted soon. Other than that, a couple of local fly-ins has been about it. I hope to get one or two more good weekends in before I put her away for the winter though.

And you're right, even if the gathering is nothing special, the trip there and back is always fun!!

Cheers!

Joe
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Stickbuilder

What a fortunate individual.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 Live Wire (Larry)
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
#57 Black Drape (Ron)
#58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
#59 Snowball
#60 doc zinger
#61 jagnweiner (Scott)
#62 Meesh (Bob)
#63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
#64 stifts (Steve)
#65 RCWalker (Wallace)
#66 Mobyal
#67 lazyace
#68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
#69 trlambsr
#70 Big Bird (Ken)
#71 Tony V (Tony)
#72 red 1
#73 412t1 (Sean)
#74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
#75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
#77 tomcraig

#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't put too much stock in an airspeed indicator though. On landing you get a lot more info through the seat of your pants and through your hands and feet than you do looking at any gauge or instrument!!

Gee, Joe, I'm confused, now. What does tingling fingers, jittery feet, and MAJOR pucker in the seat of the pants area say about airspeed when landing?

I understand what you're saying, but none of what you're talking about exists when bringing in an r/c plane. Just the good ol' Mark I eyeball, and good judgement of the model's pre-stall behavior, which I seem to lack on some occasions.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: lazyace

ken B&b has a mount for your engine that is longer than the stock one it mounts all the way back to behind the muff. I have one they work just fine , just ck the prop distance for your plane first.
Charlie, do you have a link or url for B&B? Thanks, Ken
Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

The photos went out today (at least I hope the did). I sent them from a friends computer (high speed) and sent a copy to me (haven't recieved it yet). I will call Darrell tomorrow and see if he got them (cross your fingers). If not I'll send them by slow e-mail (dial-up).
Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Stickbuilder

John,

Let's hope that they went through. Did you notice the 200 page milestone has been passed?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,
Oh yeah!, less than 20 posts until 4000.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM
lazyace

ken
here is the link www.bennettbuilt.com

charlie AMA 8916
WACO brotherhood #67
Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
lazyace

stickbuilder or anyone

there are no punch marks on f5 for the landing gear blocks need placement of gear block from ant ref. point thanks

charlie AMA8916

WACObrotherhood #67
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: khodges

Don't put too much stock in an airspeed indicator though. On landing you get a lot more info through the seat of your pants and through your hands and feet than you do looking at any gauge or instrument!!

Gee, Joe, I'm confused, now. What does tingling fingers, jittery feet, and MAJOR pucker in the seat of the pants area say about airspeed when landing?

I understand what you're saying, but none of what you're talking about exists when bringing in an r/c plane. Just the good ol' Mark I eyeball, and good judgement of the model's pre-stall behavior, which I seem to lack on some occasions.
Well, all that pucker factor would mean one of two things as it relates to airspeed on landing. It means you've ether got way too much or way too little!!! [X(]

I know that doesn't apply to model flying though. I am very appreciative and respectful of those who can make beautiful landings with RC aircraft. Definitely a different skill set than used when sitting in the thing!

Cheers!

Joe
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

Talked with Darrell this morning, he did not get the email with the photos, so I will be sending the pictures out on a disk (or jump drive) at his request, to him via snail mail; he should have them by the end of this week or Monday.

2nd Phone call was to Robin Williams, owner of the YMF Classic, NC 14081, that I have posted many pictures of in this thread. He informed me that his plane will be 20 years old next month (its only 60 years younger than himself at 80). Robin said he was surprised when he found out at Oshkosh that a kit modeled after his plane was now on the market (he did not know who makes it). He also cleared up what has been a bit of confusion on the WACO Classic serial number sequence. The first 36 aircraft were built as YMF Classics (ser #s 1-36), the next few numbers were held in reserve for additional Classics, and starting with Ser # 40 the YMFs became Supers.

Robin suggested that I call WACO Classic and I talked with Joe (at WACO Classic) about getting the strut length measurements. He is also a fellow modeler and I told him about our “little” build thread here, the resurrection of the Pica plans and our efforts to get functional scale gear. He will be calling back with the numbers and I will forward them to Darrell with the pictures. Joe also told me that number 117 was just completed and #118 will be completed and both will be going to Kenya.

Joe also told me that WACO Classic Aircraft has a modelers package (he was unsure of all that was in it, but it does include 3 views and some photos) that goes for about $30.

For those of us that have been studying the Pica Plans as long as I have (a year or so), I have finally noticed a problem with the landing gear as drawn on the plans. Look at the front view and you will notice that the inner struts go from the fuse down to the axel, THIS IS WRONG based on the HAA Paul Matt Drawings of the same plane (NC 14031), the one YMF (NC 14081) I have seen and numerous photos of other YMFs. The inner struts attach to the main strut approximately 2/3s of the way down the main strut, above the oleo section and axel.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Stickbuilder

You are correct about the inner strut placement. But, like most others, I have mounted them at the bottom for all the builds. It looks a little better there, even though it's wrong. I hope that Darrell comes up with a gear set before I am too far along to tear mine out and use his. Otherwise, it will need to wait for the next one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: lazyace

stickbuilder or anyone

there are no punch marks on f5 for the landing gear blocks need placement of gear block from ant ref. point thanks

charlie AMA8916

WACObrotherhood #67
Charlie,

From the bottom of the stringer at F5-B, the bottom of the Landing gear block should be up 5/8" when measured at the center of the stringer. This will allow clearance for the sheeting at the landing gear block ends.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM
old git

John,

Let's hope that they went through. Did you notice the 200 page milestone has been passed?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Thanks for the thread you started, congrats on the statistics, kept me interested for some time. Below is an eBay possibility I noticed.

*NIB* Waco- YMF Biplane Huge R/C plane model balsa kit
Item number: 130164323425

I wish I could get to the Waco Full Size meeting, sadly no chance of that.

Since I haven’t contributed much to this thread which I have really enjoyed reading from the beginning, I thought I would give the Brotherhood a laugh.

I haven’t been out much lately so I decided to take my Waco Tee shirt out for an airing. The weather was fine and calm, a nice change from what had preceded it. I got into the car happily clutching a list of roads etc, can’t follow a map while I’m driving. I was going to The Hop Farm, venue for a decent sized model show. I was wearing my Waco Tee with pride and wondering if, when I got there, anyone would recognise its significance.

Pretty soon I met diversions and roadworks, no surprise to me, I followed a number of diversions and pretty soon I had no idea where I was. I followed what seemed to be a possible road (UK direction signs are a kind of mystery test) and soon it became obvious that I was off the route entirely. At this point I guess I suffered serious brain fade, I followed a road that seemed possible, it had an air of familiarity. I had been driving for over two hours when I realised that I was nearing Croydon – Wallington. I haven’t lived there for over sixty years, it’s probably forty years since I’ve even been there

Wallington is nowhere near the Hop Farm, Wallington is Surrey and the Hop Farm is in Kent. Some days it doesn't do to get out of bed. So I drove home! The only “show” I saw was the “fool” I made of myself.

old git - - - - - aka John L

Waco Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 PM
SuperCub Man

Can't remember if it was Skylarkmark1 or stickbuilder that I told about the hinges. I have found them to be a little stiff for my use as aileron hinges. I pulled the hinge pin (use a vise and electric drill) and it measured .042". I found in the train section of my LHS some .039 brass wire in pkgs. of 10 pieces 12" long. They fit perfectly and the hinge is nice and loose without being sloppy! Also the brass rod/wire won't rust. I have used steel in my nylon hinges for years and I always have to pull them at the beginning of the year and sand and oil them. This will work great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.