Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New or old Emaxx

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 AM
aggie4231

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or old Emaxx

Hi yall

I have the chance to get an Emaxx. The lhs has both the old and new emaxx in stock. I'm trying to decide which one to get.
I normally just bash in the grass and open fields, also on baseball fields. There will be some jumping involved, as well as some off-road.
Would it be worth it just for the new "waterproof" electronics?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Nerf
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New or old Emaxx

Its kind of obvious on which one to get... The new E-maxx is better in every way over the old one. I say its a real E-savage killer.[8D]
Old 12-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: aggie4231

Hi yall

I have the chance to get an Emaxx. The lhs has both the old and new emaxx in stock. I'm trying to decide which one to get.
I normally just bash in the grass and open fields, also on baseball fields. There will be some jumping involved, as well as some off-road.
Would it be worth it just for the new "waterproof" electronics?
Yeah, thats not much of a compitition...[8D]
Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 PM
ChuckDeez

yeah i have both and i love the new emaxx. Much better built.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
novakmaxx

new.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal favorite is the old E-Maxx. Why dont you like the new one you ask? Here is why-

- What's with the odd offset tranny? It makes no sense! And only a single speed? And if you want the optional 2 speed, you also have to get the 3 channel radio! What a rip off!

- Those little swinging battery strap things look heavy, and they seem very fragile.

- Water proof electronics huh? Are they trying to appeal to the boating crowd? Really, who wants to have to completely clean and oil the motors every time they get wet... And the truck is COMPLETELY water proof... what fun is it if you cant go completely underwater?

- Basically, this new emaxx has good upgrades, but the single speed tranny, 2 channel radio, same motors, and parts stolen from a revo, it basically just sets it back to the level of the old emaxx. It is pointless to get the new one. And with a nice aluminum chassis, a couple of steel gears for the tranny, a wing mount, and a good high torque servo, and do the water proofing yourself (which is easy), your old e-maxx can be a just as good or better handling platform than the new emaxx. And it would probably cost less in the long run too.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM
aggie4231

OK then, New it is.
Next question what type of batteries and charger? I won't need lipos, but would like a charger that could handle lipo for future purposes.
6 or 7 cell batteries? I think 6 cell would be the best for me right now. I can always get 7 cells when I fell the need for speed.

Also, any hop-ups to consider getting? I have my old non-running t-maxx if I need anything in a hurry.
What kind of gears should I consider getting for down the road?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Jolly Roger Pirate

My personal favorite is the old E-Maxx. Why dont you like the new one you ask? Here is why-

- What's with the odd offset tranny? It makes no sense! And only a single speed? And if you want the optional 2 speed, you also have to get the 3 channel radio! What a rip off!

- Those little swinging battery strap things look heavy, and they seem very fragile.

- Water proof electronics huh? Are they trying to appeal to the boating crowd? Really, who wants to have to completely clean and oil the motors every time they get wet... And the truck is COMPLETELY water proof... what fun is it if you cant go completely underwater?

- Basically, this new emaxx has good upgrades, but the single speed tranny, 2 channel radio, same motors, and parts stolen from a revo, it basically just sets it back to the level of the old emaxx. It is pointless to get the new one. And with a nice aluminum chassis, a couple of steel gears for the tranny, a wing mount, and a good high torque servo, and do the water proofing yourself (which is easy), your old e-maxx can be a just as good or better handling platform than the new emaxx. And it would probably cost less in the long run too.
The offset tranny is for balance and low CG. It counteracts with the electronics on the other side of the chassis. The waterproof electronics are not dumb. Traxxas said that they rean the e-maxx completely under water for one hour and nothing fried, broke and smoked. (traxxas's word) IMO the new e-maxx is a real monster and its ready for anything that gets thrown in its path.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets not forget that the new one has a beefier transmission, even if it is only single speed. I'd feel much more comfortable putting powerful brushless motors into the new one.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Lets not forget that the new one has a beefier transmission, even if it is only single speed. I'd feel much more comfortable putting powerful brushless motors into the new one.
Yeah I forgot about that. Its brushless ready.[8D]
Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Bombers_410

considering the new one isn't THAT much more expensive either... but you could always (cough) get the e-savage sport (cough) better deal!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 PM
69eyes

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=396849

someones new emaxx got water in the electrical system, it fixed itself after it dried but eh...

I have the new emaxx and love it, go new.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 AM
aggie4231

thanks