Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

TR,

Glad to do it, Darrell stated that for the big 1/3rd scale planes that weigh 40-50 lbs, he normaly uses a 7/8th tube main tube, just a hair under scale and has not had any problems with the gear. So you guys with the big 'uns will be covered, but again, please be patient.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

TR,

Glad to do it, Darrell stated that for the big 1/3rd scale planes that weigh 40-50 lbs, he normaly uses a 7/8th tube main tube, just a hair under scale and has not had any problems with the gear. So you guys with the big 'uns will be covered, but again, please be patient.
John,

Everyone,

A little off topic here, but Dick Watz is building the first two Wendell Hostletter Cessna 195's from Wendell's plans. Dick needs any documentation that is available on this plane. Anyone who has some information on this plane, please send it to me, and I will see that Dick gets it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

John (Howard) probably has a ton of stuff on the 195. There were two at CCA. I only got pics of one, and few of it. Whatever else I can find, I'll send, or link. Three tidbits: Cessna's first all-aluminum airplane, it used a NACA 23012 airfoil instead of the Clark-Y that other Cessna models used, and had free castering main gear to lessen likelihood of ground looping.

Just gotta love those Flash Gordon wheelpants.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59049.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	789188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48834.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	789189  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Stickbuilder

Thanks, Ken. I'm sure that Dick will appreciate these two pic's. I can't wait to see what all John has.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

I have a few pictures of the same Cessna 195 (Maroon over Natural) that Ken has, plus a couple of the other 195 (Dark Red over Red) at the Fly In. I also made arrangements to photograph a nice 195B (Orange over Yellow) NC 9833A this Sunday (28 Oct). He even offered to roll it out of the hanger to do a walk around if it is not raining and take as many pictures as I want.

P1 Ken at work photographing 1948 Cessna 195, N 195DS (I think his first picture above)
P2 1950 Cessna 195A, N 369JJ
P3 1950 Cessna 195B, NC 9833A, the one I will be photographing

I’ll send you a PM.

Name:	Da83339.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	789300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66967.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	789301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98948.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	789302  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Thanks John.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM
BigBoy99

ORIGINAL: khodges

Bernie, I doubt you'll find one like that, but it's easy enough to make one. First, find a nice wood prop about 34 inch diameter; the chord of the longer prop is likely a tad wider than a 32 prop would be. Cut the tips square, bringing the prop down to the required 32" diameter. Sand the prop to bare wood, removing the factory finish, or at least most of it. Using the picture you posted, take measurements of the leading edge cladding and transfer them to the scale prop, pencilling in the shape of the cladding. Then use some metal tape like heating and a/c ducts are taped with and trace the shape onto it, cut it out and apply to the prop. Burnish it down with a piece of dowel or a Sharpie cap, mask and paint the tips, and then clearcoat the entire prop. If you want to try flying the prop, check the balance at every step, and then when you clearcoat it, achieve final balance with the clear coat.
khodges,

thanks to you, that was a goo tip, [sm=thumbup.gif] [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
I will try it

Bernie
Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Stickbuilder

I have, I think , found the solution for the dummy engine. It is kinda-sorta homemade. The crankcase is made from a Mousse can (it has the proper shape), and the cylinder supports on the crankcase are from balsa sheeting. The Cylinders and accessories are from the Top Flite 9 cylinder Pratt and Whitney engine kit in 1/5th scale. The cylinders look more like a Jacobs than a P&W. I will get some pics this evening. I spent last evening roughing it out.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Mr. Lucky

Hello Waco Brotherhood. How do I sign up. I'm a beginner more or less. My dad was a modeler in his youth and eventually graduated to building a full scale Smith Miniplane in our one car garage back in 1959. Senior had my mom paint the cat Mr. Lucky on the tail and that was his moniker for his flying career. He spent the better part of the next ten years barn storming around the great northwest here in Seattle. I have been involved with flight ever since. I was the oldest son so was dragged to the airport from the time I was about 5 years old. The old man would go flying and leave me to wander around the airport and pester all the other guys in the flying club. You see, back in the 50's you could leave your kid unattended and no one would steal him. Maybe I was just a real pest and no one wanted to steal me. I remember a guy named Chuck L. who was in the hangar next to dad he had a P-51 that I spent most of my time around. I have always been in love with the Waco so have spent the better part of the last 2 months looking for a good kit. The reason why I joined the AMA was to build above all else so I would never buy an ARF. I have begun by collecting as much info and drawings as possible. In my search I ran across the thread for this topic.

