Reload this Page >

My 1`st Scratch Built Airboat,,EVER !!

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

My 1`st Scratch Built Airboat,,EVER !!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 1`st Scratch Built Airboat,,EVER !!

Hi dad..Thanks.But, I think I`ve got a better design now, and it will be lighter also,Just got`ta Exa-Qute ***..LOL ..

Has Anybody Seen Aluminum Welding/Soldering/Brazing, with a miniature Butane Torch before.?? Want to see it done?, as a mini Tutorial?,Here ? No Mig,(got one) Tig, Arc machine,Oxy/Acet torches,or fancy equipment. Let me Know,otherwise I`ll," Just Git`er dun" tonight..LOL I`m havin a Kaffee ,and Browsing for some Balancing info,Such as,Done with the Fuel Tank, Full or Empty? so I`ll be Round'Bouts here, for a little while..[8D] Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
jesupslanding

i think u shulda made it a pusher .. just my opinon
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
D Bronk

Hey Ya...Being a Pusher,is one of those optional adjustments . Un-Bolt a few things, turn stuff around 180',and bolt everything back on..But,I don`t know if there`s any advantage to that, except for looking a little more scale-ish..
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 AM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

Hi dad..Thanks.But, I think I`ve got a better design now, and it will be lighter also,Just got`ta Exa-Qute ***..LOL ..

Has Anybody Seen Aluminum Welding/Soldering/Brazing, with a miniature Butane Torch before.?? Want to see it done?, as a mini Tutorial?,Here ? No Mig,(got one) Tig, Arc machine,Oxy/Acet torches,or fancy equipment. Let me Know,otherwise I`ll," Just Git`er dun" tonight..LOL I`m havin a Kaffee ,and Browsing for some Balancing info,Such as,Done with the Fuel Tank, Full or Empty? so I`ll be Round'Bouts here, for a little while..[8D] Dave

seen it done.....NOPE. Want to see it done? YUP! I love a good tutorial.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 AM
D Bronk

Hi Crispy..I`ve been Screwing around with a Brand new ,mini Butane torch.That I bought a couple weeks ago. A $4.00 Tool .The neighbor Has one and it works Great,That`s why I bought this one ..I Managed to do a Sample joint,and do a Break test, and,now This torch is acting Haywire..I can`t get the Flame set right now.I filled it from a New Can of Butane, and totally forgot about purging out a New fuel Tank.So ,I have to Bleed out all the fuel, and Fill it again correctly..But Yes, I`ll take pics, and Show/Tell how the Average Guy can do this type of job for himself..Tommorow`s(today) a new day, and I`ll get this straightened out then..Have a good one..D.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 AM
D Bronk

..Actually here`s a pic of what I`m dealing with.I have some parts setup on the Boat to join, and the torch ,you can see the Flame will not adjust to a nice , sharp, neutral flame as needed..Worse comes to worse, I`ll use a propane torch (plumbers type). the thing is I will have to remove parts from the Boat because I don`t want to take a Chance of Delaminating other Bonded parts due to The Heat ,Like what I did Yesterday..LOL Ohh Good..The tank is nearly empty now ..Maybe I`ll fill it properly ( so that I don`t do, exactly the same thing again tommorow [&:]), get it working,and ready for when I wake up..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84654.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	866837  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
mrfixitwhite

nice would love to see how u do ali brazing- i use the HTS-2000 ali brazing rods with a MAPP gas canister on a plumbers torch- gets hot enough to do brass braizing as well
cost a fair bit for 5 rods but they do a fair few jobs-although not as easy as the tutorial vids lol[&:]
oh and good luck on the build!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
D Bronk

Hi all .Finaly got my torch back in action.All the screwing around, I did with it,Dump out the refillable tank a bunch of times,Taking the Torch apart & Cleaning a Torch that didn`t need cleaning a couple times ,Buying a different Can of fuel..And it was none of the above that was wrong..It was a Diffuser tip, that sits in the Nozzle infront of a Jet. This thing actually Fell out of the Torch, by Gravity..I found the problem this afternoon,it was laying on the floor..I seen it and picked it up,examined it..It looks like a Drive gear that is used on a 500 electric motor,except the teeth are not cut completely through from edge ,to edge..I haven`t played with an electric motor of that size since the late 1980`s...So I knew, it had to be from this Micro-Torch..I pushed it back in to it`s place, and it instantly worked properly and I could adjust the flame again..Thing is, it will fall out again,but at least I can still use it ,untill I can return it for an exchange unit..At least I know now what to watch out for.[&:] I guess for a $4.00 tool, a guy can`t expect too much ..Anyway I tried using a Plumbers propane Torch but for what I`m working on it`s too BIG. I need the persicion flame of the Micro Torch..

