Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

I did a similar jig last winter when I mounted the upper center section. That was dreaded task #1 but I survived. Now I am mounting the four wing panels to the center sections, fitting the interplane struts and rigging wires, and setting the panel's incidence. In the words of Chuck Yeager, "God, dont let me ____ this up."
Old 12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have total confidence that it'll work out for you.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM
rabacon

Ok Ken and Kevin here goes. I downloaded the pic software and have the images to <60kb. Lets see if this works. The photo of the airframe is the fuse and framed up wings awaiting rigging. The close ups are for Kevin showing what I think I did wrong(3 times!) and the last one that I hope I got right(epihany).
Attached Images      
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
rabacon

Well look at that it works. Ok, no names on the pics. Let me clarify. On the close ups the first two from the left are the right way and the last two, RH side and bottom, are wrong. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Big_Bird

OK the photos work but they don't show up large enough when I click on them. Now that we know that it works let's dial them in. Is yours a 2 mega pixel camera or what? When I downsize the photos I use 800 x 600. If the photos are not too large to start with then RCU will downsize them to the proper size for display. Give it another shot, you are doing good.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 PM
rabacon

yep the big ole duece megapixel. I saw that and was wondering why they wouldnt open up larger. will try again here.

okay, that wont work as I tried to upsize from the resize and it looks like doo doo. I will take some pics with the wifes better camera and try again tomorrow. Baby steps, baby steps.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rabacon,

Another program to try is Photo Razor by Stormdance http://www.stormdance.net/ . Down load Photo Razor (its free). Once installed it will reduce a 2+MB jpg photo to less than 100k which works great here on RCU (on dial up at least). You can do one photo or a whole file at once and set the size and quality (I use the default) and the resized photos will be placed in a sub folder with the photo name preceeded with a small "m". Its quick and easy. Example a 2.92 MB (2592 x 1944) JPEG photo was reduced to 71.9kb (600 x 450) and uploads on RCU just fine and opens to a nice viewing size.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM
rabacon

John, thanks for the link. Will give it a try.
Roger
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
rabacon

Progress!! Got both lower wings mounted. I have a monoplane now, 1/2 way there. Not near as difficult as I was making it. Incidence is good as is dihedral. Right wing is 1/8" further back than the left when I measure tail to tip on both wings. Not much I can do so I think I will live with it. Brass strut fittings took some tweaking to get the angles correct for the landing wires but all in all I am happy. Going to finish sand both lower wings before I mount the top wings. The dihedral guages on the plans to set the root ribs were right on the money. G. Allen plans are great. After top wings are in I will final install the aileron linkages and its time for covering and detailing. I am getting to the fun part now and unlike projects in the past I have all winter to detail and "pimp my ride". Usually at the end of the winter I am just getting to this part and am so tired of the build I decide against some fun details so I can fly it. Will post some pics this weekend with a better camera. Merry Christmas guys! Roger
Old 12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Big_Bird

That sounds super Roger. Great progress. I had a rude awakening when going from Allen plans to Pepino plans for the Waco. I'll have to remember that phrase "pimp my ride". Be sure to put the fun details in sooner or later.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get the better camera Im still not clear on the wing root treatment Roger and would appreciate the ability to blow the pics up.
.Came down with a really rotton cold too and havent touched the model in a week,so you are well ahead of me at this point .
Going to a family Xmas shindig in Toronto next week (25 or so members from four generations travelling from The Artic circle,Brazil, California,Quebec Ontario,British Columbia etc................Merry Xmas to all) too so I wont be serioulsy building again until the new year ,but then watch out...............
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM
rabacon

Kevin, hope you shake the bug soon, rotten luck around the holidays to be sick. I will shoot some better pics this weekend so you can see this more clearly. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Roger.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
rabacon

Hey guys, finished rigging the wings today. All I can say is that was about the most tedious task yet on this model. I found the interplanes key in maintaining the incidence on the wings. I set the lower wing incidence with blocks and pinned them solidly, then assembled the interplanes and set the upper wing at the same time. Once the interplane x-braces are in its all locked in. Should be smooth sailing from here on out. Plan on covering and adding surface detail to the wings this week so I can put them aside and start doing the final bits on the fuse. Kevin, I will try and get some better pics up this week as well. Hope all is well with you all. Roger
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Big_Bird

Roger, great to here the update. Yes, rigging the wings is a time consuming project. At least, you only have to do it once.

Do you plan to leave the wings together, like I did, for transportation? It sure saves a lot of time in assembly at the field. Looking forward to some new photos.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM
rabacon

Havent quite decided yet on the transport issue of the wings. I saw how you did it and I planned to do same but when I installed my wing studs I installed per plans and now dont have the studs in the wing to slide a brace onto like you did. Will see as the flying season progresses if the set up time irritates me enough to rig a transport brace.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Vermilioncliffs

I just received my 1/3 scale short kit from Arizona models. I have waited for this for some time and am excited about this site. As I have looked over the plans I realized that short means exactly that. Do any of you have a list of additional building materials, etc. that would save me the the trouble of having to do a "takeoff" to build the list? I would like to order the necessary balsa, etc. all at once as the nearest hobby shop is miles and miles away. Also I have been really thrilled to see the pics, etc. already posted and would like to see any new that are available.

