Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:54 PM
chrishornby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Happy New Year Papa Jeff and all our readers! Maybe this year I will manage to get a bit further down on my annual Stateside visit and see what you flyers are doing in the deep South!

Best Wishes
Chris

PS looking forward to your video, Junkjet!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:09 PM
ryanronning

Well my predator ate it today.... hardcore. First flight it lifted off good and then took a hard roll... not sure what happened interference possible because the violent turn it took was insane!

The damage was a broke left wing joint and the nose was hammered. Not wanting to fix the nose, I said "what the hell" and lifted off again expecting a crash, and crash it did.

Win some lose some.

here's some crude video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yud3rDlM_s0
Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
papajeff

Ryan,

Ouch, that really hurt to watch! Your take-off looked good and then that weird "snap roll" like lurch to the left! It was as if a full left aileron move
was suddenly made. If signal was lost, the plane should have just continued on kind of straight and then down to the ground. What comes to mind are the following questions; Where was the CG? What was the flying weight? Were you trying to continue to gain altitude or were you trying to start your turn to the left? We all crash, yet the reason for the crash is important to try to determine. It's all part of the learning process.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan that really bites.Are you going to fix it back up and try again? I got a second flight on my Predater today, still seems a bit tail heavy and flying with some down trim. I will add 1/2 OZ and try it again. I will post some vid. as soon as my GF sends it to me from her cam!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
f41stryker

I've read a lot of pages from this interview and I am really interested in getting this as my FIRST real RC plane. The price of the plane is very cost effective and I love the uniqueness of this plane. I've logged in a lot of hours using Great Planes Flight Simulator flying trainers and gliders. I plan on using all of PapaJeff's recommended electronics as far as motor/battery/servoes. Not sure what kind of radio/receiver I'll get, probably something from Airtronics or Spektrum. I just wanted to get the opinions of those that are on this thread if this plane would make an acceptable first model. Thank you. -Chris
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Mr Ray

Hi to all, as you can see I'm new to the forum. I was talked into buying a Pred after being assured it was a beginners delight, began to assemble it and now almost finished. Still waiting for the motor and battery. Sorry to say I found this thread too late and feel I screwed it up so bad it probably will self destruct the first flight, so I ordered another to do it right with the help of all of you. I have learned so much reading this thread, thanks to all. Must admit I never was in to r/c. Bought a Super Cub from Hobby Zone to get started, only had it up once, over a hour. 20 seconds free flight, over an hour in a pine tree. Took a 28 foot extension ladder and a 15 foot pole to get it down. no damage to the cub. Not too bad for a 71 year old retired electrican. Never too old to have fun. My wife of 51 years says I never had a childhood, so I'm having it now. It's nice to be able to afford a belated childhood.
I have been into model railroading for about 20 years, and still injoy running trains arround and arround. If interested go to http://rme09216.general-hosting.com/ and click on trains.
By the way are the flight simulator training kits worth the effort?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
junkjet

IMO, the Predator is not a trainer by no means. This aircraft is a challenge to trim out and get right. I liked the building and the two flights because of that challenge. I have been modeling for many years and this little bird is vary different. I suggest you new guys get with a local club to help with your training. You may want to check out the Electra Star if you want to stay with E power. The flight sims are good but nothing beets hands on IMO.
Freddy
Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 PM
f41stryker

fortunately I have a friend that is probably one of the most advanced rc aircraft enthusiasts in my tri-state area. He is one of the few people who have flown a string control jet with a turbine engine. I think he can help me "trim" my predator if/when it comes time.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
papajeff

F41Stryker,

Hey, Chris, thanks for the nice comments, they are really appreciated. If you are looking for a radio, I will tell you that the Spektrum is the way to go, for sure! Either the DX-6 or the DX-7 and it is really worth it to get the kit with the servos and receiver. Ask your Pal and see what he has to say about 2.4 systems. Also, make sure that you have your Pal check out your Predator when you are finished with the build and even ask him for advice during the build. I believe that his experience will be a great benefit to your learning process. I also recommend that he do the maiden flight for you and fill you in on the Predators flying characteristics as you watch him fly it, because Junkjet is right about the Predator not being a starter plane. Gook luck with your build and be sure to keep us aware of your progress.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
papajeff