..I see mrfixitwhite is famioiar with this type of work.. Here is some scans of the Package for the rods that I`m using..
and a few links to some rod Websites I haven`t tried them but it appears that they are the same Rod as what I`m using here..So,I can`t vouch for those Brands as being any good..

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/more_info.asp

http://durafix.com/index.html

..The Rods I`m using are supplied by Forney Welding products.The folks here in north America should recognize the Brand Name..Price is about $ 10.00 (can`t remember exactly) for the package of 8 @ 1/8" rods ...The instructions are on those websites for their particular version of Aluminum Brazing Rod above..For the Forney Rods check the Pictures ,the instructions are there I follow those Instructions and I do a couple minor additional things/Steps ,and it seems to go OK for me, so why change a routine that`s succesful?

..I haven`t had a chance to actually do My job for the Boat yet today, but, I think I can start right after I finish this post..Some of the Parts are Extremely Thin,and are being joined to much Thicker parts..[X(] I`ll take pics and make an explanation on each of the pics as I go along,showing the Steps I take....

Name:	Qo40718.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	867415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70177.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	867416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93527.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	867417  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
D Bronk

..All-right finally have something to show.A couple pics of a "as is " finished Joints.The end result prior to a Finish grind,for Cosmetic appeal.The joint can be left "as is" also,that`s a decision left up to the person doing their own project.Next few posts will be about, how I get to this point..Most likely, will also mention a Few points about Metallurgy ,relating to what I`m doing here,and is something that I think the Average Joe, ought to know about Brazing Aluminum.. I`ll try to keep this as simple as possible, without sounding like I`m speaking to Children, or an Idiot (neither should be allowed to play with fire..LOL)..If you can Solder with a Torch,a little practice, and you can make good joints like this too.. ...Dave

Name:	Ki18175.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	867877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84336.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	867878  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
D Bronk

Start by Getting all the tools & materials together, wherever you decide you`ll be working.Missing from the pic#1, is a Roll of toilet paper. I use that because it is cheap,Handy,and with a White color you can see when the aluminum is Clean,when no more "Black" off color is transfered to the paper.. So, Clean your Parts (pic#2) .. A lot of Aluminum weld failures can be traced to Cleanling practice,not being done well enough..Also remember that Acetone is Flamable, so ,put your waste paper and the can of Acetone(lid on) A good distance away from your Lit Torch..

Name:	Zx72017.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	867888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32719.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	867889  
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 AM
D Bronk

.. getting into pic#1 about the Brush needed .I you look closely you`ll see that some of my parts have Black Crud on them..That`s due to me Thinking I had a Wooden Handle brush, of the correct type bristle at home, and realizing WRONG-O.It was a plastic handle.I didn`t contaminate the Welding area, so the Welds are fine.A wooden handle is best,a Tooth-Brush profile ,is probably the most appropriate for Hobby work..So step 1, of the instructions in the pic is where we are at. I don`t have pics of me actually doing it because I would need a 3`rd hand..

Name:	Mj24689.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	867897  
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 AM
D Bronk

I should mention Quickly about the Flame of the Torch..1`st pic. is from the other day after the Diffuser tip Fell out of my Mini torch. 2`nd pic is the correct look of the Flame..I did end up useing the Propane torch for the Thicker 1/8" Aluminum "Top Plate" to the Thick wall Round tube..I used the Micro Torch, to join the Thick wall Round tube, to the Thin Wall Square tube,and for all the Flame Brushing/Cleaning,and some tinning of the Parts..

Name:	Wu61298.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	867911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24659.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	867912  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 AM
D Bronk

To Step #2 ,of the instructions on the Package that My filler Rods came in. I had to set-up as is shown in Pic#2,&,#3 .I needed to have the Parts," Square " to each other, in both the Port to Starboard ,and, the Bow to Stern directions.. The center Sections of the upright tubes will be cut out to make 2 seperate components,But, they will be in perfect alignment when the Rudders are installed.Should result in,a Freely moving Rudder set-up,I hope..

Name:	Ca82980.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	867918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85601.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	867919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18686.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	867920  
Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
D Bronk

The 3 pics take you, to a finished Joint that should look like what`s shown in L.ast picture

Name:	Xv65600.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	868010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25461.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	868011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70982.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	868012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71825.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	868013  
Old 02-02-2008, 01:54 PM
D Bronk

.I think that`s it for now..

