Reload this Page >

anyone remeber the Puddle Jumper?

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

anyone remeber the Puddle Jumper?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
RecklessCapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone remeber the Puddle Jumper?

quite a few years ago before I switched from RC modeling to custom car building

I built a kit that I had only ever seen once and bought it on a whim

I forget the company but it's called the Puddle jumper. it was ment to be .049 gas powered and either tethered or let run free

smooth bottom airboat with 2 wheels in the hull and one connected to the rudder ... I modified it for elect engine power (local pond rules.. the the cox black widow I had on it was insanely loud) and full RC. I worked in my Dad's custom autobody/fab shop for a few years while in school ... so we painted it too

this was in the neighborhood of 15 years ago ... the basic half decent 2ch ground radio was almost $300 ... I think all in total this boat cost me almost $900 to build and outfit one of the reasons I got out of it ... that and I got my license and well cars and racing were more fun (and sometimes cheaper!)

anyways... anyone remeber seeing one of these on the shelf??? (BTW.. the graphics are airbrushed.. not decals )

Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: anyone remeber the Puddle Jumper?

I think that it was Midwest Products that made the Puddle Jumper as they were a bigger company back then.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

They're not as uncommon as you might think . I picked one up about 7 months ago from a fellow from Georgia on EBAY for a mere $15.00 plu $10.00 to ship . ( although the motor was seized , it was still worth it )
I even got one of those COX air cars along with the COX dune buggy too [8D] ( not too great , both are tethered vehicles )
Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

They're not as uncommon as you might think . I picked one up about 7 months ago from a fellow from Georgia on EBAY for a mere $15.00 plu $10.00 to ship . ( although the motor was seized , it was still worth it )
I even got one of those COX air cars along with the COX dune buggy too [8D] ( not too great , both are tethered vehicles )
It`s probably (siezed)Just the Castor oil thickened Warm it up with some sort of heat source and she`ll move again.Take the plastic parts off..If it`s a Cox ,Don`t Force it by turning the Crank ,you`ll Stretch out the Piston and Con Rod Ball Joint..I like Cox Engines..

..The model Kit is a "Sterling" kit Here`s an old thread about it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1289698
Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM
RC MAD RAY

sterling models inc, puddle jumper 0.49
hi, i recently purchased one of theese from the usa from ebay.
i have basicly just finished building the kit after many evenings work at an hour here and there. apart from painting its complete.any suggestions on painting? as much as i wanted to go for the cox glow option, the mess and noise just persuaded me to go electric. gws brushless.09 size outrunner, gws 30amp speed controller, 1500mah 3cell lipo battery, 7x6 graupner prop. quite, powerfull and reliable.
saying this, i havent actuall tried it at all apart from making sure everything works ok, my god its got some push at full throttle !
all in all, a great classic well made kit, that i actually paid more in postage than for the kit itself, crazy ! i think its a rare, classic and different model that in a few years time will be a real gem for the grand chrildren.
i have also just purchased a sterling models Space Squirt Land Vehicle 0.49 if anyone out there has any info.again another fantastic kit that im just about to build that i think is alot more scarce than the puddle jumper. going to go for the glow option though this time. miss the mess and the noise !!!
rc mad ray !