Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Need help first racer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Canardman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help first racer.

I picked up a Midget Mustang this weekend. It has a fiberglass fuse and foam core wings (sheeted and covered in poly.) Very nice build, someone put some love into it. I would like to finish this in a worthy fashion. Now my questions are these:
1. the wing is a solid piece at this point. How do I run my servo wire through it?
2. Where can I find a rear exhaust .40 size engine to run this?
3. If I were to race this... where can I find what class this is in.. and rules for this class?
4. What are common mistakes when building a pylon racer?
5. What brand of kit might this be?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help first racer.

A couple pictures would be helpfull??

Not a lot of rear exhaust 40's out there anymore. Jett and YS come to mind.

Not aware of ANY standard class (other than "run what you brung") that it would be legal in.

Common mistakes. Cheap Servos, Flutter, To heavy.

I have no idea without more info on the kit.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Canardman

A couple pictures would be helpfull??

Old 01-19-2008, 10:14 PM
sahartman21

I have some construction photos and instructions on a Q-40 Napier. If you are interested, send me an email to sahartman21athotmail.com and I will send a zipped file with them. It will show how to install ailerons and radio.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a Jerry Small Midget Mustang from around '85 or so.

The worst part of the constuction is finished, everything glassed and ready to finish final assembly. On the wing, the next step is to cut out the ailerons. Typically they start about 7" from the wings center and should be 11" long. Cut them parallel to the fuselage center line and 1/4" to 3/8" back from the wing sheeting. Usually the trailing edge stock was somewhere around 1.75 to 2" wide. Cut down vertically at the hinge line.

The ailerons on these models were controled by torque tubes and a single servo. Cut a "v" shaped section out from the bottom side with the upright part of the torque rods about an inch apart at the center. You will epoxy the "v" section back in after the torque rods are in place. To get them to fit requires routing a channel in the bottom of the V so that the torque tubes are centered. Usually all of this was done after the 3/4 oz glass and before the center section glass. BTW, 3 layers of 2 oz cloth is much stronger than a single layer of 6 oz. That way each layer is smaller than the one just before and it gives a gradual reduction in strength so the wing is less likely to fail when it's lifting 160+ lbs. in a tight turn.

You will want to put a cockpit floor in, because Jerry's fuselage is a bit weak there without it, and a pilot looks good too. The servos will mount pretty much to the rear of the fuselage opening to balance. The elevator pushrod needs to be installed at the same time as the horizontal stab. The correct hole on the horn is usually the bottom one, because it doesn't take very much elevator to fly these.

A good sport engine is the YS-45 and pipe. It's good for about 140 and makes landing with power a piece of cake. If you go with a racing engine, then you better have at least a 600 ft runway and about 1/4 mile of flat area around the runway. Landing these deadstick is much tougher than a quickie or Q40. Any other questions?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Canardman

HighPlains,

Thanks for the info. Did some checking and found out that I will not be racing this plane. This type of racer is way outdated. Looks like it will just be a nice rocket to play with. I'll post more questions as I have them... I'm sure there will be many
Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
daven

That looks great, and yes Formula 1 has been dead for about 10 years.

The hard parts of building are done, should be a great sport plane, try to keep it light.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the party is long over. Depending on engine, you can dial the speed from 140 mph with a YS-45 up to 200 (coming out of a slight dive) with a racing nitro motor. Of course the latter is going to cost a lot more for plugs and fuel.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM
THRL-CKER

Hey Canard man looks like you fly at "Wings for Christ" If you want to race they are starting a club 40 race group at HOTMAC, several clubs envolved all across TX.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Canardman

Ok, started assembling this thing. Picked up the servos for the wing yesterday. Decided to go with Hitec hs125mg low profile servos. With the wing being so narrow, had to find something that would fit. Got the tail all put together and epoxied in. Now I am on the hunt for an engine. Need a .40 glow rear exhaust engine. I would also like throttle control on the carb.

Jim, Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Jim Duda

Canard - come to the Waco HOTMAC field tomorrow (Sat, Mar 1) anytime from 9:00 - 3:00. We are having a "practice race" with some entry pylon racers and you can get to know some nice folks.

Bring your plane and I'll help answer some of your build questions. I built a few "back in the day".

Jim Duda

(look for a white bearded guy with a wheeled walker around planes with 2w on the wings)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35914.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	891585