Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Too cold to fly ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
rsiaviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too cold to fly ???

Hello,
The other day I took my GP corsair ep out to the field to fly and the motor would not start. I brought it back home and let it warm up in my room. I was able to make it run while in my room and then used that battery pack to fly my Trex. A couple days later I took my Gp Sportster ep out to the field and the same thing happened. I brought it home, and once again it started up while in my room. I was wondering whether electronics don't work below a certain temperature.

Thanks
Rsiaviation
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Too cold to fly ???

Li polys? They don't like to be cold.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Fisher

I fly at sub-freezing temps all the time with no problems. I just keep the battery in my pocket until I am ready to launch. It may be a condensation issue causing an electronics short. But putting a voltage meter on the battery when the motor will not run will tell you real quick.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Fisher

I fly at sub-freezing temps all the time with no problems. I just keep the battery in my pocket until I am ready to launch. It may be a condensation issue causing an electronics short. But putting a voltage meter on the battery when the motor will not run will tell you real quick.
Yep just like the old fogged up eyeglasses. Big change in temp and humidity can cause all kinds of conditions to pop up.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
patnchris

I had 3 Hitec RX's that refused to communicate when the temp dropped below 40 degrees.....Hitec has them, now, and I'm waiting for an answer from them.....
All my other RX's work perfectly....Pat
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Was reading a long article on li-po batteries last night that warned not to use or store them below 32 degrees. ENJOY
Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM
rsiaviation

Well I was able to fly my Trex yesterday, I believe the temperature was below 32F. So i will have to try keeping the battery warm before i fly. Also could some one elaborate on why Lipos should not be used below 32F.

Thanks
Rsiaviation
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Fisher

LiPo batteries are like any other battery they rely on a chemical reaction to convert potential energy into electrical energy (I think I am getting my terms correct here). At low temps the chemical conversion is slowed. At low enough temps the chemical reaction is slowed enough that the voltage output drops enough to trigger the low voltage cutoff of your ESC. It will not hurt your battery to use it a cold temps as long as you do not leave it out for a long time in very cold conditions. Once you start drawing power from the battery it will warm up some on its own and solve the temp problem. Just like over heating in the summer you can over cool in the winter so plug the vent holes if any to retain heat rather than dissipate it.

The all electric drag cycle being run around the country gets its battery warmed up to over 100 degrees before a high speed run to make sure energy flow is at maximum from the start.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
soarhead-RCU

I was out this morning and flew. It was 27* and calm and grey skies. I have found as stated above you keep your lipos warm on the way to the field and fly your plane like you "stole it" for the first several minutes to get the battery temp up. If I am going to stay at the field for a while I wrap up my Lipos in one of those heating pads that you put in the micro-wave and nuke for a minute (without the lipos of course) and stuff them in a 6 pak cooler. Will keep them warm for hours. Wish I had the solution for cold fingers though, I use light cotton gloves or latex gloves or both but with this hi-tech world you would think they would have something better, Any ideas out there?????? I also have a RX (Airtronics) that the throttle channel will not work or is erratic at below 35* or so, probably a bad solder joint someplace on the board............

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
rsiaviation

Thanks for the information, it makes sense. I was able to fly my helicopters in the backyard with the cold temperatures. Well I'm off to charge the battery for my corsair.

Rsiaviation