Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Galaxy 3D
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

The directions say the RTF weight should be 26 to 27.5lbs. I am running a 3W 106cs with stock mufflers, Hitec HS5995TG's all around, Smart Fly power distributer with 2 separate Fromco 5400 packs that run 2 voltage regulators, and a JR 10 channel radio.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

If you set up your plane exactly like suggested in the manual, I am confident you will be in low 27 lbs or 27 1/2 Max.
In brief mine is set up as follows:

2-3000 Duralite LiPo or you can use LIMN
1 PowerBox SC-12
1 Digi-Switch and 2150 2 cell Li-Ion
DA100 and stock mufflers

No spinner, 26x12 Mejzlik

Just an ounce or two below 27 lbs!

Quique has pipes and his is right around 28lbs

Thank you,
Reza
Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Rezagh

One more thing I'd like to add, Quique does not use powerbox, he uses two Duralite HC regulator! I did weigh the HC regulators and it was only about an ounce savings over the SC-12 so I went by the SC-12 that has built-in matchboxes. Quique is not using any match boxes either.

Guys,

We have an excellent result from our DA85 testing. It will be anounced by Quique or myself very soon. We are very busy getting ready for the AMA show but stay tuned! This will be awesome.

Reza
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Galaxy 3D

So I guess the 3W engine is 2 pounds heavier that a DA even though the published weight for both of their engines on their websites is identical. Look I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here but my scale does not lie and since we use it for my business it has been calibrated and certified within the past month. My set up should not be 2 Pounds heavier than yours. Whats killing me the most is having to add 8oz of tail weight to the plane. The batteries are all the way back against the middle bulk head in the turtle deck and can not be moved further back. I guess I got a heavy plane. That would go a ways to explain my CG issues. I do not think the additional weight will effect the flight performance, especially with a plane with as much wing area as this one has, its just frustrating is all.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Rezagh

The difference is not 2 lbs. You have 8 oz tail weight which I agree with you is a lot! Also in compare to mine you have a 5-7 oz spinner as well.
What ignition battery are you using?

You should have more than enough power and still very good wing loading. That 8 oz weight to the tail bothers me too. Keep me informed as soon as you get to fly it again. With the right CG you should feel a significant flying difference:-)

Reza
Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Well I can understand your frustration and I would suggest if possible, peel open the covering and move your batteries even further back to see if you can avoid adding weight. Nothing worse than having to add redundant weight. Humidity can also play a role in weights too, balsa and ply will absorb and hold humidity and that of course adds weight. The engine may in fact be heavier than the DA but I dont think that would equal two pounds. Look at everything forward of the CG and see if you can move any of that back too!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:49 PM
dickie boy

How long of standoffs did you use? I have the 106cs with cans and my ignition battery is on the front and both flight batteries are on the provided tray in the back.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
dickie boy

The 106 is the same weight as the da. Da doesn't include the weight of the ignition when they give weights. The only thing that is different is the 106 is a longer engine.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Galaxy 3D

Dickie Boy,

I used 1/4" stand offs. Do you know what your weight came out to?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Hooked-On-RC

ORIGINAL: dickie boy

The 106 is the same weight as the da. Da doesn't include the weight of the ignition when they give weights. The only thing that is different is the 106 is a longer engine.
Well if the 106 is longer that is going to put your prop and spinner further forward of your CG requiring more weight aft of your CG to get it to balance. if you can and if it is possible maybe move your engine back some, take out the spacers and hopefully you will still have enough prop clearance in front of the cowl. I usually shoot for 1/8" clearance between the spinner back plate and the cowl, in the case of the python the cowl around the prop hub is inset so you will have to watch your prop clearance around the outer perimeter of the cowl. it will also aftect your holes for your mufflers or your header lengths if you are using canister mufflers. If you can move the engine back you may not need so much weight to balance it.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
dickie boy

I've only weighed mine on a bathroom scale and it came to just under thirty pounds. I know that it could be plus or minus a pound or so. I'm still waiting to weigh it on a proper scale. What ever it weighs thou it sure doesn't fly like it's heavy. Even with my engine running pretty rich still and breaking in she launches out of a hover. I hope you can figure something out with balancing it. You may as well put cans on it if you have to add weight to the tail, at least you gain some extra hp for the weight penalty. I too can't stand having to add weight with no benefits except balance.
Cheers,
Richard....
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Galaxy 3D

This breaks my heart. It took 9oz to get the CG dead on. Hopefully when I install the smoke pump I can take off a a few ounces.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99413.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	847253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55989.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	847254  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM
dickie boy

On the subject of smoke systems. What size tank is everyone using and where are they putting it? I've got a smoke pump that's looking for a good home so I'd like to put it to good use.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Rob Howarth

'Huge amount of lead' - wow!