Wow, this thread is a gold mine for information on building the Waco. I have already collected a wealth of info and have hardly even broken the surface. I figured that I should probably join in and join the Brotherhood if it's acceptable.

Please get back to me if this is an open membership.

Ben Warner
AMA 9037
EAA 5100
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
jagnweiner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bar for admission is set pretty low. They let me in.

Bill will assign you a number next time he gets on and you will be in. Just like magic. Welcome aboard!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mr. Lucky

Hello Waco Brotherhood. How do I sign up. I'm a beginner more or less. My dad was a modeler in his youth and eventually graduated to building a full scale Smith Miniplane in our one car garage back in 1959. Senior had my mom paint the cat Mr. Lucky on the tail and that was his moniker for his flying career. He spent the better part of the next ten years barn storming around the great northwest here in Seattle. I have been involved with flight ever since. I was the oldest son so was dragged to the airport from the time I was about 5 years old. The old man would go flying and leave me to wander around the airport and pester all the other guys in the flying club. You see, back in the 50's you could leave your kid unattended and no one would steal him. Maybe I was just a real pest and no one wanted to steal me. I remember a guy named Chuck L. who was in the hangar next to dad he had a P-51 that I spent most of my time around. I have always been in love with the Waco so have spent the better part of the last 2 months looking for a good kit. The reason why I joined the AMA was to build above all else so I would never buy an ARF. I have begun by collecting as much info and drawings as possible. In my search I ran across the thread for this topic.

Wow, this thread is a gold mine for information on building the Waco. I have already collected a wealth of info and have hardly even broken the surface. I figured that I should probably join in and join the Brotherhood if it's acceptable.

Please get back to me if this is an open membership.

Ben Warner
AMA 9037
EAA 5100
Ben,

Welcome to the Brotherhood. You are Brother #74. If you would care to look at page #200, you will see that the roster has been updated to reflect this. I hope you enjoy the group.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Tony V.

Jim Henley..

Can you show how you made the flying wires, and how you attach them at fuselage and N struts...
I was planning to use the same cord...Will you fly with them, and how bad do they stretch...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr. Lucky

You see, back in the 50's you could leave your kid unattended and no one would steal him.
Or call Social Services, but the stealing thing is truly scary, now. How times have changed, when I was 8 years old, I'd hop on my bike and ride all over town, stay gone all day. I wouldn't let my kids do that under any circumstance today.

Maybe it was because I lived in Mayberry, and had Barney Fife and Andy to protect me (I really DID live there, the real name of the town is Mount Airy, where Andy Griffith is from)

Welcome to Wacomania, Mr. Lucky. I wish my folks had abandoned me at an airport when I was a kid, sometimes.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Yeah, way back in the dark ages (when I was 8 years old) I had a 14' Memphis Belle fishing boat with a 12 horse Buccaneer outboard. We would practically live on the Cumberland river during the warmer months, and our parents did not worry about our safety. We were taught to be self-reliant, and we lived up to the instruction. When I was 11, I would ride my Harley Hummer to Nashville (10 miles away) and get what I needed at Fats McCullouch, Harley-Davidson, and come back home. No one bothered us (Police included) and we were allowed to grow up in a healthy manner, I.E. without being afraid of the Boogey Man (we actually called him the Booger Man). Now the teachers and the Police departments hands are tied by the Department of Children's Service, and the Kids are in charge. God help us.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I have, I think , found the solution for the dummy engine. It is kinda-sorta homemade. The crankcase is made from a Mousse can (it has the proper shape), and the cylinder supports on the crankcase are from balsa sheeting. The Cylinders and accessories are from the Top Flite 9 cylinder Pratt and Whitney engine kit in 1/5th scale. The cylinders look more like a Jacobs than a P&W. I will get some pics this evening. I spent last evening roughing it out.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Okay,
Here are some pictures of the initial stages of the dummy engine. I think that you will agree that the Mousse can gives the correct shape and size for the crankcase. As I said, the cylinders are from the P&W 9 cylinder engine from Top Flite. It is supposed to be 1/5th scale, and it fits well inside the cowl. I need to color sand the assembly, and paint and detail it. I have the pushrods, the ignition wire conduit, and the rocker oil lines figured out, as well as the ignition wiring, and the spark plugs. I need to come up with a data plate, and it will be ready for mounting. Let me know what you think.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Ge94082.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	789715   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44080.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	789716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34306.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	789717  
Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
trlambsr

