Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode 1 Flyers, UNITE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:28 PM
aerowiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mode 1 Flyers, UNITE!!

well what a crack up,

so far weve seen that apparently a flute,computer joystick, full size aircraft and helicopters have a bearing on what mode is best for everyone.

"mode 1 flyers unite" is the title of this thread. why is it that mode 2 3 4 flyers have to chime in with anything?

Well i am a mode one flyer for aircraft. i am standing united with my mode 1 bretheren!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loose, you win, Dick! Being arrogant is fine; but, defensive is not? I agree with the question, since you fly a different mode, why do you feel the need to chime in, here? I have yet to see any real benefit you have brought to the conversation! Having started the thread, but having no control over it; or, who may post here, I'm going to ask you nicely to simply leave. Thank you and Seasons Greetings.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One

If you fly MODE 1, do you feel alone? Hey, there are plenty of us out there, we may just be fewer and farther between now-a-days. However, I'd like to hear from you. Lets get into why we fly mode 1 and what we feel is better about it and where the pockets of MODE 1 flyers are located.

When I started out, in 1975, MODE 1 was what the greatest amount of flyers in my club flew (TCRC in the Twin Cities, MN). It became apparent that MODE 1 was the easiest way to go to the field and get good help. Some guys stuck with MODE 2 and god love'm they're tenacity got them through! At this time the greatest flyer in the world (Hanno Prettner of Liechtenstien) flew MODE 1. I think there is a strong contingency of MODE 1 flyers in Europe.

MODE 1 has many benifits, can you name a few?

For people starting out, the MODE2 guys will tell them that MODE 2 is more like flying a real airplane. I think this statement is over rated. Not many planes fly with "Joy Sticks" anymore so although somewhat true the reality is most planes fly with a yoke now. Flying a model and flying a real airplane are differant endeavors, anyway.

So, what do you have to say about this. Yea, I'm sure some MODE 2 guys will chime in and that's fine!
Iam embarrassed to note that I responded as you had asked for in your original post-- Did not mean to upset your applecart --
Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Mode One

This thread was started over two years ago. It seems to me it has pretty much run it's course. My intentions in starting it was to open communications between other Mode One fliers. The thread was maybe only slightly successful in this endeavor. I was hoping to get a feel for how many of us Mode One guys were left out there. It would seem there are not very many! However, it did demonstrate there are other Modes besides Mode One and Two being used, which I have found very interesting!

However, it has been extremely disappointing to me that people continuously want to get into the age old argument about which Mode is better! It appears this just can't be left alone! Some can jokingly approach the subject and others are dead serious about it to the point of putting down the other side! To those of you of this bent I say GROW UP!

I think I can see the writing on the wall, in another generation Mode One will likely disappear from the R/C scene, at least in the United States. I'm staying right here, as this is how I was taught.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 AM
super7rc
My Feedback: (6)

I think your thread is a good idea because we do need to share information with each other lets keep it going and see what everybody is using along with setups and programming. I am using a 9Zap for my main transmitter and use light springs with no ratchet and a neck strap. I just bought a used 9Zap on RCU it was mode 2 so I bought a UltraPac 2 from Spartan RC so I could reset and calibrate the sticks to factory settings. I called Hobby Services and there tech sent me all the parts I needed they do not post the parts on the web so they have to look them up,I needed a backup battery and new graphics for the touch panel switches they mailed the parts the same day.

Now it is a mode 1 heli, because I did a true mode change and removed the SMD resistor, Spartan RC sent me at no charge a 18k SMD resistor so I can make it a mode 1 airplane if I want to. Also I have flown my helicopter mode 1 and have to say after 5 flights I am ready to set it up for 3d. The the RealFlight sim is the trick because one year ago I could not hover or fly mode 1 because my mode 2 reflexes were to good and I would dumb thumb the thing in. I might be one of the only guys flying helicopters mode 1 in Minnesota!