My CofG was forward of the recommended, I have flown it like that (10mm forward) it was OK. + flicks weren't too good, as you would expect, but it wasn't too bad - still flew very well. I known Reza & QQ say about it must be nearly exact, however 5-10mm forward on the first few flights will be fine. The way I have got round CofG is to remove my TP2100 lipos from the rear tray and replace them with TP4200's - more weight and useful capacity for greater amount of flights. Cures the problem without adding 'the church roof'!

Not weighed mine but but would expect it to be around 28 1/2 lbs. You could save quite a bit of weight and solve the CofG with this a/c if the cowl was replaced with a single piece unit that attached in 6 places. Personally I can't see a point to the 2 piece arrangement as my ignition Lipo has had to be placed in the 'cockpit' area.

Smoke system - will put a 32oz tank in 'cockpit' area, directly behind the gas tank. Pete Tindal smoke pump is very popular here in the UK and works very well from experience.

Rob

Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Galaxy 3D

I am gong to run the smoke tank (32oz) in the canister tunnel, since I am not using cans, right at the CG. I will install the pump as far back as I can get it in the cockpit area. I am going to have really long lines. I am trying out the Power box smoke pump. Has anyone used one of those?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 AM
torqmeister

ORIGINAL: dickie boy

On the subject of smoke systems. What size tank is everyone using and where are they putting it? I've got a smoke pump that's looking for a good home so I'd like to put it to good use.
I am stacking two 32 oz on top of ane another. Already fitted & looks good so far.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Dennis Carlsen

If you have not got the pump yet check out the Harris system, it works extremley well and is very light

Dennis
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Galaxy 3D

Where do you get a Harris pump?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: galaxyrpv.com

Where do you get a Harris pump?
http://harrismodelproducts.com/Home_Page.html
Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
qqs

Hello everyone,
The Python with DA85 is finish and flying. It is a big success. I am very happy and very impress with the way this combo performs.
The airplane balance very well. Two 3,000 lipo right in the cockpit area for RX. No extra weight for balancing. I flew the airplane on muffler (Slimeline Pitts style) and the total weight is just under 25lbs. 24 lbs14oz. It is very amazing to fly an airplane with that weight and 2,400 square inches of wing area and with almost same power as a 100a cc engine, simple incredible feeling.
I am very impress with the engine. I need to spend more time with props to find best one for it. I flew with a Mejzlik 26x12 and felt right. The engine turns that prop 70 rpm less than a DA 100 (on mufflers too) with same prop (the 100 is well broke in though). We run it also with Greeve pipes and the power it is simple amazing. Actually I am reading same rpm as my DA100 also on pipes but again the DA85 is brand new engine. We need to experiment more to find pipe length and prop combination. On muffler the throttle was very, very smooth as you will see at the video and the vibration is very smooth, surprising smooth!
Mounting the engine is very simple and very small changes need it.
We have a video. Actually we had a nice weather break here in OH and I was being able to do some flights. I did have a lot of fun and I can see this airplane doing things that before where just a dream or a wish!

I will post (or Reza) the video and later we are coming with instruction on how to mount the engine and exhaust system.

I like the fact of having more options. Both options of 100cc or 85cc are good. Is always nice to have more choices or experiment somthing new.

I am just back from AMA show. I want to thank you all people stopping at our booth. We had a great time.

Thank you.

Quique
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
shakes268

Thanks Quique! I can't wait to see the video.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Good to hear. Hope to see info and a video of the 85 on a tuned pipe with the python soon as you can.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
AQA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: galaxyrpv.com

So I guess the 3W engine is 2 pounds heavier that a DA even though the published weight for both of their engines on their websites is identical.
Helo.
DA-100 with ignition 2800 g.
3W 106 with ignition 3050 g.

3w is 250 g heavyer.

Have fun.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Hooked-On-RC

Well if you are planning on using stock mufflers with either engine you have to factor the weights of the mufflers into the equation as well. If the 3W mufflers are heavier than the DA mufflers then that weight would be ahead of the CG as well causing a need to increase the tail weight.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Rezagh

Hi Guys,

Wow we had a blast at AMA show in Califronia. Thanks to all who came. We sold many airplanes and shook hands and took pictures with many of you.
I really want to thank all of you and those who visited us and chose us to buy their aircraft from.

Video is 160 MB. My bandwidth is limited as well. I suggest that you save it to your computer and watch it rather watching it live multiple times or you will break my pocket LOL

www.RCModelAviator.com/qqvideos/QQDA85.wmv

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy it
Reza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.