Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

ORIGINAL: dragoonpvw
The good news is that the 14mz sets are not involved so they should be safe.
Respectfully, where did you hear that?

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth I just called Hobbico and they simply don't believe this is a problem. They did say they are waiting for the transmitters to come back... their advice was not to worry in the mean time.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
shakes268

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

I'll bet they are waiting for the transmitters to come back! That is like the DA sending all the evidence to to the defendant to examine. I sent an OS engine in when the chrome started flaking off the cylinder and the engine froze. They said they could not find anything wrong with the engine but sent me a new engine just to be sure. I had taken the engine apart and saw the flaking.[8D]
Bob
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Six-Shtr
My Feedback: (12)

I bought a new Futaba FAAS system t6ex from Tower October 11, 2007. The radio arrived, worked for a short time then frizzled. The green/red light on the back would never go green, it always alternated. I sent it back on November 12th, 2007 and was EVENTUALLY told that it checked out on the bench. I pissed and moaned and pitched a fit and finally ended up with a new , working, radio. I am not convinced of the reliability of these things , yet, either. I wish all of you good luck.

Rick
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Daemon

ORIGINAL: d_wheel
The simplest way is to turn your receiver on while someone else is flying. If your control surfaces follow the other transmitter, you both have a problem. Quoted below is the best solution as far as I can see:

"Get all 2.4 FASST systems in your club together and carry out the following test.

Switch on your TX and all other RX’s, see if any other system will respond, if not then repeat with all other TX’s one at a time. Remember, only 1 TX at a time.
What this will do will show that all the TX’s in your club are not interfering with each others rx, therefore you do not have more than ONE faulty TX present. However if a new TX or module turns up then you MUST repeat the test, because one of your TX’s may have been faulty but it would not show unless 2 or more are present. (Bit of a pain but you can at least continue with safety until Futaba give a heads up on this and resolve/replace the faulty TX’s."

Later;

D.W.
The problem with that is that it's not "simple" in any way shape or form. You still have to check every single Tx/Rx against every other Tx/Rx in the whole club
and even if you've tested them all, you could still have one ZGUID Tx in the group (and there's no way to know which one). A new guy shows up, tests his Tx against
5 out of 6 of the FASST systems and is ok. 6th guy shows up, thinks he's ok, because he's already tested against everyone else, switches on, new guy falls
out of the sky.

If you had a *known* ZGUID bound Rx, then everyone need only check against that single receiver, and if they can't control it, then they
know that they do not have a ZGUID Tx. Doesn't get much simpler than that. And even if Futaba doesn't supply people with these Rxs
for testing, as soon as another ZGUID Tx is identified (such as those at the start of this thread) those could be used to
bind a bunch of Rxs to send to people (you send em your Rx, they bind it, and send it back, and as long as you don't rebind it, you can
use it for testing for ZGUID Txs at your club for as long as you want ).

ian
Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: Daemon

If you had a *known* ZGUID bound Rx, then everyone need only check against that single receiver, and if they can't control it, then they
know that they do not have a ZGUID Tx. Doesn't get much simpler than that. And even if Futaba doesn't supply people with these Rxs
for testing, as soon as another ZGUID Tx is identified (such as those at the start of this thread) those could be used to
bind a bunch of Rxs to send to people (you send em your Rx, they bind it, and send it back, and as long as you don't rebind it, you can

ian
Perhaps, but not likely to happen.

Personally, it won't slow me down all that much. I'll just be a little extra careful (check as many transmitters as possible and watch new ones like a hawk) and go ahead and have fun. After all, only 2 cases worldwide that we know of and neither has been properly diagnosed yet. When we start seeing more cases I will become more concerned.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
GrayUK

An update.

I have received other info today, it is unofficial but from a good source.
Futaba are sure they know how this has happened and are putting together an announcement for release shortly.

My info tells me is that the 12 and 14 channel units are not vulnerable to this problem.
What I mean is that they will not suffer from,

1) 000000 coding in themselves
2) Because of this they are not vulnerable to anyone’s set that is faulty

So that is good news.
(This must however still be confirmed by Futaba)

The 8 channel modules are not out in the UK , but the error will be checked for and corrected should it exist in them. (No evidence at this time that it does)
The feeling is it will not.
The 2 systems that are definitely vulnerable are the 6 and 7 channel systems.
I have no confirmation yet as to the situation on the 7 channel modules.

I will keep you informed as and when I get any further reliable data.

Regards

Paul

PS as for Hobbico not believing it is a problem, well they are either in denial, or not well informed.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: Daemon

ORIGINAL: d_wheel
The simplest way is to turn your receiver on while someone else is flying. If your control surfaces follow the other transmitter, you both have a problem. Quoted below is the best solution as far as I can see:

"Get all 2.4 FASST systems in your club together and carry out the following test.

Switch on your TX and all other RX’s, see if any other system will respond, if not then repeat with all other TX’s one at a time. Remember, only 1 TX at a time.
What this will do will show that all the TX’s in your club are not interfering with each others rx, therefore you do not have more than ONE faulty TX present. However if a new TX or module turns up then you MUST repeat the test, because one of your TX’s may have been faulty but it would not show unless 2 or more are present. (Bit of a pain but you can at least continue with safety until Futaba give a heads up on this and resolve/replace the faulty TX’s."

