Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Whats needed to make revo race ready

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
fishingnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats needed to make revo race ready

Hi all, I'm going to buy a revo 3.3 (either new or ebay) and I would like to know, without breaking the bank, what is needed to make it a racer. I'm willing to put about $250 in to it, and would like to run the 3.3 engine. I'm a middle of the road racer so durability should be considered also. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Muggy250r

Default RE: Whats needed to make revo race ready

this is what u need to make a revo race ready....... [sm=punching.gif]

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
enigmamdw

for 250 more than the revo just go get a muggy/truggy instead. You'll put about $1000 into it before you know it with the revo most truggys are race ready out of the box.

This coming from a revo racer...I love it but it's expensive to do it.

I'm getting a truggy soon too. [>:]
Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Muggy250r

told ya
Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
fishingnut

My son races in the truggy class, I'm looking into the monster truck class so we will be able to pit for each other
Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Muggy250r

thats cool... seriously check out a muggy or lst2 tho...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Jerzferno

If you want to do fairly well, and assuming you can drive well (that'll come with practice if you cant?), you can start with these few items to improve an already great racing "Monster Truck".
1. Hump Pack
2. See what kind of tires are hot at your track and purchase a set
3. Single steering servo conversion with high torque servo
4. FOC (Forward Only Control)
5. Center diff with rear brake conversion.
6. Wing mount and wing
(If you do 4 and / or 5, do them together. This way you only have to open the transmission one time)

You will see a great improvement over a stock truck with these mods. No need to get a new chassis, racing shocks, go crazy making it lighter, carbon fiber this, titanium that, etc, etc., etc.,....................for now. These few mods will do wonders for you. Then you can take it from there on what you want to modify? Its all up to your imagination................and wallet.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Muggy250r

wen i had my revo i had a 2.5r chassis with a 3.3 in it with a FOC, close ratio tranny gears, and a bunch of other little things , but i still didnt like it
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Jerzferno

Muggy250R. Do you race?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
fishingnut

Thanks jersferno, I already have servos, hump pack so the rest is no problem. A lot of the ebay revos have the trany items already. Thanks again. I would love to run the truggy, which I have and loved it but it would be easier when it comes to pitting for each other.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
infernalstone

Get some form of starting system. The EZ Start is a lot of weight. Either a roto start, or if you're feeling really fancy, a bump start.

When you break parts, see if RPM makes replacements for that piece of plastic. You won't be replacing it again.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Jerzferno

I know what you mean fishingnut. My brother-in-law and I both purchased Monster Trucks at the same time, me T-MAXX, him REVO. We couldnt race without bothering someone to pit for us. Since the T-MAXX really isnt a good racer, best I could do against REVOs was 5th in the A main, I moved to 1/8th scale buggy. He and I can now pit for each other. Its great to have someone you know to pit for you and you for him consistently. I am going to race a 3rd and 4th class (between the 2 of us) in addition to buggy, so he will be pitting for me 3 times each race day. I wonder if he realizes that? LOL Im gonna owe him big time.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

Muggy250R. Do you race?
yup
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
snoking16

RPM only makes axel carriers, a arms and bumpers for the revo. but i would do the axle carriers and a arms for sure. take the easy start out and do a bump start or roto start, it saves a bit of weight. the single steering servo is great.
this will help with some set up stuff and different things you will run accross with making your revo race ready.
[link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/trx_revo_resources.htm]CLICK ME!!![/link]
Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM
spikeitaudi

Jerzferno, Muggy250r is the guy we race with at Dirtrunners. Him and his friend come up with his dad. His buddy races the Hellfire.

Fishingnut, to get your revo race ready, just lighten her up as much as you can and get some RPM arms all around, dish wheels, and some new tires (stock don't cut it). If you can get a digital radio like a spektrum with EPA that is very helpful. Stock servo's are ok at best. Would upgrade if you could as well. But, stock the most important thing to change is more likely tires and wheels. Then just get use to driving it. The more you drive the better you are. After you get better as Jerzferno reccomended go Center diff, single servo conversion, and a 1600MA pack. PM me if you want more details.

Jerzferno, I do realize how much you will own me but I think we are even considering the pit tips and help

Muggy250r, Lets see if you muggy can beat my revo next year. Remember I will either have a new os18tm or os21tm in it.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Muggy250r

bring it on lol ill have a lrp spec 3 by then
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
spikeitaudi

FYi... If you get the center diff make sure you get the rear brake kit also so your rear wheels will stop.

