Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
tomazte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

ORIGINAL: tomazte

A couple questions:

1-What are the stock motor´s specifications?

2-I need to buy a new propeller, but I don´t know the sizes, etc... What measures from the propeller I should give, so I can buy a similar to the original one?

Thanks!
Help Me!!! Please...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Paolo.75

You can use 27mm to 31mm propeller, size depend to rpm/volt motor also, smaller prop 27 or 28 with a 3500 rpm/volt motor, I use a brushless Jeti Phasor motor 15/3 2500 rpm/volt with a 30mm x 1.4 brass prop. With bigger prop the motor and batteries run hotter, and the batteries run time reduced.

Stock motor specifications?? Are very poor dear tomatze! You do the good choiche changing it with a 17 to 21 turns with only few dollars.

Regards

Paolo
Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM
tomazte

ORIGINAL: Paolo.75

You can use 27mm to 31mm propeller, size depend to rpm/volt motor also, smaller prop 27 or 28 with a 3500 rpm/volt motor, I use a brushless Jeti Phasor motor 15/3 2500 rpm/volt with a 30mm x 1.4 brass prop. With bigger prop the motor and batteries run hotter, and the batteries run time reduced.

Stock motor specifications?? Are very poor dear tomatze! You do the good choiche changing it with a 17 to 21 turns with only few dollars.

Regards

Paolo
Thank you Paolo! Here i´ll pay in Real (our currency here in Brazil...) : ) ...
Excuse-me for my ignorance, but what´s the difference of an motor with 17, to a 21 turn?
For how many volts? How many Ampéres?
Here are some Brushless motors for sale (it´s all writen in portuguese):
[link=http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-68813248-melhor-motor-brushless-esc-super-combo-_JM]http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-68813248-melhor-motor-brushless-esc-super-combo-_JM[/link]
[link=http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-68433927-motor-brushless-eleec28p-l-1050kv-_JM]http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-68433927-motor-brushless-eleec28p-l-1050kv-_JM[/link]
And what´s the difference of a 3300mha to the 1800mha(stock) battery?

Thank you for any help!

Regards,

Tomaz
Old 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Paolo.75

Hi Tomaz,

more turns: - speed, + torque; less turns: + speed but - torque (and more battery consumption).

The motors that you've indicated aren't good, the RC Surfer needs a motor between 2500 and 3500 rpm/volt. Are very good: Mega 22/20/2, Hacker B40 series (8L or 9L), Jeti Phasor 15/3 or the cheap Feigao that you can find on http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/.

If the RC surfer goes for 10 min with a 1500 mha battery, it will go for 20 min with a 3000 mah one! I use a GP3700 7 cells, I usually run for about 25 min putting gas when the good set arrive only, and returning on the line up at 1/2 gas....let see my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQuv1P-kX4

Regards

Paolo
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
gnarbrah

Thanks for the info - I definitely plan on taking some more time to waterproof as you suggested. I'm thinking of getting a 19 turn motor for it but honestly I've been out of the rc gig for years, the last electric thing I had was the original RC-10 with the mechanical speed control. I've seen a million 19t motors out there but I have no idea what to get. Any thoughts on a decent one? I don't want to spend a ton if I can avoid it.

Secondly, as far as cooling the esc, I planned on doing that but honestly after running it pretty much wide open in the lake for the test run till the stock 2000mah nicd died the esc was definitely cool to the touch. Is this going to change with a 19t motor and a 3800mah nimh?

Third for gallopaway - The transmitter is my old Futaba FM with the standard $10 3 channel FM receiver and the servo is just a standard Futaba. I figure all its doing is turning that little fin and so far it works great. As far as mounting everything, I just used 2 sided sticky tape foam stuff from the hardware store. The servo moves a bit but it doesn't seem like its going anywhere. Does anybody have any better suggestions?

Thanks for your input, I'll post new pics as I make changes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 AM
Gallopaway

Thanks for the info - i will definately give it a shot, i havnt been able to use mine for over 3 months now as it came with a faulty servo.
one question though, i unscrewed the white box above the motor(which i assume as the receiver in) and saw that there is not much leeway between the white box and the motor and there is lots of glue etc, so i cant really see whats going on there - did you just cut the wires and pull the box off?

thanks
mike
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
gnarbrah

Yeah, you're much better off gutting it completely. It gets slightly tricky once you pull off that stuff above the motor. There's a circuit board which is probably the receiver, speed control, safety (prop only moves when its in water, thats those two screws with the little green wires going to them) mounted right to the front of the motor which takes a little coersion to get out. I ended up just bending it back and forth till most of it broke then got in there with some dykes and cut out what was left. I'm assuming you're going to put a esc in right? If thats the case don't worry about hurting anything, its all going in the trash anyway. Just watch the 2 little tabs on the front of the motor that you need to solder the new esc to. After all this is said and done (look at my previous pic) you'll see its going to be alot easier to work on, change out motor and whatever else. Not to mention it will actually work!

Post some pics as you go if you can

btw - I'm still hoping for some good info on which 19t would be good (without breaking the bank) I saw a kimodo dragon for like $30 on tower. Is that any good?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Gallopaway

hey thanks alot for the info, i take it that your prop now turns when it is out of the water?
excuse my stupidity but what is the ESC for?
also did you extend the rod that goes from the servo to the fin?

your setup does look much better, will try gut my surfer this weekend
Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
tomazte

Hi Tomaz,

more turns: - speed, + torque; less turns: + speed but - torque (and more battery consumption).

The motors that you've indicated aren't good, the RC Surfer needs a motor between 2500 and 3500 rpm/volt. Are very good: Mega 22/20/2, Hacker B40 series (8L or 9L), Jeti Phasor 15/3 or the cheap Feigao that you can find on http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/.

