Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BCMAEngines

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
rloeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BCMAEngines

He mentioned that he'd had some trouble with that particular carb and ended up replaced mine with another brand. Zama -> Walbro ??? (I'm new to this game and can't keep track of all the names ...) He tried to start it just as I brought it to him. Did the same thing for him that it did for me -- ran for several seconds, then died. Did some adjustments; got same result. Replaced carb with another of the same manufacturer; same result. Switched brands. Started right up.

Incidentally, Adam has a 24V drill that he uses to start these motors. Worked like a charm. I'm going to try the same with my 19.2V and see if it has enough oomph.

I have to mention that Adam has a very well tuned ear, sort of "perfect pitch" for 2-cycle engines. He's been doing this for a while (and used to repair lawn mowers), and can instantly tune one of these engines by ear. Took less than a minute of tweaking and the transitions were perfect.

Rog
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Flyer Freq

Interesting! Have only talked to him on the phone and exchanged e-mails. Always a treat! Thanks for the info! Every bit of information we share may help others!

Andy
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Hi Guys

I met Roger yesterday and that was a real pleasure. What a great guy! We bench ran a couple of engines and got them all tuned up and ready to go. The Zama carb I had originally put on his engine had a bad lower diaphram and for some reason once the engine fired up the valve on the main jet was shutting off fuel??? Several of my Zamas are doing this for reasons I do not know. I put a Walbro WT-433 on there and with some minor tuning the engine is running sweet!

Roger also took home with him one of my pride and joy's, my gorgegous 1/4 scale Supercraft Monocoupe A-90. He is going to drop his BCMA-SPE40 in it and its going to be awesome in the air. Its designed for a 26cc but hey, the elevation up here around mile high city makes us have to up the ante on power. With the 40cc Engine, power will not be a limiting factor in this plane. I would expect pretty much unlimited vertical and very short take-offs, like 8 feet!

This goes for everyone, anyone within driving distance of me is more than welcome to come by for a visit whether to tune or repair an engine, or just to shoot some bull. You are welcome at BCMAEngines. This spring I am going to start touring some flying fields and I plan on giving some tee-shirts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29162.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	879220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64493.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	879221  
Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Flyer Freq

Can you make an excuse to swing Wisconsin way????
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

I just might some day. I have been through Wisconsin twice already. Next time I will make a special trip to visit you.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Flyer Freq

Awesome! That would be great!!!!

Just go south from Lambeau Field about 30 minutes, and you are there![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
bob21
My Feedback: (11)

i have read this entire forum finally and i cant wait to get mine, have a 40 and the 28%edge on the way should be here tuesday. great forum by the way and i have talked wiith adam also, he knows the engine that i am getting personaly, and if your reading this adam i am the guy(Bob) who was talking with you when you had an emgency come up. i went with what you said about evrything and its on its way cant wait to fire up that engine and of course for our field to give way to spring...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 AM
shaneandmargy

hey Adam, swing a couple of xl T-shirts in the Oz direction..........lol

Cheers, Shane
Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
dogshome

I just bought a 26. Mixed feelings about it:-

1. The engine is factory run. Which I'm not fussed about as the pulse port was a bit rough and had marked the piston. No real bother, but I ground it out in the liner to stop it getting worse.
2. The shaft oil seals weren't pressed in square. Just a niggle, but I bedded them down.
3. Screws were (as expected) loose. The inlet manifold gasket had split because of that, probably when they ran it. Gaskets in general are very soft and flimsy. They will pull to pieces if you dissasemble your engine. I made new ones.
4. Prop bolt is a naff and soft lump of ironmongery that is functional but rough.
5. Threads in the prop driver for the 2 anti-rotation bolts needed tapping, rather than just winding the screws in.
6. The inlet manifold chokes down for no reason other than it doesn't match the carb. It needs opening by a mil all around.

But:-
a) It's a very light weight engine. Much lighter than a Homelite and probably not much more than a 120 four stroke.
b) The main components such as the crank, rod and piston look like they will last forever.
c) It's very 'cute'
d) The price is very good.

So, I will be running it soon and expect it will be absolutely fine. But, I wouldn't recommend running one straight out of the box as a raw beginner.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM
bob21
My Feedback: (11)

wow is that all you had to do ??? not good hope runs good for ya let us know
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: dogshome

I just bought a 26. Mixed feelings about it:-

1. The engine is factory run. Which I'm not fussed about as the pulse port was a bit rough and had marked the piston. No real bother, but I ground it out in the liner to stop it getting worse.
2. The shaft oil seals weren't pressed in square. Just a niggle, but I bedded them down.
3. Screws were (as expected) loose. The inlet manifold gasket had split because of that, probably when they ran it. Gaskets in general are very soft and flimsy. They will pull to pieces if you dissasemble your engine. I made new ones.
4. Prop bolt is a naff and soft lump of ironmongery that is functional but rough.
5. Threads in the prop driver for the 2 anti-rotation bolts needed tapping, rather than just winding the screws in.
6. The inlet manifold chokes down for no reason other than it doesn't match the carb. It needs opening by a mil all around.

But:-
a) It's a very light weight engine. Much lighter than a Homelite and probably not much more than a 120 four stroke.
b) The main components such as the crank, rod and piston look like they will last forever.
c) It's very 'cute'
d) The price is very good.

