Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

tt-01 vs ta-05???

Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Calamari100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tt-01 vs ta-05???

hello all, I've been racing a tt01 competetively for the past year and I'm looking to upgrade. Just wondering, will I really feel the difference with the ta05? Is it really a much better car? And if I should get a ta05 which should I get? The normal one or the ifs one?why?

Hope to hear back from some of you soon!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
mkoresh12

Default RE: tt-01 vs ta-05???

What kind of racing and what are the rules. I had both a TT01 and TA05. The TA05 is a much better racer than the TA05. It handles awesome and is more adjustable that the TT01. I had adjustable arms on my TT01 and it was still no match for the TA05.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
DriftingDragon

ta-05 all the way so much more tuning tt01 is mostly for fun rather then for all out racing
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
mkoresh12

As for wich one you get regular, R, MS depends on your budget and the rules. Check out your competition as well. If you have the cash go for the MS(why not). If your on a budget you can get a regular TA05 and gradually upgrade it. For the price of an MS you might be able to get the 415 for the same or less, i think someone said they are on sale due to the 416 coming out.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Calamari100

I don't think my budget will allow me to get the MS. What do you guys think of the TA-05 vs the TA-05 IFS?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
The Mad Modder

The ta05 IFS has inboard front shocks. Inboard Front Shocks, hence the name IFS.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
mkoresh12

I don't think you'll really see any performance gain from a regular TA05 to an IFS. Most of the parts are exactly the same. You'll get to use some of their lower nosed body shells. I wouldn't shell out extra cash just for that unless the IFS system is proven to outperform the standard TA05. But if there was that much of an advantage, if any at all, all major race chassis would use it. So really its more a matter of body preference and having something a little different between those two.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Calamari100

Can anyone elaborate as to whether or not there is a handling difference between a normal TA-05 and an IFS?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 AM
littleleon

I was asking my lhs owner today about what I should get next (Currently have a TT01). He recommended the TA05. I asked him about the IFS kit. He said that he was more old school, and for him, the shocks needed to be (should be? ) upright. He seemed to think that there was no real advantage to the IFS system other than the lower front bodies.

Still, it does look cool.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 AM
The Mad Modder

Having shocks inboard reduces the possible dirt and debris that can get into them. inboard cantilever shocks also are less likely to be damaged in a severe crash. Plus you have the cool factor.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Calamari100

Yeah, they are so tempting cuz they look so cool! [8D] All the upgrade parts would still be interchangeable with the normal TA-05 though right?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
rcluke

TA-05R
Old 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
lee172

or if you want it pre-hopped up, get the MS version..
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Calamari100

Yeah, they are so tempting cuz they look so cool! [8D] All the upgrade parts would still be interchangeable with the normal TA-05 though right?
Yes, it's exactly the same except for the front shock system, for obvious reasons.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:24 AM
green_overcomer

Questions:

1. How does HPI's Sprint 2 sport kits compare with TA05 stock kits? Which is better and why?

2. What hop ups are already included in a basic TA05 kit?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 AM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: green_overcomer

Questions:

1. How does HPI's Sprint 2 sport kits compare with TA05 stock kits? Which is better and why?

2. What hop ups are already included in a basic TA05 kit?

Thanks!
1. I don't know for sure but I don't think the sprint 2 comes in kit form anymore. I have the TA05 and think its great. I've never seen the HPI car in person so I can't say how good it is. I'm sure the layout is different but they are both similar in terms of belt drive, oil filled shocks ball bearings, etc. The HPI car has planetary gears where the TA05 has ball diffs.

2. None really, but I guess it depends on what your comparing it too. It does have oil shocks instead of friction, ball bearings instead of bushings, adjustable suspension settings and ball diffs.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:04 PM
green_overcomer

Many thanks. From what I've been reading elsewhere, it does seem that the TA05 is the clear favorite compared to any of HPI's similarly designed chasses.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
thaphillips

Here is my personal opnions about my TA05 boith the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

Both drive belts are equal length, which leads to equally distributed power to both rear and front wheels. Also I think it helps keep the center of gravity in the middle of the car. This is also good because with equal length belts they can be swapped. So if you break a front belt you could use an old rear belt you have that is extra. This leads to less $$$ when stocking parts for racing.

