Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Nothing wrong with the way you post pictures. Does Ken have a kitchen permit? Oops, that's right....He and Barbie split up a couple of years ago....Guess that's how he can afford a WACO.....She was probably high maintenance.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM
airplanegeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok wow it worked. I had to get my wife's help to resize the photos so they would upload.

This is my progress thus far.

mods:

-firewall beefed up for i hope a saito R170 (i hope)
-landing gear reinforced
-tail wheel/bulkhead mod
-tank box with room below for smoke
baggage switch box - no door yet

My intent this far is to get all framed up then go back and start hitting details. I dont think i have spent more that 20 minutes with sandpaper yet

I am real lucky to have a full scale ymf5 to model (My Dads). It is a "classic".

Chears
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM
skylarkmk1

Ag,

Go to http://www.stormdance.net/ and download PhotoRazor. All you have to do is select the photo or album and the program will do the rest. It even puts the reduced size photos in a seperate folder automaticly.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

I agree with building the assembly as a hatch for ease of maintenence. I would run 2 extensions to the hatch area, one for power to the light and the other for the servo.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

I agree with building the assembly as a hatch for ease of maintenence. I would run 2 extensions to the hatch area, one for power to the light and the other for the servo.
Yep, that is the plan. I have been looking at several sources for the navigation and landing lights. One of the companies claims to have a landing light that is bright enough to see in sunlight. That would be neat. Especially since I don't fly scale models at night.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: airplanegeek

Ok wow it worked. I had to get my wife's help to resize the photos so they would upload.

This is my progress thus far.

mods:

-firewall beefed up for i hope a saito R170 (i hope)
-landing gear reinforced
-tail wheel/bulkhead mod
-tank box with room below for smoke
baggage switch box - no door yet

My intent this far is to get all framed up then go back and start hitting details. I dont think i have spent more that 20 minutes with sandpaper yet

I am real lucky to have a full scale ymf5 to model (My Dads). It is a "classic".

Chears
AG,

If you are going to use the R-170, make sure to have a good glow driver and a decent sized seperate battery for it. They are notorious for losing a cylinder at idle, and landings are not, repeat NOT where you want to lose a cylinder. The OS 160 twin is well known for the same thing.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Going to make a really long story as short as possible. Dug out my Pica WACO kit last night. Hot dog! it is a 1/5 scale and not the 1/6 kit. Been so long (7 years since I boxed everything up for a move to the country)??? Bought it from Tower Hobbies June of 1990 for $146.99. It's a die cut kit. I expect to build my EAA bipe first to get some practice and knock off the rust before diving into the WACO. Do not want to botch up the WACO!!

Bill, Waiting to see how your light turns out. Did you indeed scale up to do a 1/4 scale version of the Pica kit. I have been reading these threads from the beginning toward the current date. Have not gone backwards from Sept of this year to find out.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Going to make a really long story as short as possible. Dug out my Pica WACO kit last night. Hot dog! it is a 1/5 scale and not the 1/6 kit. Been so long (7 years since I boxed everything up for a move to the country)??? Bought it from Tower Hobbies June of 1990 for $146.99. It's a die cut kit. I expect to build my EAA bipe first to get some practice and knock off the rust before diving into the WACO. Do not want to botch up the WACO!!

Bill, Waiting to see how your light turns out. Did you indeed scale up to do a 1/4 scale version of the Pica kit. I have been reading these threads from the beginning toward the current date. Have not gone backwards from Sept of this year to find out.
Rick,

Short answer: Yes (but with some qualifications) I won't scale everything up automatically. There is no reason for some of the parts to have a cross section that thick (ribs, formers etc.) I won't even consider cutting the first piece until I'm finished with the current project. That one may take a while, with all the modifications. These modifications, if successful will be incorporated in the larger one. If they prove to be marginal, or unsuccessful, they will not. Often though, a modification will work better on a larger model than on one that is smaller (can you imagine a variable incidence H-stab on a .40 size model?). There are other considerations as well. I will need to address the Cowl, wheel pants, landing gear etc. It won't be as simple as it sounds, and this model will probably need something like an O.S. 300 twin, or a 50cc gas engine to have any respectable performance. Also the servo's and all related gear will need to be up-sized, so this will be an expensive model to complete. Seems as the size of the model increases in a linear fashion, the cost factor increases expotentionally.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Stickbuilder

On that same subject, I will probably model the 1/4 scale as the new WACO Classic. The size will lend itself to much more detailing, and I think that it would be easier to replicate some of the more modern things that are on the new version.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I agree with Bill's recommendation however, I am running the 170 3 cylinder on my YMF and I have my onboard glow mixing down to 10% on the throttle stick. My 170 is running sweet, wouldn't swap it for the world

Save me from going back Bill:
Who do I contact with interest for the scale landing gear? Have you heard anymore on it?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I agree with Bill's recommendation however, I am running the 170 3 cylinder on my YMF and I have my onboard glow mixing down to 10% on the throttle stick. My 170 is running sweet, wouldn't swap it for the world

Save me from going back Bill:
Who do I contact with interest for the scale landing gear? Have you heard anymore on it?
Contact Darrell at Sierra Giant Scale. Pm me your phone number, and I will call you with the information. He is currently building the pre-production prototype, and it will be tested for applicability. and fitment. as I said, I'm not going to post his phone number here in the open forum, but pm me with your number. I want to talk with you anyway.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Working on the Cowl today. Still have to clear coat it, otherwise it's done (well, I do need to mount the dummy engine too).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56350.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	805742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91333.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	805743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97594.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	805744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22497.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	805745  
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM
FMBB

Hi Bill,
great looking cowling and a nice colour schema too. How did you simulate the cowl's locks on it's side? Nice dummy enging I hope it will survive engine vibrations.

