Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

New CNC router cut Motor Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 PM
newshoundaussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CNC router cut Motor Box

Does anyone know about the new motor box Carden is offering with the kits now. Can you purchase it if you have a kit? Also the Price of just the motor box pieces?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Danny Baker
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New CNC router cut Motor Box

Consider calling Carden to find out the answer to these questions.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
newshoundaussie

I have called and nobody was in, I will call again Monday. My emails are not going through to them. just wondering if anyone had any info.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Neilbo4

Yeah I am interested in the prices too. I mean if you look, the prices of the planes also went up because they included it in the kits now but yet they advertise it as no extra charge???? I mean I thought the prices of their kits were over priced as it was but now it is getting worse!!! Don't get me wrong, Carden's quality is good but $1300 for a extra 300 kit, when you can get Dalton's 39% Extra 300 for $1050 and that includes all the laser cut/interlocking parts along with all the hardware to finish the plane. I don't see how carden can afford to raise their prices......

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how much the motor box itself will be for those who had bought a kit before the additional feature came out.

Neil
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 AM
lymant3

Hi,
Is 1300.00 a lot for a kit? Yep, but bear in mind that Carden has not raised prices in four years, and just like every other business out there, the costs associated with doing business increase every year. With respect to the motor box, and all the ply parts for that matter, Carden uses 5-ply aircraft grade birch, which is several times the cost of the baltic birch used in other notable kits. So a kit to kit comparison is not terribly accurate. Having had hands on experience with both, I would still choose the Carden, despite the price difference. The quality of the materials is worth the difference - just my personal opinion, and anyone is welcome to feel otherwise. Of course, there are also several areas that one could classify as personal preferences that make one kit more appealling than another - design, ease of construction, aesthics, etc, etc.
So, you can choose to buy a Carden, or another kit, but either way, be a savvy consumer and make sure your choice is based on a full and complete representaion of each rather that just the price and the overall package. That way when you fork over you hard earned bones you'll feel completely at ease with your decision.
t

P.S. It should be noted that the price changes were planned well before the availablity of the new motor box - which is relatively recent development - and apply to all the kits whether the new motor box is available for it or not.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Buzzed

ORIGINAL: Neilbo4

Yeah I am interested in the prices too. I mean if you look, the prices of the planes also went up because they included it in the kits now but yet they advertise it as no extra charge???? I mean I thought the prices of their kits were over priced as it was but now it is getting worse!!! Don't get me wrong, Carden's quality is good but $1300 for a extra 300 kit, when you can get Dalton's 39% Extra 300 for $1050 and that includes all the laser cut/interlocking parts along with all the hardware to finish the plane. I don't see how carden can afford to raise their prices......
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how much the motor box itself will be for those who had bought a kit before the additional feature came out.

Neil
It would be interesting to here from someone that has indeed built the Carden 300 and the Dalton 300. Build both and the answer might be obvious. Something tell's me that it is, Buzz
Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
newshoundaussie

New motor box is on the way from Carden for my 300 kit.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Buzzed

Neil
It would be interesting to here from someone that has indeed built the Carden 300 and the Dalton 300. Build both and the answer might be obvious. Something tell's me that it is, Buzz
Ty has built both, I'm sure he'll chime in .

Albert
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

To some of you short sighted people $250 difference may seem like lot money. But when it comes time to sell your plane after about 300 flights tell me what’s your savings then???
Old 02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
newshoundaussie

Just received the new CNC router cut motor box for my 40% Extra 300. What a nice job, great quailty plywood and does it look nice without the burn marks from a laser. I do not know why anyone would order a kit without this new box! Carden has really stepped it up with this! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Vref

You mean Carden has really caught up with this. I admire their product but...it's about time they caught up with the times. You can only coast on your name for so long.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 AM
n8rloves2fly
My Feedback: (5)

I have a 330 I'll be working on and noticed that they call it a mid wing location WOW I think this might be a must. Any thoughts? How much is one?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
rcplanefan

ORIGINAL: Vref

You mean Carden has really caught up with this. I admire their product but...it's about time they caught up with the times. You can only coast on your name for so long.
Great post, Vref. I can see you are up on the times, too. Take a look at the plane that won the Scale Aerobatic Nats last year and tell me if Carden is "coasting on their name." I get such a kick out of people who complain about Carden's kit prices and construction. It is a free market economy, so go somewhere else if you don't like it. Me - I think they are fantastic airframes that are as competitive as any out there.

