Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 PM
EMVIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Dave,
the side force generators add stability in low speed manouvers as air flow is redirected and is not flowing off the wing tip. They also help in Knife edge flight. Less rudder input. I now have the QQ 86" and have been using them. I definitly noticed a difference in harriers, and harrier rolls. There are blind nuts already installed under the surface of the wing tip. Go into the QQ86" manual ( its on line) and you will see the pics.

....EMVIN....
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Dave Smith

Thanks Emvin. Sure would have been nice if they had put a current manual with this kit. There are other things that could use some explaining also,and the elevator horns in my kit and in another one locally are not the right shape and/or size.
And wouldn't you know it,I have to shave the ends of both ailerons if I want to use the generators.
However,Reza has offered me a roll of yellow Ultracote.

Dave
Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 AM
sekkenes

dszabo2 !

Thanks for good answer on my case. I will sure remember them when I work on the plane..

Yngve, Norway
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Michaelvg11

CG Question....
I have the Purple 73" Yak...
I flew it a couple dozen times, but I feel I have been fling with too much elevator trim up built in to compensate for being nose heavy. It's been partly my fault because I placed the on board glow battery up front with the Rx battery. I have a Saito 180....
I know QQ goes over the CG in the manual with the wing tips, but he also discusses using a dowl with the canopy off and holding the plane up. The problem is those instructions on his site are not for the 73" purple plane.
Does anyone know the exact measurement from the back wall where the canopy goes in towards the front.

This is where he suggests the CG for the other plane.
See page 9.
Thanks for your help...
http://www.somenzini.com/downloads/m...ak54manual.pdf

PS:
I did move the glow battery under the rudder servo. It seemed to help, but it's not perfect.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
bajaloya

Hi,

Could someone tell me please if this plane comes in one or in two boxes? ...also, is (are) it (them) too big?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Michaelvg11

another question:
Could someone also please tell me what is the correct size for the ball links that came with the kit. Would like to buy a couple extra sets that fit the OEM titanium rods.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
kochj

Well, I will be getting this plane sometime soon.....
I will be using a ZDZ 40F3A engine with a tuned CF pipe (will be doing a mod simular to one done on a EF 74"..)
Will Futaba S3305 High Torque, Metal Gear Servo work for this well,,,,
I will be doing the INset Servo kits that articled in the AMA model aviation Mag this last month....
It should be the bomb.... and give awsome control with finite and large throw for both precision and 3D......
I will do all my planes this way once I have to replace my current hinges.....

By the way , the YS 140 looks great in this plane....

Jusitn
Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Dave Smith

Can anyone tell me with certainty that the paint on the cowl will,or will not, withstand 30% nitro fuel?

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,Dave

Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM
ctnic

Michaelvg11,
I measured my cg today using the dowl method and came up with 14 9/16 inches from the back wall where the canopy goes (or 8 15/16 from the front) on my gen II 73" Yak as flown in this video: http://www.rcuniverse.com/mvp/videolink.cfm?postid=4798. The ball links used are 4-40.

Bajaloya,
The plane is shipped in one box but I do not know the size since I tossed mine after the plane was built.

kochj,
I would not use the S3305 (124oz torque at 6v) in this plane especially if youre going to do 3D/aerobatics. This servo is intended for ground use. The lowest recommended torque for this plane is 130oz but for 3D/Aerobatics and the ZDZ engine I would stick with nothing less than the digital S9155 (192oz torque at 6v) or similar metal gear servo rated for airplanes.

Dave,
I have only used 30% nitro fuel in this plane and have never had any issues with the paint.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Dave Smith

The ball links supplied with my kit are extremely tight,so much so that I am seriously thinking of replacing them. I know this would be a pain for the ones in the double horns,but the friction between the ball and its clevis is extreme.
Maybe after a few flights they would lose some of that friction?

Anyome else concerned about this? This tightness/friction surely would drain the battery faster and might be hard on the servo motor.

Any comments??

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Michaelvg11

Yes I was. They sent me new ones.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Dave Smith

Thanks Michaell,I just now requested a complete new set.

Dave
Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Dave your in the 3D forums - does this mean that your going to the dark side [X(]
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Dave Smith

Only time will tell[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
kochj

Ctnic,
thanks for the advice on the servo's....
Just a bit on those..... I had them in a funtana 100X and would yu believe that after a short bit (perhaps 7-fights) the rudder and 1-elevator servo started to glitch and crap out!....
You were right about those servos, I had them laying around and thought I would try them again..... Perhaps not....

Say that there was CHris? tha had trouble with his perry pump and eventually removed and had no more propblems!
I had mad the mistake of placing one on a O.S 1.20 AX and it caused nothing but trouble for me..... I could not back out the pump far enough for it to stop puting too much fuel in.....
I then tried the Bypass trick and that just made it way toooo Unsensitive....Like 5-turns either way of the HS needle didn't make any difference!..
I took it out and never looked back!.....