Shave off the bumper stops on the steering brace
New Tires and Rims
RPM arm all around
Center Diff
Rear Brake
Stronger Throttle/Brake Servo
Single Servo Convertion for steering
Tekno battery and reciever box convertion
New Radio like Spektrum or Futaba with DSS
Change gearing with spur and gear depending on track

That a good list to start with.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM
spikeitaudi

ORIGINAL: Muggy250r

bring it on lol ill have a lrp spec 3 by then
So I will have to race you in open and smack you around
Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Muggy250r

lol sounds like it will be a good time...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
fishingnut

Thanks for all the help guys, a lot of guys at the track race revos but I havn't had a chance to pick their brains. It's great to have a site like RCU to ask questions and get all the good feed back. Thanks again. Do you guys from Jersey race at Wolcott hobbies in CT? Thats where we do most of our racing.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Jerzferno

Oh yeah I remember him. Muggy, you're not thee that much though right? You gotta get out there more. Fishingnut, I would love to get to your track someday. Spikeit and I are always talking about getting to new tracks. Who knows, maybe well race together someday? Muggy, my money's on Spikeit.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 PM
xtreme_ntc3

In addition to the above:

If you want to do fairly well, and assuming you can drive well (that'll come with practice if you cant?), you can start with these few items to improve an already great racing "Monster Truck".
1. Hump Pack
2. See what kind of tires are hot at your track and purchase a set
3. Single steering servo conversion with high torque servo
4. FOC (Forward Only Control)
5. Center diff with rear brake conversion.
6. Wing mount and wing
(If you do 4 and / or 5, do them together. This way you only have to open the transmission one time)

You will see a great improvement over a stock truck with these mods. No need to get a new chassis, racing shocks, go crazy making it lighter, carbon fiber this, titanium that, etc, etc., etc.,....................for now. These few mods will do wonders for you. Then you can take it from there on what you want to modify? Its all up to your imagination................and wallet.

1) And, if you decide to go with the center diff, just remember to change the center diff's oil for at least 300,000wt. I know some that loved it but I strongly advice to get 500,000 (it makes a BIG difference).. Look at it at Kyosho's web site. Honestly, it is one of the best upgrades I've made.

2) The single steering servo is another thing to do. Check Hitec's HS-5955TG servo.

3) A bigger fuel tank would be a great upgrade (but make sure to check your local track regulations about this one before buying).

4) Get a wing.

5) A good set of tires and wheels.

6) Some good arms like RPM or Tekno's

7) Shocks, oil and springs upgrade

Basically, you are going to need a good amount of money (around $300) to make it strong enough to hold together for an entire a race.. But that is something you will be able to do with some research, a lot of patience and of course, $$$$. But you what, it is worth it! I dont't regret it at all!!!!!!....... Good luck
Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Muggy250r

Oh yeah I remember him. Muggy, you're not thee that much though right? You gotta get out there more. Fishingnut, I would love to get to your track someday. Spikeit and I are always talking about getting to new tracks. Who knows, maybe well race together someday? Muggy, my money's on Spikeit.

lol yeah im not there that much.... but idk my muggy is going ot haul with the spec 3
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
infernalstone

ORIGINAL: xtreme_ntc3
Basically, you are going to need a good amount of money (around $300) to make it strong enough to hold together for an entire a race.. But that is something you will be able to do with some research, a lot of patience and of course, $$$$. But you what, it is worth it! I dont't regret it at all!!!!!!....... Good luck
This I have to disagree with. After a whole season of racing, as far as parts failing, here's the list of what I've replaced:

Front A arms. One cracked, so I just replaced the upper and lower.
Rocker pins. They all bent. Went to a titanium design that threads a nut on, instead of threading a screw into a pivot... I mean really, who's bone head idea was that.

But really, on the list the only things that are really needed for racing is:

Tires

Seriously. That's about it. You can race fine with everything else. Would I do FOC and get rid of the easy start? Yes. That's just extra weight and crap that you don't need. (And there are the nasty rumors about the optidrive, but I kept mine about a week) Center diff and brake kit is probably nice. I raced with out one, and was pretty competitive. The hump pack... eh, not needed, but the stock is kind of lame, and it does suck to have it give up the ghost mid race day. Wings....well.. That's a personal driving preference. One of hte faster guys at our track races with out a wing. And there was a debate about the handling loss of the wing. (Under power, it shoves the back end down, and takes some weight off the front wheels) But it comes down to driving style. And the revo has enough air control that it's not needed. I personally don't use them, cause I like my truck to look like a truck. :P