And here are some photos of the new motorbox that I built for my 300:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...-motorbox.html

Ken

OH, how mature of RCU. OK, go to F L Y I N G G I A N T S to see the review.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Vref

Chill dude! I don't doubt Carden's quality, construction and certainly not their competitiveness. However, their loyal customers have been modifying their kits for years and other kit/ARF manufacturers have been using lightened motorboxes for years. This is not revolutionary, therfore in my opinion Carden is "catching up". I think most people understood my post though.

Sorry to interupt. Please, get back to cutting geometric shapes in your motor box.

Chris

p.s. I didn't mention the price but, since you did.....I do think they are overpriced.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: Vref

Chill dude! I don't doubt Carden's quality, construction and certainly not their competitiveness. However, their loyal customers have been modifying their kits for years and other kit/ARF manufacturers have been using lightened motorboxes for years. This is not revolutionary, therfore in my opinion Carden is "catching up". I think most people understood my post though.

Sorry to interupt. Please, get back to cutting geometric shapes in your motor box.

Chris

p.s. I didn't mention the price but, since you did.....I do think they are overpriced.
While I like the new motor boxes, I wouldn't say Carden was ever behind. If they wanted to be the easiest to build, they could re-design the entire plane with interlocking light ply. One of the things builders like about Cardens is the ability to take the design and materials and build it the way you see fit. Some people actually enjoy building so lightening a motor box was something they enjoyed. Now you have the option.

As far as being overpriced, there is a difference in quality of kits and if you want, save a couple hundred bucks and build some other kit. Maybe try an Aerotech.

While you're at it, call your favorite ARF maker and see what spare parts they have on hand. I messed up a Carden canopy while tinting it and when I called Carden, they said they were running a little low on that canopy. They only had like 17 left.

How many Carden's have you built Vref?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Neilbo4

Quote "As far as being overpriced, there is a difference in quality of kits and if you want, save a couple hundred bucks and build some other kit. Maybe try an Aerotech." So you are saying that for an extra $300 you are getting much better quality... I am not so sure about that. The Dalton airplanes as just as much quality, maybe even more quality considering all the laser cut parts and hardware to go with it.

So aviti, how many Dalton planes have you built??
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Vref

How many Carden's have I built...0! Do I have to have built one to see that other people are successfull flying cheaper high quality airframes that have been using factory cut motorboxes for years. I don't think Leeseburg (sp) or QQ fly Carden? Are their airframes short on quality? I doubt it. In my post you will see that I appreciate Carden Quality. I have never built one but I have flown them and see that they are designed to last. I very much enjoy the craftsmanship that Walt and others put into their Carden's. Your right that is part of modelling. I visit Carden's site regularly to see the beautiful airframes that people are turning out. My only point is that there is nothing revolutionary about a motor box with holes in it. That's pretty hard to argue with. As far as price well, that's subjective. Overpriced to me is a steal to you. "overpriced" is probably a poor choice of words for that reason. If you want to build, as far as I have seen they are the most expensive. What does that mean...you decide. If you want to fly, ARF quality is very good and cost as much as box of sticks and foam. If you fly Carden and enjoy it (as many do) then the price was right on.
Didn't mean to flame the Cardenites.

Chris

p.s. did you do the stab root rib mod everyone is doing or go with the old plastic L brackets.....sorry I had to go there.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
newshoundaussie

Been around all three Aerotech, Carden and Dalton. Carden has the best looking plywood and balsa. Laser cutting is nice on both the Aerotech and Dalton, seeing as how Aerotech did all the cutting for Dalton in the past this is awash for both. I like all the foam parts on the Aerotech and Carden's more durable than the open structure on Dalton's. Overall look of the Carden's are second to none and I hate to say this, Aerotech then Dalton. I just do not like the lines of the Dalton 300 especially the stretched MEL version. Just my opinon don't jump all over me! Aerotech suffers badly with on again off again glass work and no they do not use Carden cowls it would not fit the Aerotech 42% extra. I do have an Aerotech 300 and a Carden 300. Carden and Dalton excell in aftermarket service! Aerotech has been ok with ME, not so sure this would be the case now!! Lets face it you pay for a name and the service and to me that is worth alot! No hardware is included with any of these kits, Aerotech did include instrument panels. Dalton uses carbon wing and tail tubes, this is a costly extra in their kits. Thankfully we have choices!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM
k5mog
My Feedback: (35)