Later;

D.W.
The problem with that is that it's not "simple" in any way shape or form. You still have to check every single Tx/Rx against every other Tx/Rx in the whole club
and even if you've tested them all, you could still have one ZGUID Tx in the group (and there's no way to know which one). A new guy shows up, tests his Tx against
5 out of 6 of the FASST systems and is ok. 6th guy shows up, thinks he's ok, because he's already tested against everyone else, switches on, new guy falls
out of the sky.

ian
I did say everything you said in my post, and that it was a PAIN in the AR$E, but it is temporary, so we can all continue until the solution is published.

Paul
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Kwesdog

Thanks alot for the updates Paul. I just got my 12FG with the TM-14 when these threads popped up a bit ago. Been following fairly closely and this is a slight sigh of relief and it will be even more of one once Futaba deciedes to do an announcement.

Harry
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
seattle_helo
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, what a mess. This is a serious error and oversight from Futaba. It does not inspire confidence in any of their SS products or software updates. If something as significant as identical GUID codes passed QA then that really says something.

For what it's worth I just called Hobbico and they simply don't believe this is a problem. They did say they are waiting for the transmitters to come back... their advice was not to worry in the mean time.

Easy for them to say!

nick

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I'm sure glad all you armchair techs are here to diagnose the problem when the problem units HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN SENT IN FOR SERVICE YET...
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
harphunt

I just took delivery of the 7c fasst after MUCH deliberation in deciding between it and the dx7. I'm sick to my stomach over this. Even if mine isn't affected, this whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd like to know soon from Futaba, as I still have time to return the 7c and purchase the dx7. Oh the fickle finger of fate!

What to do but wait?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

I'll bet they are waiting for the transmitters to come back! That is like the DA sending all the evidence to to the defendant to examine. I sent an OS engine in when the chrome started flaking off the cylinder and the engine froze. They said they could not find anything wrong with the engine but sent me a new engine just to be sure. I had taken the engine apart and saw the flaking.[8D]
Bob
as will be the claim when they get these Tx's back.................no problem found, users must be smoking something......LOL
Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
yakman

Interesting that there has been no word either way from futaba
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yakman

Interesting that there has been no word either way from futaba
Why would there be? They haven't seen the units in question yet. In the Futba forum they have said that they don't intend to speculate on something the say they have not yet seen. Sounds like the proper course to take to me. The sooner these units get sent in the sooner there may be a response. Yes, I said MAY. Look at the bright side, the JR/Spektrum shills are having a party with this. Nice that they can enjoy the possibility of a fellow modeler having trouble.[:'(]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6881495
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

There has been a response from Futaba. Krysta posted from Hobby Services has post, either on this thread or the one in the Futaba support forum.

She said they had asked the affected modelers to send their TX's in to be examined. The owners of the TX's are the one holding things up due to paranoia that they will be lied to.

I don't care if the Spectrum/JR children gloat. After all they've been through, they really need this.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
yakman

We have asked the users in North America to send their systems to us so that we can verify the problem.

Considering the problem and its consequences I believe Futaba should be more pro-active.

As I have been flying non-asian radios for the last seven years I am on neither side od the fence. This just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: yakman

We have asked the users in North America to send their systems to us so that we can verify the problem.

Considering the problem and its consequences I believe Futaba should be more pro-active.

As I have been flying non-asian radios for the last seven years I am on neither side od the fence. This just my opinion.
They can't force someone to return a transmitter. This isn't a police state.

They also stated they tested the same situations and couldn't duplicate the problem. As a programmer, its nearly impossible to fix a problem in which you don't have enough information and can't duplicate the problem. For them to correctly duplicate it, they need the equipment in question.

Maybe the black helicopters should descend on these folks home with warrants to turn over their hobby equipment.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, Futaba loyalists ARE the same as JR(Spektrum)...reminds me of Democrats vs Republicans....politics as usual...

Lets wait to see how Futaba addresses the speculation, issue, problem...
Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
GrayUK

Futaba USA may not have the faulty units from you guys yet, but Futaba Japan DO have the faulty UK units and HAVE seen the fault.
Ripmax UK have found faulty stock (as indicated in previous posts), what % is not known at this time.
An announcement and solution is imminent whether Futaba USA says so or not!

Paul
Old 01-11-2008, 06:13 AM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

I was hopeful to get some good information here. All I read is endless rambling and speculation by the uninformed. Kinda like the Rush Limbaugh show of RC.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

I was hopeful to get some good information here. All I read is endless rambling and speculation by the uninformed. Kinda like the Rush Limbaugh show of RC.
Great, throw in politics and start the thread lock timer.

At least I'm home with the flu and stocked up on my popcorn.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM
ddaveb

I can undersannd that two tx's would control the same rx if the Guid codes are the same but why should a the second tx to be switched on cause a model to crash as the system in addition to the guid code is supposed to check on switch on for an unused channel & only transmit on an unused channel so even if the Guid codes were the same two tx should not interfere with each other & each ?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
shakes268

My guess is that with channel hopping at 2ms on each radio, they are bound to step all over each other. They get crossed up. Its not like one is controlling the other - its more of interference. Yea, there's control in 2 ms time frames but not sure which transmitter has control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.