I have a theory on that..... Perhaps some of the perry pumps are defective? Not working properly? ANd give you fits just enough to think it is YOu, the end user and not the product, that is a t fault!.....

ANyway, I now the entire thoughts on Leaning out while going verticle, and going lean when getting close to the end of the tank, but I will not put pumps in unless my engines is NOT running well to beginwith, DUe to fuel delivery issues! Then and only then will I attemp a pump......

I will be using mostly gas anyway, unless it is too small of a plane..... I just prefer gas engines..... Les of a hastle Period!
If I didn't have the ZDZ40F3A, I would place a evo26gt gas with a CF tuned pipe on this one and let it loose!.....

Justin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87489.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	883073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73283.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	883074  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
octanehuffer

kochj-
What is the weight of your plane with the ZDZ 40 in it?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 AM
kochj

I have not got my plane yet. It will be in the next couple months..... April?
I will use the 40cc F3A engine.... (weights the same as the evo26GT gas)
I will be using a ES composit TUned pipe though.

I can say that it will come to about 11 and 3quarter pounds is a guess...... (that is what QQ's gen I 73" came in at with a evo26Gt with a stock muffler)

QQ said that it would be about a 1/2 pound more than a Glow set up.....

Will the newest Gen II 73" be lighter? might be.... especially if I use a CF pipe.... But the pipe channel may add back the weight.....

The pict. is of Mauib's EF yak, with a O.S 1.60 FX in it.....

Justin
Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

Does anyone have any issues with the new control horns. Seems like they now have 2 control horns for each surface.
The ones for the elevator do not allow the pushrod clevis to center on the hinge line. Way too far ( about three eights ) forward. Can't drill it because of the angle! Replaced mine ( cut off the kit issue ones) and got new MK horns from Central Hobby. Also the horns for the rudder are so large that when "up" elevator is applied the elevator and rudder hit each other. Going to change that out also.
Can anyone give me a "ball park" balance point from the wing cord at the fues rather than off the wing tip as shown in the booklet?

thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Dave Smith

Tailspins: My elevator horns had the same problem yours does. QQ sent new ones,but that are identical,so I slashed some material of the bottom of the horns and also shortened them. They are now in somewhat of a correct position.

Also it seems these horns are not specifically for this kit. I have seen a couple other kits from different manufactures that have horns identical to the QQ 73" kit.

QQ told me that the Ruddder horns are O.K.,it is the amount of throw in the Manual that is wrong. Cut the throw down so that the ruddder horns and elevators all clear at max control.. If memory serves,he says 45-50 mm is plently on elevators. This after I had already made clearance for the horns.

Also,the clevis on almost each horn set up fits far too tightly,creating a lot of drag in the linkages.

Make certain your aileron servos mount as far forward in the wing as possible.

Dave
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
tailspins

Thanks Dave.

I am in the process of setting up the throttle linkage now. ( using a YS 170 DZ )

Have you flown yours yet?

Could you give me a balance point measured from the LE of the wing at the fues back?

Also found that I have 2 broken stringers on the bottom of the plane just under the far elevator servo. Bummer![:@]

Thanks,
Tailspins
AMA 1121
Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Dave Smith

Haven't flown mine yet,health problems and way two much snow and cold this winter.
QQ did say that balance is very important. I just intend to put the two wings together with wing tube,then running a chalk line or similar from tip to tip at the assigned marks on the tips.
It would be so much easier to know the B.P.in relation to wing tube.

I cracked one bottom stringer,but some pressure and CA fixed it good as new.

I have the YS 140 Sport in mine,a buddy has a 1.60L in his.

Hope to hear some flying results soon.

Dave
Old 03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
tailspins

Yes..QQ did have to make the balance difficult!

Plan to fly mine on April 1. This is the clubs offical fly date for winter projects

I will let you know how it goes.

All our snow in southern Iowa is gone for the time being.Temp is in the 50s now.....Spring is coming my friend.[8D]
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Michaelvg11

If anyone is on this forum, please help...
I have had the QQ yak yellow and purple 73" for almost two years. It still flies great. I just called to get a new cowl and they told me they are all out. They have alsways been pretty good in the customer service department, at least when molly was there, but I was not too thrilled today, plus they don't have anymore cowls. What should I do?
Anyone have a extra purple and yellow cowls lying around?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
tailspins

Sure don"t know where you can find painted ones. I ordered one for my 73 inch (yellow three weeks ago) and got it in 2 days.

Did they give you a date on when the new ones should be in?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Michaelvg11

I just got off the phone with them. They just sold their last one and will not be providing them any longer. The color scheme is a couple years old now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.