Bernie
[email protected]

This is PK's email. He made mine. quite a few month ago his wife was very sick but thing should be back to normal by now.
TR
WACO Brotherhood # 69

Name:	Mj24384.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	789718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46174.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	789719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47748.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	789720  
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Jim Henley

Tony,
The silver wire did not photograph real well so I included a shot of the cording I use on my Super Stearman (ARF).
The hooks are what you will find in a fabric shop, get the large ones.
To make the "wires" I made a small loop secured with thread. I place a drop of CA, then when the CA was dry wrapped down 1/2 inch (or so) to look like the rigging. I made small holes for the hooks and after re-shaping them so the cord is easy to slip in and out, I CA'd them to the fuselage and wings in the (approxamate) scale location. I fly my Stearman with the cording I made for it and it works out real well, adds a lot to the looks of the plane in the air. They do not appear to stretch too much, I have been using these on the Stearman for a couple of years.

Name:	Zx70690.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	789741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71166.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	789742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47239.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	789743  
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Stickbuilder

To all:

I just got off the phone with Brad (Stan's Fibertech) about the cowl. He says that he will have the Cowls ready in a few weeks. They will be priced at $57.95. That seems a little steep to me, since he didn't have to develop the plug to make the mold from, but it's his business, so he can charge whatever he wants. I wish that we had researched this a little more before we did this for him. But at least we will have a scale cowl available to us. He indicated that his e-mail was having a problem, and I am to call him again tomorrow (Thursday 10/25/07) night. I'm going to order one or three.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Tony V.

Jim Henley,
Thanks..I thought I saw the wing to the Stearman in your other photos...I also have the Stearman..In the box
two years christmas.....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
SuperCub Man

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

To all:

I just got off the phone with Brad (Stan's Fibertech) about the cowl. He says that he will have the Cowls ready in a few weeks. They will be priced at $57.95. That seems a little steep to me, since he didn't have to develop the plug to make the mold from, but it's his business, so he can charge whatever he wants. I wish that we had researched this a little more before we did this for him. But at least we will have a scale cowl available to us. He indicated that his e-mail was having a problem, and I am to call him again tomorrow (Thursday 10/25/07) night. I'm going to order one or three.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I ordered 3 cowls and 3 sets of wheel pants last week. Good to know things are progressing well. Price is a little high, but considering that this is a special order to our specs., I think that's OK. To get the exact cowl for my model - I'm ecstatic! I also sent a photo of the aircraft I'm modeling and he said his pants are the same - unlike Fiberglass Specialties, which are close. Looking forward to getting them!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Stickbuilder

I think that he could have cut us a little slack, since making the plug is the most time intensive part of production. All he has to do is to make the mold from the plug, and start laying the parts up and pulling them. He can make one every day with only one mold. Seems a tad tall to me too, but they are specific to the Jacobs radial. They will work for other models that use this engine in the same scale too, so he does stand to make a tidy little profit.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I'm just glad I never waited for the scale Cowl [:-] taking awhile, that's for sure. I think we made the right choice, I don't think the polyester resins are as good!

Count me in for a set of scale landing gear, good job!

Jim: flight report?

I enjoyed 3 more flights on my Waco yesterday, best landings ever and the 170 Saito is running flawless!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
SuperCub Man

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

The hooks are what you will find in a fabric shop, get the large ones. ........
I made small holes for the hooks and after re-shaping them so the cord is easy to slip in and out, I CA'd them to the fuselage and wings in the (approxamate) scale location.
Jim That set up looks very nice and practical. I'm not quite sure about some of your explanation. Is this rough drawing approximately what you mean for making the hooks??

Name:	Yw69236.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	790031  
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
skylarkmk1

Here we go again[:@]. RCU just changed the posts per page back to 25 per page. We no longer have 200 plus pages in this thread, its now down to 164. For anyone keeping track of various items in this thread, you will have to reference them by post #, and not the page #. We went through this a few months ago when RCU changed the post count to 20 per page and now we are back to 25/page.#@!!!![>:]
Old 10-25-2007, 03:28 PM
aminiet

There goes my index.

Question. Regarding the ailerons, Were they covered with fabric or aluminum? There is a picture some where here showing rivets at the edges.

The connecting rod moving the upper aileron from the lower aileron, what were they made of? wood ?

Angel
B 58

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.