Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Need Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
zen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Balancer

I need a recommendation on a real cheap balancer. I'm on a budget, especially since I just spent my heli fund on other equipment. I have a Celectra charger, charges 1-3 cells, and a 13.8 vdc, 1.75a, 40a power supply for ac charging. I need to charge batteries for a cx2 7.4v 800mah I think, a 11.1v 1300mah, and a 11.1v 2100mha. I saw a balancer for 25.00 I think it was a binky, I'm not sure. Also how does it hook up to this set up. Also what do you think about this power supply? I had it laying around. I'm new at this batt charging thing, so anything would help at this point.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
sky21

Default RE: Need Balancer

Hi zen3:

I'm using a E-Sky charger (model EK2-0851) about $14 and an E-flite AC to DC adapter (12V, 1.5A) output. The output for the charger is .8A and works very well

Hope this Help

Sky21
Old 12-27-2007, 09:04 PM
zen3

How long does it take to balance and charge a 11.1v batt?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 AM
sky21

It take about 1 hour to charge the battery
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 PM
RoyBob
My Feedback: (1)

The CX2 battery should be charged at the 500mA / 2 Cell switch positions on the Celectra. The output connects to the JST plug on the battery - the same plug that the battery plugs into on the heli. The problem is that this is a "series" battery so the positive connection is on one battery and the negative is on the other - so you need a way to balance the cells. The Astro Blinky would connect to the balance charge plug - which is the three connector plug for the 2 cell (7.4v) lipo, and a four connector on the 3 cell (11.1v). I use a Blinky and balance the battery after the charge is complete.

Never charge a lipo at a current greater than 1 times its rating. So an 850mAH lipo should not be charged at a rate greater than 850mA. A 2100mAH should not be charged at a rate greater than 2.1A.

Using the same Celectra charger to charge all three of your batteries will require great care an diligence on your part. You would not want to accidentally charge the 850mAH battery at the 2.0A setting - it will likely damage the battery and, worse, start a fire.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 AM
stevennh

I have a "blinky" balancer like this one ($25):

[link=http://www.readyheli.com/Astro_Blinky_Balancer_p/blinky.htm]Astro Blinky Balancer[/link]

It works great on my 2100 and 2200 3s packs. It depends on the battery, but balancing takes from no time to 10-15 minutes. It seems that after using it for a few cycles, the batteries balance much faster (a few minutes). The blinky connects to the balance plug on your battery during or after you charge the pack (I balance after I charge).

Steve
Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
zen3

Hey thanks for the warnings and info, much appriciated. Next purchace is to buy a GOOD charger that can keep up as my involvement in the hobby grows. I have my eye on a charger that I did some research on, its a Hyperion EOS1210i and two LBA10 balancers. It sounds pretty pwerful. See my other post at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#6756864. BoysToys explains it pretty well. It sounds really impressive......Z
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 AM
RoyBob
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not familiar with the Hyperion amd LBA10s. The LBA10s are, as I referred to them in another thread, "in-line" balancers. In other words your connect your battery to the LBA10s via the balance charge plug and the LBA10 plugs into the charger. Looking over the website quickly, there appears to be a way to charge two of the same sized batteries at the same time. And, from what I read, if you have their 2C Hyperion batteries you can charge at twice the normal rate for a lipo.

But I'm confused. Buying an entirely new charging system is a different question than finding a cheap balancer.

The Blinky, which is also being discussed here, does not connect inline. You connect the battery directly to your charger via the JST or Deans plug. The Binky hangs off the battery on the balance charge plug. It costs about $25 and works with the setup and batteries you described.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
zen3

As I stated in the original post, I kinda spent my play cash on the existing equipment I have. The reason the origional post also stated "cheap balancer". Thats why I was also asking about the Blinky, because its cheap. Only when I accumulate more play cash is when I become more serious about buying a expensive charger. It was only a conversation on a thought for the future. I was not looking for any more info, it was just a conversation. The equipment I have now will be sufficient till then. I thank you for all the info regarding the Blinky, For now I think thats the way Im going to go....................Zen
Old 12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
ct420

The hyperion balancers are nice. I have two of them. I have an lba6 and an lba10. The lba10 is newer. It actually connects to both the series output and the balance connector on the lipo. You can use it to balance 'off line' that is, while not also charging the battery, or you can balance while charging. You can also link two of them together, and balance up to 20S I think, as one battery.

The lba6 is older, and connects in-line between the charger and battery via the balance plug on the lipo. I too can balance off line or while charging.

I always charge while I balance. I like the added protection the hyperions provide. They will never let any cell become overcharged or over discharged for any reason... (yes, you can also use them to balance discharge by connecting them to a load of some sort)

I've heard good things about the hyperion charger, but I don't have one personally. I have an Orbit charger, and LOVE it
Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
zen3

Sounds good, I am definitely going to check into them when I'm ready to go that route.