So, I will be running it soon and expect it will be absolutely fine. But, I wouldn't recommend running one straight out of the box as a raw beginner.
That is a surprising report. I haven't seen a ton of these, but none with any real issues. Was yours from BCMA or just the regular SPE?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 PM
dogshome

Regular SPE.

Now it's back together, I think it will be a useful engine. The light weight is definitely worth having.

There is nothing significantly wrong with it. But, it isn't 'fit and forget'. More 'fix bugs, fit and forget'
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Flyer Freq

Regular SPE.

Now it's back together, I think it will be a useful engine. The light weight is definitely worth having.

There is nothing significantly wrong with it. But, it isn't 'fit and forget'. More 'fix bugs, fit and forget'
Gotcha! I have only seen the BCMA version. Adam does the quality control, and all I have seen were very nice. Glad to hear yours will work for you!

Andy
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Cobra_03

Adam is a cool guy to talk to. That's if your lucky to get him on the phone. Sound's like he's a pretty busy guy. I Felt bad taking 30min. of his day talking about my motor, sorry guys haha Anyway my motor is in the mail ready to be made into a BCMA engine. Can't wait to get it back. -Todd
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
dogshome

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq
Gotcha!
I could see a loaded question from 20 paces, but decided to take the hit anyway

My big problem with the engine is; what plane to put it in! 70" Yak has a 180 four stroke (and is perfect in every way ). 80+" Megawot has the DL50. 63" Edge has 180 four stroke. I need something like a clipped wing Cub or another Yak []
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq
Gotcha!
I could see a loaded question from 20 paces, but decided to take the hit anyway

My big problem with the engine is; what plane to put it in! 70" Yak has a 180 four stroke (and is perfect in every way ). 80+" Megawot has the DL50. 63" Edge has 180 four stroke. I need something like a clipped wing Cub or another Yak []

This engine fits great in many .60 size aircraft, all the way up to 1.20 size. Depends on whether you want scale performance or 3D performance. A 70" aerobat would be a little bit large for the 26CC. A 1.20 size cub would probably be pretty nice. Decisions, decisions! Fun isn't it??? A few pages back, someone was fitting one to a Kangke 20% Monocoupe (http://www.kangkeusa.com/superkraft.htm). That would be a fun combo. There are so many combo's to choose from! You just might have to try them all! Adam has a cool 3D bird on his website, as well. Have fun!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
danfarina44

New Question:

I bought the BCMA 26cc motor.

Does anybody know what or if there is a smoke muffler for this engine? A link would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM
airstik2003

talk to adam he sells them and might swap you
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 PM
danfarina44

Oh, ok I didn't see them on his web site.

If there not listed there he should put them on his accessories page. More $$$.

That's a good idea though.

thanks a lot.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
danfarina44

While I'm here...

I have ANOTHER question:

I actually did get Adam's opinion on this one.

What is your opinion(s) on rubber mounts to reduce engine vibration?

I bought some chain saw engine mounts for my 4*. I've heard several opinions now whether they do work or not.

1) they work
2) they work, but only when the plane is on the ground
3) not really

Any body tested this (some how)?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I think anytime you can minimize vibration on your airframe it's a bonus, it will definately add life to your plane. Except if it takes a dirt nap...lol I've actualy been looking at Hyde soft mounts for mine, not sure which ones I want but they are nice.

Shane
Old 02-24-2008, 08:48 PM
jpl572103

Can I use the standoffs that come with this 40cc engine as mounts? Or do I need to use blocks of wood instead? If so what are the aluminum stand offs for?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 PM
jpl572103

The plane is the lanier stinger 120. First time gasser. But plenty of experience with radios/engines/planes. Just concerned that the shaking of the gas engine may cause alot of stress to the firewall.(engine mounting surface)
Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: jpl572103

The plane is the lanier stinger 120. First time gasser. But plenty of experience with radios/engines/planes. Just concerned that the shaking of the gas engine may cause alot of stress to the firewall.(engine mounting surface)
Mate. I have my BCMA / SPE 40 mouted in a 70 inch seagull Extra 260 (1.20 size) with no issues. Use the stand offs provided, but make sure if you run in the engine the wings are mounted on the airframe - this helps reduce / absorb the vibration. Also - not familiar with the Lanier, but adding strength to the fire wall with triangular stock, fibreglass or just 30min epoxy will always help. Go fly - have fun, the BCMA / SPE engines are great
Old 02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: bjor

ORIGINAL: jpl572103

Mate. I have my BCMA / SPE 40 mouted in a 70 inch seagull Extra 260 (1.20 size) with no issues. Use the stand offs provided, but make sure if you run in the engine the wings are mounted on the airframe - this helps reduce / absorb the vibration. Also - not familiar with the Lanier, but adding strength to the fire wall with triangular stock, fibreglass or just 30min epoxy will always help. Go fly - have fun, the BCMA / SPE engines are great
What bjor says is good advice! I have seen the soft mounts used, and they convinced me that they will not be used on one of my planes. I saw one on a 50CC Zero. There was a range of speeds, at the low end, where the engine just shook terribly. The stress on that firewall from the prop shaft shaking +- an inch or better in all directions must have been terrible. In my opinion, it made the stress on the airframe worse, not better. If this Zero had been an aerobat, with a tight fitting spinner, the gyration of the engine would have shattered the cowl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.