Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 AM
gabbonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injection

im suprised that this hasnt come up yet but anyway. has mini fuel injection been done? i cant see why it wouldnt work, it would be impractical but it would work.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 AM
ttoks

Default RE: fuel injection

except it's not feasible, not yet anyway, the technology isn't small enough or light enough yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if there's ever been a 35,000 rpm fuel distributor/timer before (?) Fuel injection is usually saved where carb vapors have too large of area or path to follow, so they put the spray nozzle straight into the top of the combustion chamber or directly behind the intake valve. Is this how your's would work? They also work off of extremely high fuel pressure - upwards towards 100 lbs. It could be a safety issue (this is the cause of the typical fireball explosions you'll see in top fuel motors), or perhaps the benifit would not outweight the drag on the motor to pressurize the system (?) Don't really know for sure...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 AM
VIPER458

didnt os engines used to have a few fuel injected airplane engines
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
ttoks

on planes there is a wide array of options, you can go spark ignition nitro engines, supercharged 4 strokes, theres even an alternator setup for plane to recharge the RX battery in flight, but plane engines are much larger then surface engines, and much less abused, and they run at a constant. much lower RPM which helped a lot, it's almost standard practice for plane engines to use a fuel jump to provide constant fuel pressure during 3D flying.

one way i can see fuel injection working is a constant, steady stream into the crankcase, but then that wouldn't have enough power gains to overcome what the fuel pump would take, if any gains are made at all, it would be interesting to see if it worked none the less.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
SManMTB

OS had (still have) a fuel injected airplane engine.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
The_Collector

A good 10 years ago, a company called PC/RC developed an electronic system that controlled a valve in-line with the fuel delivery. I think the system was around $300. It metered fuel based on throttle servo input signal, cylinder head temp., and oxygen sensor input. It was marketed for a few years, then more or less disappeared. A web site for the product used to exist. From what I recall, PC/RC's design and assets were bought out by another unknown(I can't remember) company, to be shelved and hidden ever since. If anyone remembers or knows more about PC/RC, please chime in.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Webra sells a high-end that has active electronic fuel mapping but i do not think it is fuel injection...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 PM
jatoracing33

whats wrong with what we got now? i always say if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
ttoks

some people just want more, in my opinion the next big advancement for glow engines is well, to get rid of the glow plug, spark ignitions.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 PM
gabbonator

couldnt you already do that on a 4 stroke? a mini distributer couldnt be to hard. and is there anything stopping you from using a plane engine in a car? i wanna 4 stroke for this turbo idea and nobody sells ones designed for cars.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: The_Collector

A good 10 years ago, a company called PC/RC developed an electronic system that controlled a valve in-line with the fuel delivery. I think the system was around $300. It metered fuel based on throttle servo input signal, cylinder head temp., and oxygen sensor input. It was marketed for a few years, then more or less disappeared. A web site for the product used to exist. From what I recall, PC/RC's design and assets were bought out by another unknown(I can't remember) company, to be shelved and hidden ever since. If anyone remembers or knows more about PC/RC, please chime in.
.................................I hear PC/RC just leased the technology and the company they had the agreement with would not renew their lease. I hope someone comes out with a new improved design that will make our nitro motor more powerful.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 AM
ttoks

O.S sells a .26 4 stroke for 1:10th on road cars, it's considered the same class as a .12 two stroke, and people have put plane engines in cars, i got a pic here of an O.S .90 in a revo, and O.S offers allthere big 4 strokes with an optional supercharger from the factory.

and indeed you probably could do spark ignition on a car, but the weight of the system right now wouldn't be worth it, you'd need to run a magneto or you'd have to run a capacitor and transformer to get enough volts to make a spark out of the 6 volt batteries, which it would drain impossibly fast, then you need to get th epoints and everything, it needs a lot of development really which right now i don't think any manufacter see's any profit in, plane engines are a bit easier to convert because they don't get throw around like a surface engine does (when the engines in a plane) and it doesn't need to be as light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66764.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	821062  
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
gabbonator

very cool
Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I am currently developing fuel injection. I have many years robotics experience and in programming embedded chips. It is very inexpensive to do by yourself. The parts required are cheap.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:37 PM
eclipseaudio4

One thing I am wondering about is why we dont have an alternator for our lil cars? I dont think it would be to complex or all that heavy.. here goes my guess as to how it could be used and put together with the lil understanding i have of these things...
Ok take a little brushless engine/motor mount it like one of the super/turbo chargers put a small cercit board that senses the voltage of your rx battery and regulates the amount of voltage to keep it at a constant. Now i know there would probably be a lot more involved but i think that that would be the basics involved. Then you have no more dead rx batteries and you can use a starter like the big cars on the road. Also another added bonus would be you could use spark alot easier.

Feel free to point out stuff i got wrong so that some with more time could try it and not run into the obvious problems that i am not seeing.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:15 PM
SManMTB

Why would you even want to mess with that?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:24 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you measuring for feedback?

ORIGINAL: Yub, yub, cmdr!

I am currently developing fuel injection. I have many years robotics experience and in programming embedded chips. It is very inexpensive to do by yourself. The parts required are cheap.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: ttoks

people have put plane engines in cars, i got a pic here of an O.S .90 in a revo, and O.S offers allthere big 4 strokes with an optional supercharger from the factory.

ttoks, thats not a OS 90, its a OS 52, I've talked to the guy who knows the guy who built it. and the guy that owns that revo said its a OS 52, seems like somone else said the same thing, that it was a OS 90, on that same truck, just in a different forum.

where are you getting that a OS 90?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, how are those O.S. 4 strokes started? (I mean cranked over) Tom[8D]
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
F-15 Fan

Maybe you could use the fuel pump used on model jet engines.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Just out of curiosity, how are those O.S. 4 strokes started? (I mean cranked over) Tom[8D]
in a plane you spin the prop (by hand or a stick) or they have 12V motors thehave rubber in the tips to grip the spinners (the cone that covers the prop nut) kinda like are bump boxs.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM
125cchyperman

Actually it's not all that hard to have a fuel pump on these nitro engine's. Now it wont make the pressure needed to make the the fuel injection needed to work. But there are fuel pumps for these things. You actually have to drill a hole in the crankcase, then the fuel pump then uses the crankcase pressure to turn the fuel pump. It doesnt take any power away form the engine at all. We use the same system in our Micro midget(same thing as a sprint car just on a smaller scale) with our 125cc 2 stroke engine running on methanol. Although if you used a big enough nozle on the fuel injection it wouldnt need those high of pressures to make the fuel injection happen. But you would have to re design the engine inorder for this to work at all. If ya ran it inside of the crankcase then it might work a little, but as some may know fuel attomization is the whole reason behind fuel injection. Thats one of the big reason why it's so much better then a enigne running on carb's. But you would need to re design our two stroke so much, that it might not even be worth having, and even if you could do it, then changes needed would send the price of the engine through the roof.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
gabbonator

itd be the type of car you wouldnt drive, only look at and admire. you could bring the price down if you did it all yourself, but youd have to be a pretty good machinist. the perry fuel pump is what you should use if your thinking of forced induction. it runs off the crankcase pressure so that the extra pressure from the forced induction, means extra fuel too. .....man that sounded like an ad.[:@]
Old 01-01-2008, 12:44 AM
eclipseaudio4

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Why would you even want to mess with that?
Well you wouldn't have to worry about your car running away because the bat is to low or died for some reason, and i think it would get us closer to spark ign, and fuel injection.
I think all in all tho this sort of thing would raise the price so much that people would not want it. I just bash with mine so they work great for me as long as i remember to charge my bat.
just kinda throwing ideas against the wall...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.