Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

NiMh Batteries safe to use in Car?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NiMh Batteries safe to use in Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
RCHuman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMh Batteries safe to use in Car?

Kyosho Inferno GT Ferrari

I'm going to be breaking in my car today (got it yesterday) - so here is a newb question just to be safe

The manual says 1.5 V alkaline, but NiMh batteries are 1.2 V - either way it's going to cost a fortune in batteries (12 AA total) + (2 D) for the GlowPlug

1. Anyone had any problems using these battery types? I definitely want rechargeables to save on long term costs

2. Also is it safe to use Rechargeable D for the GlowPlug or should I just still with Alkaline

3. For anyone who uses this car what nitro fuel would you recommend mixture wise

The manual is pretty vague on the battery type other then "aa" alkaline and only gives warning about battery compartment partitions and reverse flow if the + head isn't long enough etc when using NiMh batteries

Thanks - everyone has to start somewhere so I'm looking forward to getting into Nitro

Old 02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: NiMh Batteries safe to use in Car?

4 x 1.5 (alcaline cells) = 6v

5 x 1.2 (NiMH pack) = 6v

where is the problem?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 PM
CBM Racing

Yeah, just replace the battery holder (supplied with car) with a 5 cell rechargeable pack. I use rechargeable batteries in transmitter and glow igniter as well. Works great and saves money in the long run. Use whatever brand of fuel available locally, I am happy with 20%nitro. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
cheeseclip

how would you change the pack in the transmitter? what would happen if you were to use the 1.2v cells?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Dan S

Nothing, Thats all I use.

Dan
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 AM
RCHuman

Reading up more on batteries it seems alkaline 1.5v doesn't actually hold that charge for very long and curves out towards the 1.2, 1.3 range wheras the NiMh will hold 1.2 for a longer rate.

I just wanted to make sure its getting enough juice to run properly. I never noticed that about batteries until after I had bought them since you expect AA to be consistent power output with other "AA" batteries.

No way to swap them in the transmitter as it has slots for 8 AA batteries and the Car has slot for 4.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
CBM Racing

Yeah, just buy aa rechargeables at walmart or radio shack for transmitter. They usually come in a pack of 4 just like regular aa. I'm not familiar with the car, but if it has standard radio gear in it, just unplug the battery holder from reciever or switch,and buy a 5 cell premade pack of rechargeables.