Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Kirt, log in and go to forums, then build threads, the parts listing is on BU133 build #2.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Roger, now that I'm an official member, congrats on a nice build thread and parts list.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin,Thanks for the quick turaround. I guess my dementia isn't so bad after all. I figured out how to make the link work...I ran the list off and am ready to order.This internet stuff is pretty cool, particularly for somebody as far out in the sticks as I am.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: Vermilioncliffs

Kevin,Thanks for the quick turaround. I guess my dementia isn't so bad after all. I figured out how to make the link work...I ran the list off and am ready to order.This internet stuff is pretty cool, particularly for somebody as far out in the sticks as I am.
Kirt, that was Roger, not Kevin. I've become about as addicted to the internet as RC, especially in these cold months.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
rabacon

Thanks Ken, if youre ever out in the heartland look us up. Kirt, yeah the internet has been a boon to modelers and the sharing of skills. These guys are great around here. Good luck with your Bucker, look forward to seeing it develope.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM
rabacon

No problem, Im confused with Kevin Bacon all the time, wish my bank account was too.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
rabacon

Kirt, dont order the entire list I have on that site. I didnt use the short kit so that list is for a full kit cut.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Thanks Kevin..
I sorta figured that out. Do you have any other balsa supplier since Lone Star burned down?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
rabacon

Balsa USA is my back up.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Vermilioncliffs

I have been reviewing the thread as I wait for my supplemental materials to begin assembling my short kit Jungmeister. I really appreciate all the years of contributions. I feel I will be able to build this thing and enjoy my time doing it rather than being frustrated, as I think I would be without this site....Thanks Again!

One question that keeps coming to mind: Has anyone made their own muffler that uses the dummy on the Jungmeister cowling. That sounds kinda neat to me. Any ideas or comments? Thanks, Kirt
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
rabacon

I can visualize it but I dont have the metal fab and welding skills or the tools to fab one. My thoughts are something that would be built like the Krause racing pipes we used to put on our 2s dirt bikes. Split the FG cowl at the bottomto slide over the header and your done.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Big_Bird

Kirt, here are a couple of photos of my much modified Bisson side mounted muffler. I didn't want to cut a hole in the cowl for the muffler. I accomplished this by slicing the bottom off and having some custom welding done. The most important thing is to find a skilled welder with an interest in the project. I found one here in Arlington and he does great work. If you go to the Bisson web site and look at the original muffler you can see just how much was done.

After the work on my muffler was initially done I realized that the sound of the straight pipe coming out of the muffler was just too harsh. I cut one of the necked down tips off of the part that I had removed and had him weld it on to the pipe. This made the sound acceptable. As a suggestion, you might be able to take the same muffler and have the exhaust pipe welded on the front side and use some of the curved header pipes to make what you want. A word of caution, the Bisson muffler uses very thin aluminum so reinforcing is necessary. I don't think you want to run a straight pipe without muffling because you probably wouldn't be allowed to fly at most fields.

Here are a few photos of the welding that ASIL Custom Welding did for a friend of mine on a KI-84 scale exhaust system used on a Brison 4.8 twin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82303.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	866166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68098.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	866167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96793.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	866168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29827.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	866169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57791.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	866170  
Old 01-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Hi Guys, Thanks for the suggestions. As to noise pollution, I'm not sure that my part of the country has ever heard of such sophisticated considerations. I usually fly on a seldom used highway that eventually skirts the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I'm usually OK as long as the wind doesn't change and I watch for dump trucks. On occasion I venture down and force the guys in the St. George, UT club to associate with me.
Anyway, thanks for the photos and comments. This is really neat, being able to finally share building comments with somebody. Thanks, Kirt...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Hi Ken,
Just a post script. The ideal of modifying an existing muffler would probably work. Believe it or not, we have a premier manfacturer of aluminum boats right here in the middle of the southwest desert. They are always happy to have something different to do. Kirt
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
rabacon

Oh to be able to run straight headers on my models, tis but a dream here. We have people who complain about the smell of farms after they move up here from the Chi-town.