Prior to converting the 9 Zap I did copy some of my airplane programs from my mode1 transmitter and the programs worked perfect on the mode 2 transmitter I did not have to make any software changes so I am going to try someones mode2 9 Zhp helicopter program in my mode1Zap and see if it works.

Also E-Flite has some nice ready to fly Blade helicopters with radios but the transmitters are mode2 so if anyone has converted one tell us what you did. It would be nice to buy some of the ready to fly products if we could do our own mode changes. The RealFlight G3.5 was easy to change from mode2 to mode1 just spring and ratchet. The 9 Zap was a lot of work and research to do it right.

One day I met a man from Japan when he visited my club, He could not speak English but when he noticed that I flew mode1 I handed him the transmitter in mid flight and he flew my plane for a few minutes and handed the transmitter back to me he was very happy and I was to.

Thanks again Mode One for the thread!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
DLK

Well you can see by my Avatar what I am. Michigan License plate. Had that for many years already. Yes I know it dates me<G>.

We actually have a good time in our club with the Mode thing. Less of us around every year - dying off.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well maybe your thread did something. Not to long ago, Tower charged $100 extra for Mode 1. Now they carry the 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ in Mode 1 at the same price.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
llamedos

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

In England nose picking is less common likely due to the right side driving position---
Haa!! Guess you've never been to our side of the pond then, we just plan ahead and open the window first.

I fly mode 1 but when picking nose I steer using the rudder.

It's a North South thing over here, In God's own county of West Yorkshire we are mainly using Mode 1 but the southern softies fly mode 2, trouble is there are more of them than us, but we are still better fliers.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
super7rc
My Feedback: (6)

I could have sent my 9Zap mode2 to Hobby Services for a mode change for a modest price of $30.00 so if you see a deal on a mode2 transmitter call the service center for any major brand and ask them what they charge I have a JR PCM 10 and was told it is a pain to change over but it could be done, I did not ask how much it would cost. The nice thing about the 9Zap is all of the switches can be changed with software programming so if I want to have a 2 position or 3 position switch located in different places or make a 2 to 3 position it is painless. You have to get into the service menu to make the change. Be sure to let the service company know how you want your switches.

Also find out how many versions of your model have been made, the 9Zap has 3 versions with different processors and programming so newer models will accept programs from older models but programs from the newer ones might not work with older versions.

It is nice to know when one of your mode2 friends wants to sell his transmitter you can buy it and have it changed over,the 9Zap is mode 1 friendly and I am sure there are many more that we could add to the list.

It makes sense to look at the options because if you buy a mode1 transmitter and want to sell it you just send it in for a mode change and then sell it as a mode 2 since the majority of the flyers use that mode it would be easier to sell.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Mode One

My last change over was an Airtronics RD6000. It cost $20.00. The previous one was an Airtronics VG6000 and the change over was free at that time (Summer 2005).

Ultimately, it would be extremely stupid for a manufacture to not consider that their product would end up being used by Mode 1,2,3 & 4 users! Europe and Japan are heavy users of Mode One, so allowing for conversion has to be considered as sound marketing! If your chosen manufacturer seems to not be considering your mode, I would find another manufacturer to deal with. Lets face it, the difference between all four of the top four manufacturers is pretty minuscule when it comes to quality, dependability and ease of use.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One

So, Dick, are you the Dick Hanson that has written for many of the R/C magazines?
Yes he is, and the designer of many successful RC designs including the most popular “pattern†aircraft ever flown in competition, the “Tiporareâ€. There is a lot to be learned from Dick so when he speaks or gives an opinion it is worthwhile to pay attention. I own a Tiporare and find it to be a fantastic rocket machine to fly.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Mode One

Good, I'm glad someone has clarified which Dick Hanson he is! I have no problem respecting, or even being in awe the things he has accomplished! Certainly the "Tipo" was "THE" pattern ship of the time and since it would seem pattern has lost favor to IMAC type flying, maybe the "Tipo" is still the premier pattern ship of all time!

