Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Painting

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting

Time to paint the cowl, canopy and landing gear. I have had a hard time finding a link on how you guys do those beautiful paint jobs. Also have any of you tried Nelson paints - they are water based. I have heard good reports and I sure would rather not work with toxic chemicals. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Painting

There is a lot of good painters out there and each has his own method and brand they like but one thing we would agree on is that a good paint job is not cheap. I don't care what any body says but a good paint job is going to cost you, that's why I usually buy the paint and as long as I have paint left I use the same colors but vary the sheme. Is the only way I can justify the expense.

Now with that said you can buy all the materials a pro uses and the results will not be the same, it's all about practice. I've had good results with dupont chroma base and will continue to use it, the average paint job cost me about $350.00 worth of paints but that's usually enough paint to do two to three 40% planes. The problem is that there is usually a minimum amount of paint you can buy, usually a pint. If it's a more basic color such as black you can usually buy a half pint.

I've never used nelson paints but know a few guys that have used them and they match well.

Albert
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I tried the Nelson paints awhile back, but cant say I'd recommend them. I had color match problems with almost every color...(orange, true red, royal blue, and even white)....also they just don't have the "wet" look of a good automotive type paint....
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Bobt2
My Feedback: (4)

i have also used the nelson paints, some of the color matches were off, others right on. when i started using it i hated it. after a while i got the hang of using it. it takes a learning curve to get it right but it was worth it. no more smells, it loves humidity and the finish has shown no cracking after a year of hard use on 2 cardens. i did clear coat the final finish for a better shine i will be ordering more for my new 300
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
5150flyer

After a lot of research and input, I got this spray gun.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...CATMiniJet.htm

I will also be trying Nelson paints and will be back with a full report. In the end, I don't want to be spraying paint with known cancer causing agents even if it doesn't look as good. The pros can do it since they have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on safety gear. Even getting some of that "automotive paint" on your skin is a bad deal.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Bobt2

if you go to the carden site, the 2nd extra 300 is my son rob.thats nelson paint.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 AM
5150flyer

ORIGINAL: Bobt2

if you go to the carden site, the 2nd extra 300 is my son rob.thats nelson paint.
Beautiful job, I can only hope that my Cuda will look as good.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Bobt2

the one thing i found, if spraying,you need to thin a lot more than the instructions call for to get nice flow out.