..I will have to Mention some Metalurgy later on, in Regards to Annealing and Quenching. The thin Wall Square Tubing,I think it`s K&S made, has gone from Soft, to near Dead soft(softer), from my Welding/Brazing Temperatures.I`ll have to do a bit of heat treating to Boot up the Temper again, to at least where it was before I got working on this Rudder mounting System.... If I think of any more tips for making an Aluminum joint with a single Gas Torch..I`ll add them, as I go along later..So ,That`s it for now...

..I`ve got to Try and Entertain my Nephew for a while, and it`s pretty cold outside, so, I think the Vortex will stay on its` Boat stand today..Have a good Day.[8D].Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 PM
crispyspa

[&:] SoOoOoooooo...you're going to leave us hanging between the brazing and annealing?

So to get this right...when you braze aluminum, it gets weaker/softer. somehow you need to harden the material back up. Is it done much the same way as steel hardening? Get it red hot, run it through a hot salt bath then cool quickly?

I would really enjoy a video of how the whole process is done, GET A THIRD HAND! LOL
Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

[&:] SoOoOoooooo...you're going to leave us hanging between the brazing and annealing?
.Yeah, you got it,still have more Brazing to do yet ..SoOoOoooooo,,,,,,,,,,Y`all come Back Now,Ya Here!! LOL

So to get this right...when you braze aluminum, it gets weaker/softer. somehow you need to harden the material back up. Is it done much the same way as steel hardening? Get it red hot, run it through a hot salt bath then cool quickly?
..Yep Yep.Something Like that.Plus,just like steel ,there`s more than one way to get the desired results,depending on what the Desired Results are..I`m going to only describe the Simplest way, to do it in your House, and for what I need to do

I would really enjoy a video of how the whole process is done, GET A THIRD HAND! LOL
Well, I`ll see ,what I can do about that.It Won`t be for a while though..Maybe with a Tri-pod for my Camera, and a day of editing and uploading I can get it done..

Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
D Bronk

..Well I had to take some Time ,to Get the Drawings in my Head for the rudder set-up, into Microsoft Paint and finally to a Scaled and printed Pattern to work from..Looking at the first Ruff Sketch, you can see what Kind of a Mess I got in my Head ?LOL With those Drawings out of the Way,I now have room to think.. LOL I still have a few more to make ,But..

Name:	Mk27166.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	870373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16161.gif
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	870374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98269.gif
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	870375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32130.gif
Views:	23
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	870376  
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
D Bronk

.. I`m at this point shown in pics..I`ll have Aluminum Brazing to do Next, and then some more parts to make, for this Contraption.. I think I have a Knack, for making things Really,Really, complicated ...LOL

Name:	Db84741.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	870428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27427.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	870429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84992.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	870430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19459.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	870431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26449.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	870432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo89638.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	870433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78912.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	870434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj32795.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	870435  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz49113.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	870436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd31944.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	870437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl55947.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	870438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk48952.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	870439  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM
dadkins

I tend to agree about the complicated statement.WOW ! the beauty is - when you build your next boat you can probably use your rudder stand on it, if this boat doesn't last or make the cut - which I think it will. Looks nice -keep up the good work.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
D Bronk

Thanks Dad..Don`t have anything for pics at the moment ,but later on, sometime today should have something to show again..I taught myself a few things with this build,that I wasn`t certain about..I`ve scratch-built models before ,but from other peoples Drawings,and giving my own twists to their designs.This Project, I did right from Ground Zero,From the Ideas to execution of the build..The thing is ,It could Still be a flop,I really don`t know yet..I am dying to find out ,and ,no Doubt about that.....This Boat is Sort of a, Test of Theory,for my upcoming Speed Runner build.I want to give that contest an Attempt also..That should be quite the experiance for me,and lots of Fun too..So have a good day People,Back later on..Dave
Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
D Bronk

..Well, I had a Bit of a Set-Back..Tried to improvise to correct, and found that I was going to cause myself more Grief and a Bigger Set-back in the Long Run..So I`ve had a bit of a delay..Will be working on The project through the weekend, and Hopefully will be able to Show, Where I`m at, and What the Problem was, with my little Build( self-inflicted [&o] ( not the member) )..While Stopped, I got started with the Contest Build. ...So I`ll try to update with pics( need to edit those for size) ,when I take My Coffee Breaks..Dave
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
crispyspa

Any progress D ?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Strankon

Airplane brake rotors make great ashtrays huh D