If the RC surfer goes for 10 min with a 1500 mha battery, it will go for 20 min with a 3000 mah one! I use a GP3700 7 cells, I usually run for about 25 min putting gas when the good set arrive only, and returning on the line up at 1/2 gas....let see my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQuv1P-kX4

Regards

Paolo
What about this one(?):
[link=http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-69201555-motor-brushless-mystery-3000-30a-escpronta-entrega-_JM]http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-69201555-motor-brushless-mystery-3000-30a-escpronta-entrega-_JM[/link]
It is 3000 rpm/V. Is it good for my surfer?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Paolo.75

No it's no good, it's too small....don't check rpm data only, there is class type also....choose a motor that I mentioned above.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
tomazte

No it's no good, it's too small....don't check rpm data only, there is class type also....choose a motor that I mentioned above.

The problem is if I´ll find it here in Brazil...
I´ll look for!!! Thank you, my friend!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
gnarbrah

Gallop -

I just replaced the servo linkage to the rudder. Any hobby shop will have them or you can probably get a stiff piece of wire from anywhere thats about the same size. Just unscrew it from the round hole on top of the rudder and make a "z" bend (mines lame, but it works) for the servo end of it. ESC is electronic speed control. If you're going to buy one I'd look at the water cooled ones, not super cheap but better in the long run. I just got mine (the pink thing with all the wires coming out of it) from a buddy free so the price was right. Put pics up as you go, I'm interested to see how other "Board Sharks" turn out.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
BigWaveMax

gnarly,

put some more weight on the front so it will carve better. how did you secure the surfer?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
BigWaveMax

Paolo, how do you keep the motor from over heating?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
BigWaveMax

Poalo,
I'm using a mtronics plasma sport plus 4400kv with a genesis sport plus60amp brushless esc.
I water cool everything but I still overheat and shut down too many times per session. I also use a 4800 nimh.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Paolo.75

x tomatse: check those motors, works good witrh RC Surfer and the seller ship worldwide (Feigao 540 12 for speed, 540 8L or 9L for more torque and much runtime):

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=42

x BigWaveMax:I cool my brushless motor with a silicone coil. Do you use a 4400 kv motor?? it's absolutely too much, in fact the ESC goes in protection mode like you wrote and the prop can go in cavitation easy quick. The good range rpm/volt for me it's 2500-3500.

Regards

Paolo

Italy
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Hammerhead808

Does anyone have an extra surfer body that I can buy?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM
gnarbrah

Max -

I saw some other pics with those stick on lead weights up in the front, where can I get those? I have noticed he rides pretty "nose up". I haven't secured the surfer yet, I'm thinking maybe some epoxy with maybe even a fiberglass "belt" ? Any thoughts on it?

I'm still also in dire need for some insight on a 19t motor for him. I saw a couple good reviews on the komodo dragon by Trinity. Any thoughts on this or other "reasonably" priced 19t / and will this get me moving alot faster (not brushless quick)?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM
gnarbrah

Alright, I've done some more mods. I went to the hobby shop looking for a decent 19 turn motor and ended up coming home with a traxxas titan 12t. I know 12 turn sounds like a lot, but its really not that crazy fast. The motor was only $26 so its the whole you get what you pay for. That being said, I think its perfect. I took him to the beach Saturday and it was a solid 3 feet (should have brought my real board) and I commenced to run 3 batteries through him with only one major issue. The speed was great, got me out and caught waves well, not a drop of water in the radio compartment. Now to the bad part, he has a real hard time "self-righting". You can see in the first pic I just used electrical tape to keep him from moving anymore and I had no problems with that. My major issue is that he'll lie face down on his side until a wave breaks over him and either pushes him in or forces him upright. This is very annoying. Not to mention I noticed once I got home he actuall takes on water and hold it inside therefore he's even heavier and the chances of self righting are almost nill.

Does any one have any ideas on how to make him pop up? Or where to get a replacement surfer that isn't as heavy (like the original Kyosho dude)?????

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55179.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	881591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92720.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	881592  
Old 02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Paolo.75

ORIGINAL: gnarbrah
Does any one have any ideas on how to make him pop up? Or where to get a replacement surfer that isn't as heavy (like the original Kyosho dude)?????
Thanks
If you are intersted I have One male original Kyosho Dude new in box (Kyosho SF4BL) and another one new not original.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
gnarbrah

I'm definitely interested. How much would you be willing to sell one for? I'm assuming I can tear my dude off and strap the replacement down similar to how you have with the foot straps. Let me know!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
gnarbrah

Paolo - Not sure whats wrong but I can't open the private message?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
adrian dixon

Hey everyone
Just thought i would post some pics of my venom bondi surfer. I bought it and used it in stock form once and decided to replace all the electronics with some that i had lying about. I used a hs 311 servo for steering, a nosram esc, venom 3600 battery, an old futaba fm radio and the stock motor. This increased speed a little and made it much better to drive with perportional controls.
After a few runs the esc decided it would chuck it in so we hard wired the motor to a switch and just used the steering this lasted 2 runs until the motor burnt out.
so i had a 540 motor lying about that came out of a cordless drill and it prety much went straight in so i installed that, instead of a esc i have put in another servo and made it so when i pull the throttle it touches 2 bits of wire together. (dodgy i know) i also had to move the water outlet as where i have the receiver pack there was not enough room to run the water line.
I have yet to test this setup but i think it should get along quite well.
well putfile has decided it is not going to work so i will put some pics up later
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
adrian dixon

here they are

Who needs an esc

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
gnarbrah

Pretty Slick, I must say thats a very creative throttle setup you've got going there. Never thought of pulling a motor out of a drill. What kind of speed do you get out of that thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.