Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

I have built two of the Pusher Bobcats with a MW44 on them. The first bit the dust but second is almost ready to fly. What I would like to know is how everyone is attaching the canopy?

I also have an extra MW54. I am thinking of building the Falcon so I will need to modify the canopy on it also.

Thanks for any help or any pictures.

Hal
Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

check out this video from page 10. Also read through the thread there are a couple of ideas with pictures on the canopy

http://media.putfile.com/Two-Bobcats-over-England
Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: BiGToP

I don't know why you al bother with these engines mounts as the two blocks of wood that come with the kit are fine!
But if you have got loads of money and time to spend on it then that's fine I suppose!
Im only saying this in case those of you out there think that you have to make/but these brackets are unaware that the supplied mounts are not good enough.
BigTop---Yes, the supplied mounts will work fine if using two stroke prop engine on this model---But you are mistaken if you think that the supplied mounts will work with a turbine...They are not high enough, hence the need for a new mount for turbine use...

Kevin

Well---I guess that I have to eat my words---I didn't think about using the stock wooden motor mount blocks mounted vertically--After seeing the video that Mugenkidd posted I see that the stock blocks can be used...

Kevin
Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 AM
john330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how I can get one of these planes in Hong Kong?Seems a shame if it has to be shipped from the U.K. or the USA since it's probably built near here.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
BUCKAROO

John they are made by Fly-Model in Taiwan.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: john330

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how I can get one of these planes in Hong Kong?Seems a shame if it has to be shipped from the U.K. or the USA since it's probably built near here.

take the train to guangdong ask for mr onehunglow
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Grodus

This question may have been answered somewhere in this thread so my apologies it it is a repeat. In regards to the c.g. of 330mm or 13 inches. I'm unclear on the exact reference point. On my aircraft, the leading edge of the wing at the root is about 3/8" aft of the leading edge of the root rib on the fuse. Are you guys measuring from the root of the wing or the fuse?

Thanks,

Cody
Old 12-13-2007, 02:02 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's strange. On mine they line up perfectly. Sounds like your wing tube hole was not drilled in the proper location. In your case I would recommend measuring from the wing leading edge root.

Joe
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Grodus

Joe, I bet you are right. Granted I have a trailing link strut on the nose which is heavier than the wire gear most are using, but I still found it odd that I had to place both the ECU and RX batteries in the area of the main wing tube to balance the plane with an empty UAT and a super bee installed.
So, I get to fly my first tubine with the wing in the wrong position, this ought to be fun.

Cody
Old 12-13-2007, 06:04 PM
joeflyer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cody,

3/8" won't make much difference. You might want to err a bit towards nose heavy for the fist flight, then adjust from there. Good luck with your maiden. The plane flies like a trainer and is a real *****cat.

Joe
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
BiGToP

I don't know why you al bother with these engines mounts as the two blocks of wood that come with the kit are fine!
But if you have got loads of money and time to spend on it then that's fine I suppose!
Im only saying this in case those of you out there think that you have to make/but these brackets are unaware that the supplied mounts are not good enough.
BigTop---Yes, the supplied mounts will work fine if using two stroke prop engine on this model---But you are mistaken if you think that the supplied mounts will work with a turbine...They are not high enough, hence the need for a new mount for turbine use...

Kevin
I use them on mine and I'm using a Wren 44 gold. Not a big turbine...but it's still a turbine. And my friend uses them with his Wren 54! Check out the video and notice the wooden blocks lol http://media.putfile.com/Falcon-120-Wren-54
Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Kevin Greene

Kevin
I use them on mine and I'm using a Wren 44 gold. Not a big turbine...but it's still a turbine. And my friend uses them with his Wren 54! Check out the video and notice the wooden blocks lol http://media.putfile.com/Falcon-120-Wren-54

BigTop---Did you not see the post where I corrected myself and gave you proper credit as I did stick my foot in my mouth???!!!---The video is where I saw the mounts positioned vertically and was made aware of my mistake...[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Kevin
Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 PM
BiGToP

