Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What boat for a boating noob

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What boat for a boating noob

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
!jAsOfRaW!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boat for a boating noob

Hi,
I want to get into boating. Ive been into nitro cars for a bit so i would like a nitro boat. I want it to go fast and good for a beginner and $$$$. Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: What boat for a boating noob

Well, since the first of anything is seldom the 'best' of anything, I think your first boat ought'a be one that you like (looks, price, etc, etc.). It isn't going to be the fastest thing around no matter what it is, since there's a sort of 'steep' learning curve in learning to handle a boat. Nothing particularly 'mysterious' about it, just learning new reactions mostly (and all them 'buzz words' for those nautical thingys), ain't no brakes on them boats!
Sticking to a 'name brand' is sort of a good idea, at least until you get a general idea of how things work, sort of.
Since you're talking 'nitro', you are talking about a "go fast" kind of boat. That means that learning to go slower till you know what you are doing is going to be the hardest part. Hope you like fixing things.
The whole idea is to have fun, so pick something you think you'll have fun with! Nothing says you can't change it later.
- 'Doc
Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
dbm0011

JasofRaw....
sent you en email..
I have an Aeromarine Conquest Cat w/ Full Mod G260 - Mod by Butch the Boat Man
contact me and I will send you some pics
[email protected]
Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
codtongue

check out the nitro speed forum, they have just about every rtr covered in there, plus you'll get to see the good and bad of each one,
plus how to hop them all up for more performance, there are some treads in there that go on and on. great reading and learning.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Yo! Team Green
My Feedback: (1)

I will go out on a limb here and make a specific recommendation. Based on my personal experience, and since you want nitro, I would recommend the Aquacraft Miss Vegas. For me it started out as a simple, fun, reliable out-of-the-box 30 mph boat that taught me many things about boat setup (strut depth, balance, wing incidence, turn fin angle, etc etc). With a minimal $$$ investment - about $66 so far - it has developed into a 40+ mph boat that is an absolute BLAST to run. It's a good-looking boat (to me) and spectators can identify with it because they've seen boats like this on the telly.

It's very reasonably priced. You WILL want to race at some point (What do you call two boats on a pond ? - A race.) and if you have friends that are going to get involved, you all start out with the same boat. AND... ALL of the info you need to make it fast is in this forum.

Here in the Northwest USA, The vegas has spawned a whole new racing class.
Just my humble opinion.... >Thom
Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest either the Nitro Hammer or the Shockwave 36.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Brikernic

My first Nitro/First boat was the Aquacraft Supervee 27 nitro. Great boat but i think the hardest thing to accomplish was keeping the speed down to a controlable level (Hard for me because when i thought the water was calm enough it really wasn't). Once i learned that and how to keep a clutchless boat running once you launch it,I fell in Love with the hobby!