Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Exceed RC Support - Helicopter
Reload this Page >

I have a question on Pitch setting

Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

I have a question on Pitch setting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
rparn2
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question on Pitch setting

When the throttle stick is at the bottom or where it should be when you plug in the battery what should the be the degree of pitch on the main blades? Then the degree of pitch at full throttle? Thanks for the help in advance Rick
Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I have a question on Pitch setting

Should be 0 and full trottle should be 10 because you don't want to fly full trottle. So center stick should be 5 to 6 degree.

Andy
Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 AM
RobBeach

I setup as yadac mentioned... but this is what I've been doing for
training how to hover.

With the number 8 dip switch "unlocked"... I play around with the "knobs" on top.
Usually I keep the PLT (top left) at "0" unless the helicopter jumps up off the ground.
But you can also back it off a little for training how to hover for the information that follows.

Now when you are throttling up... say about 30% to 40% or about where the helicopter
is balancing out and the tail rotor is spinning at a good speed but you have no lift...
Now..
Turn the knob on the top right (PIT pitch) minus and plus and "listen" and watch the blades
slow down and or speed up.. finding where the blades are spinning their fastest.
Obviously as you increase the pitch ("+" on the dial) the blades will slow down but you will start to have lift.
And as you decrease the pitch ("-" or zero on the dial) the blades will spin fastest and no lift...
And finally decreasing past zero reverse pitch pushing the helicopter to the ground and again slowing the blades
down.

Ok... so now you are finding "true" zero pitch when the blades are spinning their fastest.
You should be looking at the helicopter all this time and listening and watching the blades..
don't be looking at the knob... always keep your eyes on the helicopter.
When you find the spot on the knob where the blades are spinning their fastest....
throttle down to off... now look at the knob.. just for reference it may or may not be at
zero (PIT knob top right is what we have been turning). This will tell you basically where
zero is and how you trimmed the blades by eye sight on your workbench.

Now... what I have been doing, for training how to hover... is,
once I find where "true" zero pitch ( the place where the blades are spinning their fastest)...
I increase the pitch a couple of clicks.. so now actually at no throttle.. I have some pitch.
What this does for me is give me lift at a slower throttle speed... and even better, it seems
as I have more control as I throttle down for a landing.
This is obviously going to make the helicopter sluggish, but less jerky for training to hover.
I have smoother lift offs and smoother landings... for a beginner.
This also appears to have a smoother transition for when you go past 50% throttle and
CCPM kicks in. Now for the purest and experienced helicopter pilot you probably won't like
this method... but for me... it seems to help me learn to hover and control the helicopter
in close spaces.
Any corrections or comments welcome and as always.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
yadac123

This will work too, but please use safety goggles with looking at the blades directly

Andy
Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 AM
rparn2

Thanks for the info . I have got a meteal upgrade for swash plate blade holders and flybar controller where do LIne up the center block for blade holder is it with the indent of the shaft with the set screw on head block? I can throttle all the way up and the helicopter will never lift off the ground is this normal I can get it to lift if I push the right stick forward a little not sure if I got this helicopter setup right. Thanks for all the help happy flying Rick
Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 AM
yadac123

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. the pitch slider is still plastic and I'm not sure if that is aluminum.

Andy
Old 02-08-2008, 01:48 AM
rparn2

yes an aluiminum for the 22e upgrade I can give it full throttle and it will not lift of the ground not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong
Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
yadac123

at center stick what's your pitch angle in degrees? it should be 5 to 6 degrees.

Andy
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 AM
oojmak

I also have had an issue with lift-off. It seems that I need to be at on click less than full throtle for the heli to lift-off. Dip switch #8 is 'on' but I can't see any changes to the balde when I turn the top right knob. Should I have lift-off at about 50%?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
yadac123

ok disconnect main motor. set #8 to off and you can use the right knob to adjust the pitch.

lower stick = 0 or -1 degree

if you didn't adjust you linkages then you don't need to worry about the degree at center stick.

Andy