FMBB

Thanks for asking me to become a member of Waco brotherhood but as I am not retired yet I have to work in my main business and in addition I have to manufacture Waco kits for my customers who do not like long lead times. I have not always time to have a look in the thread and I do not know if all the brothers would like to wait for my answers for weeks. So I would prefer to jump in from time to time to look what's going on and give a hint if I can and take some information from all the brothers and there solutions in building a Waco.

Peter
Old 11-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: FMBB

Hi Bill,
great looking cowling and a nice colour schema too. How did you simulate the cowl's locks on it's side? Nice dummy enging I hope it will survive engine vibrations.

FMBB

Thanks for asking me to become a member of Waco brotherhood but as I am not retired yet I have to work in my main business and in addition I have to manufacture Waco kits for my customers who do not like long lead times. I have not always time to have a look in the thread and I do not know if all the brothers would like to wait for my answers for weeks. So I would prefer to jump in from time to time to look what's going on and give a hint if I can and take some information from all the brothers and there solutions in building a Waco.

Peter
Peter,

There are brothers that we never hear from. I am sure that everyone here would wait for a year to see what you had to say. We would really love to have you for a Brother.

I drilled small holes in the cowl. I took some pieces of aluminum and cut them out with a pair of shears to replicate the locks, and bent them at a 90 degree angle. I glued them into place with medium CA glue, then I touched a drop of CA with a toothpick and made the bolt heads by dropping a tiny drop of the medium CA onto the cowl locks. Seems to work well. Here is a pic of the locks before painting.

The dummy engine still must have the lite plywood foundation made and attached to the engine. It will then screw mount to a set of blocks glued into the cowl. I want to be able to remove the dummy engine, if it should prove that I need more cooling air to the zenoah. That way, I can remove the dummy engine, and make the cooling area larger, or smaller as is required.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Zx71742.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	805815  
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Stickbuilder

By the way, this is one of the ABS cowls that came with the Pica Kits. The blisters are cut and glued to the cowl, and the radius for the transition is from auto body putty (polyester). This is, I hope the last one of these that I have to build, since Stan's should be about complete with the ready made jobs.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
damifino

Hi all, received word today that the cowl from Stan's Aerofibertech will be shipped to me this coming week. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it. I think be it'll be a 'must have' if you are doing the 1/5th scale WACO, a Cessna 195, etc. Jay
Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

PM sent with phone number!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
skylarkmk1

Jay,

The new cowls will be great for the Pica or any 1/5th size Wacos. Unfortunately, the profile is not correct for the Cessna 195, the bumps are shorter and higher in comparision.

P1 Cowl on a 1987 Waco YMF Classic, NC 14081.
P2 Cowl on a 1950 Cessna 195 A/B N 9833A (engine is for a B model on a A model airframe from the factory)

Name:	Sq48115.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	805996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66601.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	805997  
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Yeah, Oops, I see that you are a furriner, and I think I'll just PM you with the info.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Jim Henley

Greetings to the brotherhood from Omaha NE. I am pleased to announce that the 1/5 scale Pica WACO that has been in the works for a year got it's maiden voyage today. The airplane is just beautiful in the air and flys quite nicely. However a bumpy landing has resulted in some minor damage that must be delt with before I can fly it again. To those who may be wondering, the Saito 150 does a great job pulling the aircraft, even with a fairly rich high speed needle setting.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:31 PM
damifino

Jay,

The new cowls will be great for the Pica or any 1/5th size Wacos. Unfortunately, the profile is not correct for the Cessna 195, the bumps are shorter and higher in comparision.

Thanks Skylark, just going on info someone passed to me! Sure is nice having a bonafied expert around......, Jay
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: damifino

Jay,

Thanks Skylark, just going on info someone passed to me! Sure is nice having a bonafied expert around......, Jay
I think that I was the guilty party there....Sorry bout that.[:@]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 11:21 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

BILL,
VERY NICE JOB ON THAT COWL, I'M PATIENTLY WAITING TO SEE WHAT STAN'S ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE.

GEORGE
WACO Brotherhood #5
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
skylarkmk1

Jim,

Congrat's on your first flight. Get the repairs made and get her back in the air. Maybe Bill or Ken can give you a few tips to smooth out the landings
Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 PM
skylarkmk1

Jay,

I wouldn't call myself a bonified expert, just a guy who is familar with both planes (and a "few" others). I have about 200 pictures of each and comparing the cowl shots, the differences are noticable. Longer portion of the cowl infront of the bumps on the Cessna, the radius is different and the front opening is different (smaller).

P1 Shows how the rocker arms fit into the cowl bumps on the Cessna 195 (looking up into the cowl)

Name:	Om32316.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	806123  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.