Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage question

Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
chopper22980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage question

Hey guy's im getting ready to get another truck.The problem is ive always been use to the tmaxx trucks.So now im looking into getting the savage x 4.6.Is it worth the money that I will be putting into it.I know with my tmaxx trucks crap would break all the time.I hear different opinions on the 2 about the durability of each.I have 2 tmaxx 3.3 which are very fast but break when I try to do any kind of real bashing with them.I know they all will break at some point.Ive also had big problems the traxxas motors blowing.Ive had to replace 2 of them within a year and I still need to get another.Broke them all in the correct way and never ran them hot.In every case the piston would snap.So does the savage motors hold up very well and can I do some good bashing with it?If so then I will get one this weekend.Can someone let me know the pro's and con's between the 2,thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
chopper22980

Default RE: savage question

Hmmm 14 hits and no reply's?Come on people you are killing me here lol.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: chopper22980

Hey guy's im getting ready to get another truck.The problem is ive always been use to the tmaxx trucks.So now im looking into getting the savage x 4.6.Is it worth the money that I will be putting into it.I know with my tmaxx trucks crap would break all the time.I hear different opinions on the 2 about the durability of each.I have 2 tmaxx 3.3 which are very fast but break when I try to do any kind of real bashing with them.I know they all will break at some point.Ive also had big problems the traxxas motors blowing.Ive had to replace 2 of them within a year and I still need to get another.Broke them all in the correct way and never ran them hot.In every case the piston would snap.So does the savage motors hold up very well and can I do some good bashing with it?If so then I will get one this weekend.Can someone let me know the pro's and con's between the 2,thanks.
The Savage is definitely a great basher...very very tough.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...djump-high.flv

Do that sorta thing all day long...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
djsnider77

I had tmaxx's too untill 3 weeks ago when I got my 1st savage x 4.6 and they are 1000% better and stronger than any tmaxx out there. I had mine out today doing back flips off a 6 ft ramp and the only thing that happen was my muffler come off. I'm a savage man for life now. Well I can put it this way to you I brought my 1st savage x 4.6 and less than a week later I went out and bought another Savage 4 life here. If you want go check out my photos of my 2 trucks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53288.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	877919  
Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
MTboy

Dj, I like the racer. Havent seen that before. How do you put those tires on? What all did you do to the racer?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
djsnider77

I got hot body shocks with green hpi springs 17mm nubz tires witch are a direct fit I took out the shock spacers but the thing you prolly notice is how low the body is setting and I'll post the pic of what I did to lower the body.The shock towers are all the way down and you can see where I cut into the body alittle to lower the body. I love this look and IMO it handles better now thats it alot lower to the ground. I added the 2nd pic to show you how much of a difference there is and to me its alot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15197.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	877978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29825.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	877979  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage is at least 4X tougher than a Maxx, I have both and like Dj said, I'm also a Savage man They are almost as quick, the new 4.6 engines are extremely reliable and pretty powerful for RTR engines, go for it[8D]
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Louie2994
Banned

i just bought one and i love it. THERE ARE A COUPLE THINGS YOU SHOULD BUY FIRST!!!!
1. HIGH TORQUE STEERING SERVO
2. PULL START BECAUSE ROTORSTART SUCKS
3. 48 MHTZ RADIO CAUSE 27 IS THE SAME AS WIRELESS INTERNET, WIRELESS MICE AND KEYBOARDS, AND SOME CORDLESS PHONES
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 PM
djsnider77

But the bottom line is I will never buy another tmaxx. They have great bling but thats it I will bash either one of mine with any tmaxx and they will break before me lol Savage 4 Life
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Kanza

I've owned a Savage for three years, and although very little of the original truck is left, it hasn't been due to parts breakage. It's been configured as a basher, stunt truck, and quasi-racer, and in all of those forms it has rarely left me hanging. Stuff breaks, but only after you do something that should have been caught on film. HPI did themselves a favor and stuck with standard 8th scale drive train technology (like the diffs and engines). The K4.6 in the SS kits is an extremely solid engine, but you can pick up the kit w/o the engine and drop in anything .21 or up. If this is your first Sav, just stick with the stock .28 and beat the snot out of it.