My Daughter spent $900.00 of her hard earned money for a 35% Dalton, for my Christmas present. Needkess to say I was very pleased until I started unpacking the kit. Believe me it was down hill from there. The foam parts were the worst I ever had to deal with, they looked like they had been stored under a mack truck. I can't begin to explain what I went thru in trying to get a decent set of wings out of that kit. So you can have your high quality Dalton kits. I've built over a dozen Cardens for myself and friends, they have all been of consistent high quality, and turned to be great flying planes. My 5 year old 330 sold for enough, at perry, to repay the kit price and the better part of my time. Dennis and Caroline are always easy to get in touch with, always helpful, always have spare parts when needed. So in my estimate if being a little more then the competion keeps them in business, I'll be a customer.

I never get involved in these threads, but that Dalton was such a let down. I had to smile and tell my daughter how much I appreciated the gift. It would break her heart to know how pissed off I am. Sorry for the rant.

Ralph
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Neilbo4

k5mog, did you call Mr. Tony and explain to him your situation?? I am sure if you explained to him that your various foam cores were dinged and bashed a bit and you would like to get some new ones, he would send you some free of charge.

But I must admit, if I were to choose a 40% airplane on the market today I would most likely go with the Carden Extra 300 midwing, they look very nice. Then, my next choice would be the Dalton Extra 300 ML Edition.

Neil
Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM
k5mog
My Feedback: (35)

Yes Neil, I expressed my displeasure to Mr. Tony ( by e-mail) along with a request for missing stab tube. Never heard from him, he was moving to his new job. I usually keep to myself and should have this time. I don't have anything else on the subject.

Ralph
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Neilbo4

Try calling Mr. Tony, he doesn't seem to use his email very much. good luck with your project.

Neil
Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Quote "As far as being overpriced, there is a difference in quality of kits and if you want, save a couple hundred bucks and build some other kit. Maybe try an Aerotech." So you are saying that for an extra $300 you are getting much better quality... I am not so sure about that. The Dalton airplanes as just as much quality, maybe even more quality considering all the laser cut parts and hardware to go with it.

So aviti, how many Dalton planes have you built??
I bought a Carden 40% about a year ago. The price was $1200. The Dalton was $1050. $150 difference. I was going to get either one but decided on the Carden because I have always wanted a Carden Edge. I already had a 35% TBM 260 which by the way is the same design as a Dalton 260 so I wanted to try something different.

For $150 difference, I didn't make the decision on price. Both prices were fine and I know for a fact that Dalton makes good kits with good support also. But to save $150 on a $6000 airplane is pointless. They're virtually the same price. Carden raised prices recently but it's certainly possible that Dalton will too at some point in the future.

So why are you asking me if I've built a Dalton? I didn't say anything about the price or value of a Dalton. I only commented that I don't feel Carden's are overpriced. Turns out, the guy that claimed this has never built a Carden. I have and to me the kit and the service have been worth the price. If I said Dalton's were lesser quality, then perhaps a fair question would be whether I have every built one.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 PM
daltonaviation

ORIGINAL: k5mog

My Daughter spent $900.00 of her hard earned money for a 35% Dalton, for my Christmas present. Needkess to say I was very pleased until I started unpacking the kit. Believe me it was down hill from there. The foam parts were the worst I ever had to deal with, they looked like they had been stored under a mack truck. I can't begin to explain what I went thru in trying to get a decent set of wings out of that kit. So you can have your high quality Dalton kits. I've built over a dozen Cardens for myself and friends, they have all been of consistent high quality, and turned to be great flying planes. My 5 year old 330 sold for enough, at perry, to repay the kit price and the better part of my time. Dennis and Caroline are always easy to get in touch with, always helpful, always have spare parts when needed. So in my estimate if being a little more then the competion keeps them in business, I'll be a customer.

I never get involved in these threads, but that Dalton was such a let down. I had to smile and tell my daughter how much I appreciated the gift. It would break her heart to know how pissed off I am. Sorry for the rant.

Ralph
I received your email and I remember you saying that you would make it work and at no time did you request a replacement set of wings. I would have done whatever I could to make you a satisfied customer. Maybe next time pickup the phone and make a call. Do I make mistakes? Sure I do, but I always do my best to take care of the customer and make sure they are satisfied.