There are 8 pages of posts on this thread, this means that Mode Two fliers have been making wise cracks for 8 pages and I've grown tired of it! At least I'm just defensive and haven't gone ballistic over it! Dick was as good at making snide remarks as anyone (Mood One Fliers) as one example.

So something to keep in mind: For every one crappy Mode One flier out there, there are probably 250/1000 crappy Mode Two fliers.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey mode one,

I wouldn't call Somenzini a crappy mode one flier ,
Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Mode One

I'm not calling Quique a crappy flyer, far from it, he is likely the best R/C flyer in the world! The statement at the end of my last post was somewhat of a joke. In the United States, there are more good Mode Two fliers then there are good Mode One fliers, simply because there are more Mode Two fliers. Therefore, it stands to reason there are far more crappy Mode Two flyers then there are crappy Mode One fliers! i really didn't think I was going to have to explain this to anyone.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't worry , I know how you ment it,

mode 1 or 2 , 3 or 4 - we all love flying.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 AM
bgold

I'm mode 1. When I started to fly in 1963 it was on an 10 channel Orit reed radio. They came out with proportional radio and it was a huge improvement and like the reed radios the throttle and ailerons were on the right, rudder and elevator on the left. There was no mode 1, that's just the way they were made. I've tried to learn mode 2 but my computer screen has a dent in the bottom where that plane keeps hitting when in full panic I throttle back. Also flew with Ralph Brookes, he was a 4 year world champion and a great guy and flyer but he didn't win all the local contests in the Seattle - Portland area, there are/were a few other good pilots arround able to fly Mode 1.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 AM
BlackhawkDriver

Old mode 1 flyer here. I thought it would be nice to rekindle the old thread. I somewhat wish I would have learned on mode 2. However, with that said I am clearly the most advanced flyer at my club.
I learned back in the day with a 2 channel radio that had ele on the left and rudder on the right. It was very easy to add 2 more channels and master mode 1. This was back in 1980.
For the young kids today, I believe their culture has allowed them to be incredible mode 2 pilots. My club seems to be the norm of older white guys. I watch most if not of all of them struggle with getting their planes back. I have always thought splitting up the primary control surfaces was better and or easier for learning. Bottom line is continue to do what your are happy with. Cheers to all and happy new year. And before anyone says it, there is no correlation between RC flying and real planes.

28 years ATP multiengine land
Commercial rotorcraft.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:54 PM
[email protected]

I have heard it many times" "I fly Mode !! because that is the way you fly REAL airplanes". Assuming by REAL, they mean full-size, I find very little similarity between full size and R/C flying!
As for left hand/right hand - I am a softball photographer. I would guess that 99.9 percent of the girls in the game are right handed. They throw with their right, and catch with their left. And I have seen it many times - a high pop up and no matter how loud the coach is hollering "Both Hands, Both Hands", the catch is made single (left!) handed.
Maybe girls that play softball are just more adaptable than R/Cers??
Old 01-02-2018, 07:15 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe they just have a "throwing hand" and a "catching hand" like we have a "rudder and throttle thumb" and an "elevator and aileron thumb."

You get good through practice. Maybe those young ladies are just properly practicing. (BTW, the left-handed ones are the artistic ones around the perimeter of the game, writing about it, drawing it, photographing it).

Almost 10 years since the last post. That's gotta be some kind of record!

Andy
Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
[email protected]

andy kunz - I should have checked the date of the initial entry, which brings up a question: why is there not an auto erasure date on them.
The subject has drifted off, as happens often, but at least there has not been aby name calling. In reading through the comments, I found a lot of droners and thought it would be a good place to ask something I have wondered about: Drones - do you pilot or point them.
Comments went from that to girl softball players, and your comments but catching hands and throwing hands.. Did you watch the Pasadena Rose Parade? Queen Isabella plays softball (1st Base!) - she was waving at the crowd with her right hand. Does that mean she has a catching hand, a throwing hand, and a waving hand???
Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

They drive them. They're not pilots.

I don't do parades.