I like the plastic tub. I prefer to race on asphalt to carpet, and I enjoy the extra compliance given from a plastic tub. It allows the car to be more durable because it asorbs impact better with out breaking.

The TA05 is pretty competitive bone stock out of the box. People will tell you that you need to buy a bunch of hop ups which is b.s. All you really need to be competitive at the CLUB level is tires. If you are racing nationals then yes you will need more hop ups.

The TA05 is pretty durable. I have broken the common componets and upgraded some to aluminum as they broke. I have taken many bad crashes with minimal to no damage.

The TA05 is very easy to drive and set up. The car is very neutral handling and a slight adjustment does not throw your whole set up out of whack.

THE BAD

__________________________________________________ _____________

The TA05 is a pretty heavy vehicle. I think a lot of it is due to the plastic tub. It makes this car a better asphalt racer than carpet racer. You can upgrade parts to get a good competitive carpet racer, but for the money you are better off buying a TC-5 or JSXR for racing carpet.

Tamiya parts are a PITA to find in the U.S. As a result you should order double to triple the parts needed when they break. This will ensure you have extras for future breaks. Most hobby shops in the U.S. will not stock Tamiya and your racing day is over if something breaks and you need a part.The cost of shipping from overseas really drives the price of operating this vehicle up in the long run.

The space to mount your electronics in the vehicle is very small. This can be a problem with some of the larger ESC's in todays brushless systems. You might have to get creative when mounting your electronics.

Most TA05 kits have a slightly tweaked plastic tub. Hopefully Tamiya has corrected this.

Finally the Hobby Shop will know you didn't buy your car or parts from their shop, and some store owners can be jerks about it. I also respond by telling them to stock tamiya and I can get my parts at their shop.

THE VERDICT

My next 4wd Touring Car will probably be the TC-5 due to parts availability.
I however will not be selling my TA05 because it really is a joy to drive. If only someone could get the parts availability sorted out.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
thaphillips

Oh ..... the TA05 will beat the pants of a TT01. Most people I know who enjoy the TT01 use it for spec racing against other TT01's (this isn't very common), or they like to use it for drifting. The TT01 is not much of a racer because it simply does not allow you to make many adjustments in the set up.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
magnat

When I was Stock Class Racing ( 27T Tagged) The Sprint 2 would hold its own against the TA-05 but not against the TA-05R or the TA-05MS.

The Main issue with the Sprint 2 is Gearing, You have some Flexibility but due to the position of the spur and your pinion your Gearing combinations were limited.
My Race Team all swapped the the Cyclone (Me being Financially Challenged went with the Cyclone S) The Gearing is more adjustable and if you pop a rear Belt its a Breeze to change. Only thing is Changing the Gearing was alot easier on the Sprint 2..

The Sprint 2 is a Club Racer.. meaning it allows you to get a taste of racing without breaking the Bank..
The Sprint 2 did OK in Stock Class but sucked at 540 (Silvercan) as you couldn't gear it properly and would be left out of torque out of corners when up against the TA-05..

Cyclone S can hold its own up against the Big guns like the TC3, TC4 and can throw down a pretty convincing challenge against the Robotronics Avid and even the Cyclone Andymoore's but it won't beat them...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Calamari100

hello all, I've been racing a tt01 competetively for the past year and I'm looking to upgrade. Just wondering, will I really feel the difference with the ta05? Is it really a much better car? And if I should get a ta05 which should I get? The normal one or the ifs one?why?

Hope to hear back from some of you soon!

You'll notice a huge difference between the stock TT01 and stock TA05. Last year I bought my brother a TT01 and myself a TA04S. The handling difference between the two cars is pretty dramatic. The TT01 hops around and is very twitchy. Tha TA04 is much more predictable and smooth. I guess it also depends on whether your TT01 has any modifications done to it and what class you're racing in.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Calin666

I was getting ready to buy my first on-road, and was debating between a TT-01 and a TA05. This cleared up a lot for me.
Glad I decided on the TA05. lol!