Kevin

BigTop---Did you not see the post where I corrected myself and gave you proper credit as I did stick my foot in my mouth???!!!---The video is where I saw the mounts positioned vertically and was made aware of my mistake...[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Yeah, I only noticed after I'd sent that one sorry! All good fun though

Regards

BiGToP
Old 12-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Kevin Greene

BigTop---No harm...No foul...[8D]...Now, if I could only find time to work on my plane instead of other guys planes that the hobby shop farmed out the work to me...[:@]

Kevin
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 AM
zadstar

Hi all,
I am new bee in turbine jets. I have already got a falcon 120. I am about to buy a turbine and I am thinking of JetCat P80, I know this is too much for falcon, but I am thinking if it survives the training it would be a good turbine for bigger planes. You advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...
Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 AM
mugenkidd

i would say no, the extra weight would put more strain on the airframe and landing gear, not only that but the stall speed will increase with the excess weight making the plane much harder to fly.... as well the flight time will decrease do to higher fuel usage. This is a very light built plane, that was designed for pusher prop use, IMHO the worse thing you could do is put an oversized turbine on an airframe like this.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. I am slowly acquiring all the necessary stuff for my first jet. I am in no hurry....

I have the opportunity to buy a falcon 120 from a friend pretty cheap, but the way I am wanting to go after the trainer jet will utilize a 18-21lbs thrust engine. So I need to decide whether to get this plane and stay with the 14-18lb range or move up and get something like the Elan...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 AM
zadstar

Thanks for your advise mugenkidd, that is what I was afraid of, Elan is really a good choice for P80 but I cant afford it yet, so I guess I need to look into P60 or P70. The thing is that they are all priced the same. It is so tempting to go for bigger turbine at the same price, but that is not too logical...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 AM
mugenkidd

there are other turbines you could go for that are cheaper. Modellbau-usa has the T-500 for $2000, robart offers the funsonic turbines for $2200, and altecare has the behotec turbines for around $2300. you can also get the kit version of the wren turbines under the $2500 mark also. And when you get tired of the plane/turbine list it here on RCU.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 AM
patzane

does anyone have video of this model with a glow. I have the younger brother to this with a 75. This has become a plane I fly daily just to rip around the sky. So I like to know what the speed difference would be on this plane with OS 160 compared to the 50 size with my 75.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 PM
NightSwan

Couldn't resist, just had to order one.
Got one from germany (modellbau pollack) together with a simple set of retracts..
A JJ1400 is going to fly it.. I hope.. (ordered that two days ago... all of a sudden it was in my basket. I swear I don't remember how it got there )

Should be fun, my first turbine.

Got a pile of HS635's lying around. Do you guys think I can use these for ailerons/flaps?

Should be a pretty straightforward fun project!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM
tim777jet

Found this, for you guys with piston engines

Bob cat 50

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-50
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
TURBINATOR

ORIGINAL: NightSwan

Couldn't resist, just had to order one.
Got one from germany (modellbau pollack) together with a simple set of retracts..
A JJ1400 is going to fly it.. I hope.. (ordered that two days ago... all of a sudden it was in my basket. I swear I don't remember how it got there )

Should be fun, my first turbine.

Got a pile of HS635's lying around. Do you guys think I can use these for ailerons/flaps?

Should be a pretty straightforward fun project!
Hey NightSwan,

I couldn't resist either. Mine is due to be delivered today. Putting a Jetcat P-60 in her. Also, my first turbine. It will also be our club's first turbine to fly at our field. The anticipation is high indeed!

Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 12:07 PM
BiGToP

Hi guys

Just want to wish you all a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Regards
Ron (BiGToP)
Old 12-25-2007, 02:00 PM
mnsi

Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays to all. Just got my 120 under the christmas tree with a PST 600. What retract series would you guys recomend, the 530 or the 630 Robarts for this plane? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I also found a site that builds custom Kevlar tanks for $100.00 so I am doing a Cad drawing and getting it made, they told me after mine was made anyone that wants one, would be no problem getting them. I will keep you posted.

Thanks, Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.