I am a 70+ guy that built models in my youth. I took up RC three years ago and can't hardly get enough.I find I continually have more questions than answers and would appreciate any advice I can get. I really don't have a club available so simulatin' turns out to be stimulatin". After that it's just try and try until it works....
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Big_Bird

Well hi name goes here congratulations on getting the short kit. Welcome to RCU and to this thread. I am totally crazy about my Jungie and I'm sure you will be also.

I too am a senior citizen, 65, and have been building and flying RC airplanes since 1967. I built 2 of the 1/3 scale Jungmeisters. I never made a parts list since Lone Star Models was so close by. Since they were destroyed by fire I will have to order my balsa in the future. I think you will find plenty of answers to your questions here.

Here is one little tip. Cut out as much of the plane as possible before starting construction. As an example, there are a lot of little cross braces on the fuselage sides. Number these braces on the plans and make 2 each, numbering each one. The fuselage construction will go a lot faster if you do. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98017.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	857389  
Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: rabacon

Havent quite decided yet on the transport issue of the wings. I saw how you did it and I planned to do same but when I installed my wing studs I installed per plans and now dont have the studs in the wing to slide a brace onto like you did. Will see as the flying season progresses if the set up time irritates me enough to rig a transport brace.
Roger, I had missed seeing this post. You could glue 4 dowels into the H brace. Slip the wings out, with help, and plug the H brace into the wing panels.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Thanks Ken...I can see the merit of your sug. and I"ll follow suit..Have a good day! Thanks..Kirt
Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
kevin mcgrath

Im afraid I have to ask more questions fellows.Im hung up on the method of mounting the lower wing panels to the centre section.
I am assuming the brass fittings that mount to the centre section are there to hold the wing panels in place .There is reference to gluing a 1/8x1/2" ply strip to the root rib of the wing panel.Is this strip horizontal and glued to the spars? Are the blocks with blind nuts in turn glued to the strip to match up with the brass CS fittings ?If so are the wings held in place by coming up from underneath with a 4/40 bolt through the brass fitting and into the blind nut?
Thanks in advance ..........Kevin
Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Big_Bird

Kevin........as usual, I didn't make enough photos. There is always that one photo which I wish I had made before the covering went on. If you look at the third photo, it shows the ply piece glued below the spars and to the outboard rib. There are two blocks on top of the strip which have a 6-32 T nut in each. I also used 6-32 T nuts in the top wing instead of the wood screw. It looks like both top and bottom wings are made alike in this respect.

The first two photos show the wing center section brass (aluminum in mine) attached to the center section spars.

The fourth photo shows the bottom wing panel.

Kevin, you and Roger need to welcome Kirt on board. I'm sure he will need to ask you guys (or y'all as we say it in Texas) some questions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45537.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	857707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40354.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	857708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33055.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	857709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44668.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	857710  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
kevin mcgrath

Thanks Ken....Any particular reason the ply 1/8x1/2 strip doesnt go all the way to the TE of the wing panel?

Welcome aboard Kirt.I am another senior citizen aged 66 and a life long modeler and in R/C since the late 60s.I have found this project to be challenging especially since I didnt use the short kit or the fibreglass cowl but it is starting to look like an airplane now.
I didnt bother with a materials list either since I keep a stock of wood on hand since I normally have more than one project on the go at one time.I have had very good service and quality from Balsa USA over the years and they inventory all the balsa,bass wood,ply,wire ,and general building supplies too that you will need for your project.........try them......BTW they also carry the covering that both Ken and I used on our models ...........Good luck and feel free to ask any questions that arise..
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
rabacon

Hey guys, just dug out from under the dust in my shop and found new posts. Welcome to the thread, Kirt!
Ken, what you suggested for the wing transport brace is going to be my default. Should work well.
Kevin, sorry about not getting any new pics up, especially of the root retainer strip on the wing where you are at. Your description of your understanding is right on. I did extend my 1x8 by 1x2 ply strip from LE to TE and my blocks are between the strip and the brass tab. Yes, the bolts go into the wing from the bottom. I used #4 socket head woodscrews instead of blind nuts. I drill the holes, wax the screw and drive it. Wax acts like a lubricant as the friction melts the wax, then when it cools it acts like a thread locker. My pics of this area are on my club website now and are larger than the ones here so that may help.

Kirt, I posted a wood and material list on my clubs website. Here is the link.
http://www.chainolakeseagles.com/mod...viewtopic&t=50

register and log in and you will get access to all the pics from my build if you like.

Oh, and you guys all have 20 years on me and Im still working for the man. I do get to retire from the armed forces reserves(22years) in May so does that count for some status in the old model builder dudes club???

I am covering and detailing now, cannot wait till Spring.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: kevin mcgrath

Thanks Ken....Any particular reason the ply 1/8x1/2 strip doesn't go all the way to the TE of the wing panel?
Kevin, I think the reason is that, due to the curvature of the rib, you would have bend the ply against the grain and you know how hard that would be. With as much flying as I have done with the Jungie, it is obvious that it doesn't need to go to the trailing edge.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Hi Kevin,

In response to your retirement question. I don't see how you can retire from the military as we will definitely be needing you in Iraq for a few more years. Thanks for the info but dementia must be catching up to me. I logged into your club website and immediately was lost. Can you give me specific direction to the Jungmeister parts list after I am logged in? Thanks for the welcome and if I ever get far enough along I will always be glad to help out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.