Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

HELP! K&S 600cc F3A fuel tank needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

HELP! K&S 600cc F3A fuel tank needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 AM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! K&S 600cc F3A fuel tank needed

Dear fellow pattern pilots,

I'm trying to source a K&S 600cc F3A fuel tank (K&S#981) for my new Aries 07, but have tried several different sources without success. If you know of a supplier that stocks this tank please let me know.

[link=http://www.ks-j.net/kands/AutoMakePage/Image_Big/981.jpg]http://www.ks-j.net/kands/AutoMakePage/Image_Big/981.jpg[/link]

Many thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 AM
elson

Default RE: HELP! K&S 600cc F3A fuel tank needed

www.rcjapan.net
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Sam Johnson has been getting these tanks for the Oxai models here in the USA. They are expensive about $25 each. I believe he has been getting them in Bulk from the K+S importer in the USA.

Sam is not in the business of selling fuel tanks, he only carries enough to handle the models he has at the time. Since the tanks are so expensive many have been using the tettra tanks. The modification to the formers is pretty minor. The Tettra 20oz tank is about 1/32" top and bottom (1/16" total)too tall for the slot and about 1/4 " each side more narrow than the K+S. What I have done is used a dremel tool and opened the hole up vertically to accept the tank, then used small 1/4 balsa strips to capture it side to side.

Below is a picture I sketched up. The red crosshatch needs to be removed to fit the tettra tank, then the Green crosshatch is filled in and the tank fits. I actually just glue the 1/4 x 1/4 balsa stick on the front or rear of the former, and they keep the tank from shifting too much side to side. The 1/4 balsa is a better surface than the ply to prevent chaffing on the tank from vibration. We line the former with fuel tubing and this helps but the balsa is a better choice. Its light and is not really a structurally loaded member.

This drawing done a couple years ago when folks were concerned about switching to a tank that was available. Compared ot the K+S which is not readily available. The changes are very flight...it tkes about 5mins of work and its a done deal.

Troy Newman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35414.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	859730  
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks elson, have sent them an e-mail.

Thanks Troy, a nice informative answer as ever. I really like the K&S tanks however since they have the feature you described in another thread with the very soft fuel tubing for the clunk, which will allow the clunk to move very freely around inside the tank. Worked brilliantly in my Zeque last year with a DZ160.

Thanks again.