A new LHS opened here two years ago, and they started with the Traxxas trucks. One quick demonstration in their back lot with my SS changed their minds.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Spdfrk

"2. PULL START BECAUSE ROTORSTART SUCKS"

Huh?? My rotostart has yet to fail me, as opposed to three different pullstarts all leaving me dead in the water so to speak, Ill never use a pullstart again, they suck in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
djsnider77

I agree I love the roto start mine hasn't failed me yet either
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
rican25

I have a Savage X 4.6 and cant say enough about it!!! the stock 4.6 engine is bullet proof!! The Savage was my first RC and will definately be my last MT that is. I will be changing it around to be a street demon soon, this thing is blistering fast with the 2 speed and now we're going 3 speed!! going to lower it like DJs very soon (Nice work DJ!!) and putting it on a diet too!!! Once you own a Savage, no other MT will even cross your mind.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: Spdfrk

Huh?? My rotostart has yet to fail me, as opposed to three different pullstarts all leaving me dead in the water so to speak, Ill never use a pullstart again, they suck in my opinion.
i just hate it because i think the shaft falls out to easily. if they make a rotostart 3 with a permanent or even telescoping shaft i would like it better. also its much faster to put th igniter in, pull 3 times and go that it is to have to line up the rotostart.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
djsnider77

I have no problem hitting the hole lol guess thats why i have 6 kids lol
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Kanza

Pullstarts are kind of an aquired taste. I prefer bumpstart, but no one has made a conversion. Don't even know if that's possible. Roto's are nice, but that's just one more piece of equipement to carry around. They tend to crack the one way assembly, and once the battery is dead, you're out of luck. If you don't act like Godzilla, or pull it rapid fire, the pullstart works fine.

FYI- Rotostarts come with the RTR trucks, while the pullstarts come with the SS kits.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
racefans26

Savage ALL THE WAY!!! Dont forget a hump pack!! and i tink the roto start is the best IMO i will post a pic to show how i did mine. Not hard to find it in the dark. LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
chopper22980

ORIGINAL: djsnider77

I got hot body shocks with green hpi springs 17mm nubz tires witch are a direct fit I took out the shock spacers but the thing you prolly notice is how low the body is setting and I'll post the pic of what I did to lower the body.The shock towers are all the way down and you can see where I cut into the body alittle to lower the body. I love this look and IMO it handles better now thats it alot lower to the ground. I added the 2nd pic to show you how much of a difference there is and to me its alot.
Very nice on lowering it and with those tires should make it a little faster right?Either way my mind is made up and i'm going to get my savage 4.6 this weekend.Please post pictures on how you lowered it.I will get some of the upgrades but not to much.Dont want to make it to heavy.I just want to beat the crap out of my brothers tmaxx 3.3.So if I cant out run him then i'll just run over him,lmao.Ive been into nitro for a few years now but the one thing i'm trying to find out is.What is that little looking tube that hangs off the nipple of the muffler.That probaly sounded retarded but I dont know what you call it.Ive been wanting to get one but I dont know the name of it.It keeps fuel i'm guessing off the body and tires that comes out the muffler.I just cant seem to find where to get one.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: djsnider77

I have no problem hitting the hole lol guess thats why i have 6 kids lol
ROFLMAO!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 PM
chopper22980

Never mind about what I asked about the muffler,I found out what its called.Exhaust deflector,duhhhhhh chopper,lmao.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 AM
!jAsOfRaW!

ORIGINAL: Louie2994
3. 48 MHTZ RADIO CAUSE 27 IS THE SAME AS WIRELESS INTERNET, WIRELESS MICE AND KEYBOARDS, AND SOME CORDLESS PHONES
How bout a 2.4GHZ radio?
What uses 2.4GHZ?7MHTZ will the wireless internet screw up or the radio/.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: !jAsOfRaW!

How bout a 2.4GHZ radio?

alot of wireless internet and phones use 2.4 it will make you loose control it will simply reduce your range alot. keyboards and mice will screw up your control.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:49 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i just hate it because i think the shaft falls out to easily. if they make a rotostart 3 with a permanent or even telescoping shaft i would like it better. also its much faster to put th igniter in, pull 3 times and go that it is to have to line up the rotostart.

you got it
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
!jAsOfRaW!

ORIGINAL: SaVaGe MaN SS

you got it
Yeah, Im thinking of putting some glue on it. But i think i have some spare o rings for it. You no the blue o ring that goes around where u put the shaft in? Because when it was new it didnt fall out at all. I wonder if a new o ring will fix it.

ORIGINAL: !jAsOfRaW!

How bout a 2.4GHZ radio?

alot of wireless internet and phones use 2.4 it will make you loose control it will simply reduce your range alot. keyboards and mice will screw up your control.
Yeah because i have wireless internet but i dunno if it has 2.4 and i also have wireless phones. I dont have wireless keyboards and mice but. What else could be 2.4?