Ryan,

What's up with the search for the reason that your Predator malfunctioned itself into that strange maneuver?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
papajeff

Mr. Ray,

Now you got the picture! None of us RC fly guys are ever going to grow up............that's no fun, right?????? And let me tell you that TREES are always getting in our way! Now, the other thing is that all of us "OLD DINOSAURS" stick together, so when and if you need any sort of help with your build..............just give us a shout and you can count on getting lots of advice. Remember, just have fun with this.....that's the secret!

Can you tell that I'm just a KID at heart???

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81930.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	841280  
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: junkjet

Ryan that really bites.Are you going to fix it back up and try again? I got a second flight on my Predater today, still seems a bit tail heavy and flying with some down trim. I will add 1/2 OZ and try it again. I will post some vid. as soon as my GF sends it to me from her cam!

First, Happy New Year! Now, tell your GF to get with it and post that video! Also, I did have to add 1/2 oz of weight to the nose and that solved the issue. As you can see in the video, take-offs and flight is a breeze and landings are no problem as long as you realize that those long narrow wings
make the Predator just GLIDE & GLIDE & GLIDE in! Let us know how it goes.

Name:	Ec89273.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	841297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	841298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25426.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	841299  
Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
brownlab

junkjet is right, the predator is no trainer, i know from experience. my predator wan in a million pieces
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
f41stryker

Papajeff, thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm really excited at the prospect of getting this plane in the near future. We've got some good flying clubs in my area and I would think that they would be pretty helpful, especially my friend. I run RC cars and Spektrum seems to be the way to go, from talking to him he feels the same way for air too, so I may look at one of those systems. I plan on using all of the items you recommend on nitroplane's website. I think that I may think about getting the plane when it starts to warm up in my area. I really enjoyed your write up of your predator build and it seems that it won't be terribly difficult from a build standpoint.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
junkjet

Here is a vid. my first attempt at posting one. nevermind my daughters complaining about the cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSYGdIq-IY
Old 01-05-2008, 01:25 PM
papajeff

Freddy,

You did good! Just a little video instructions for your camera lady, right???? Set the camera to infinity focus or sport focus.......zoom out or in and get the plane framed properly so that you can follow the takeoff, flight and landing. Sometimes it is better for the camera to be farther back from the Pilot and then use the zoom to get closer. Just some suggestions.

Now, your flight was good and I assume that the landing was also good! On takeoffs, you can let it go a little longer down the runway to gain speed for the takeoff. On your alieron turns, I would suggest to make them much more gentle with just a little opposite rudder ("V" tail) thrown in.
The problem with aggressive aileron turns like some that you made is, sometimes with a reduction in speed for whatever the reason, the Predator
will just go into the dreaded "DEATH" spiral. So, easy and gentle on the turns. Other than that, you did good.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
papajeff

Freddy,

Basically, the first photo is the correct attitude for turns. The second photo to the right, is the dangerous type of aileron turn which could lead to problems. I hope that this helps.

Name:	Bz78461.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	842865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19914.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	842866  
Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM
brownlab

hey junkjet you should check your comments for that video
Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
brownlab

nevermind it wont let me post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
junkjet

thanks Jeff, I am going to try to flatten out my turns a bit more. As far as the vids, my daughter will get better as we go. Still waiting for the vid from the first flight from my GF.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 PM
junkjet

thanks for the comments brownlab
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
brownlab

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Mr Ray

papajeff

Did you use a pusher prop?

Are brushless motors reversable?

Where did you find pusher props?

Did not receive my second predator yet, want to do this one right.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:06 PM
junkjet

Hello MR RAY. for what its worth, I just turned my prop bacwards. Its a 9-6 APC E, works just fine for me.
Freddy
Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Mr Ray

Freddy, why didn't I think of that? Thanks so much.

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.