Quick update on mine. Wings are covered, begining stitch and tape tonight then on to the fuse. Need to paint the cockpit area before I cover the fuse. Its been alot of fun spending the last few weeks on details like the windscreen(pain in the butt), crash pad, turtledeck pad, fuel guage, throttle quadrant, pitot tube, wing walk, fender mud flaps, and wing root fairings, etc. I now have a pile of little components awaiting installation on the model. My shop is cluttered with Bucker parts and I have to be carefull where I step. Once the fuse is covered I can do the nose panels,inspection covers, and louvers. My home computer is down right now but when it gets up I will post some pics. The end is near!!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Big_Bird

Kirt, in a way you are lucky not to have to deal with noise pollution. At all of the flyins that I participate in in Texas they do require some type of muffler. I like some noise but I have my limits. I used to have a friend who flew a Ziroli Corsair with a Sachs 3.7 cu-in engine. His exhaust was a 3" tube straight out of the cowl. WOW what a racket.

Roger, sounds like great progress. Detailing can be a lot of fun but very time consuming. It's been several months since I flew my Jungie. I'm waiting for better weather.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
CharlieK

Hi Guys,
I am almost back to the Bucker - another week or so I hope. There is an article by Emil Agosta in the December 1982 Model Aviation mag on how to make a scale exhaust system. It looks like it would be somewhat difficult to make but look better than a couple of pipes out of the bottom of the cowl. He says you can make it of aluminum or steel, with the aluminum being easier to work.
Charliek
Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Vermilioncliffs

Hi Charlie,

I'm surprised you found a way out of the snow up there in Laramie to talk airplanes. Thanks for the custom muffler info. I'll search that out.
Kirt
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
rabacon

Until mine is a proven flyer I am using the stock Zenoah exhaust on the G62 and it exits the cowl through a blister at the 5 o'clock position. Sticks out about a 1/2 inch. I can always get another cowl if find myself so motivated to do a functioning scale exhaust.

Ken, any insight as to how you made your dummy exhuast? I will be building that detail next. thanks, Roger.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know if any of you frequent www.rcscalebuilder.com
They are offering a walkaround of Meister LG 01 involving >150 images on disc for $15 mail paid.
This is the color scheme Im going to use and that Big Bird used on his first effort,but it should be great for details too..........Kevin
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Big_Bird

Kevin, that sounds like a bargan. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you 17 for free from Duxford.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
rabacon

Ken, how did you fab your dummy exhaust? I am 99% complete with covering, stitching and taping. Have time between coats of polycrylic to start on some of the last exterior details while I contemplate a finishing scheme. Plans call for balsa but it seems the pipe and its location would make a balsa unit very prone to being crunched. Any insight into how yours is holding up and how you did it is appreciated. thanks, Roger.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Big_Bird

Roger, here is the best that I can remember. It's almost all balsa and has held up very well. The diameter of the main pipe is 1". The main part is made of three pieces, the exhaust bell, the main pipe, and the header. Big chunks were sawed out and sanded to shape. I then glued these together and shaped some more. I hollowed out the bell and painted it flat black. This all didn't take as long as you might think. The scoop was made from a soda can and small nails simulated the rivets. The heater pipe is also balsa. Down the center of the heater pipe is a piece of 1/8" steel rod to reinforce it. I glued a piece of 3/8" tubing in the fuselage where the heater pipe is inserted. When I put the cowl on I put a little Zap-a-dap-a-goo in the tube and insert the heater pipe. Of course, I have to re-glue it every time I take the cowl off and put it back on. Fortunately this doesn't happen very often. The header is screwed on to the cowl with 2 #10 sheet metal screws. A little glue was used there also.

In most of the photos of Jungmeisters the exhaust pipe is black. John had his fabricated from stainless steel so that it wouldn't rust out so quickly.

I made this photo a little while ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79925.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	877825  
Old 02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
rabacon

Thanks Ken, sounds like that will work well. Now just waiting for better weather so I can start painting. still havent settled on a scheme but I have time yet. Roger.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
rabacon

In my quest to finally settle on a finishing scheme I came across some great resources for anyone doing a Bucker. The last link is the one I have chosen as it is a C model, great history, and is something I think I can pull off. Liesel Bach's 1936 Bu133C. Wadiya think, guys?

http://www.bueckershop.com/eng/shop/index.php

http://www.buecker-museum.de/geschic...l01/133_01.htm

http://www.buecker-museum.de/

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/o/141/2/0/5

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.