Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Kellermann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Ken,
I've been trying to send you some email but they all bounce back, is there a problem with your inbox?
Marcus
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Marcus, that is strange. Usually I get from 6 to 12 e-mails a day from my friends, no problem. However, in the last 6 months I have had the same complaint from two friends as yours. Somehow these problems resolved themselves and I get e-mail from them again. For the time being, send me stuff via PM here on RCU. I'll do some checking with my ISP. Good to hear from you.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

evening gents, i've been following discussion over the past year without much input as my interest have wained to a bigger project.
If you remember from pages gone by, I'm building an RV10 w/ my father and she finally flew on Saturday! I'll post some video if I can figure out how to do it. below is a photo of the maiden lift off.

looks like everyone is doing well and still flying their SDs (or soon will be again, marcus).
I hope to have some time soon to finish mine as my builder didn't work out.
It's kinda funny how I was intimadated by this project and pawned the build off to someone else. meanwhile I'm building a 200 mile an hour airplane and didn't hesitate to jump in it for a spin after completion .

anyway, my SD builder did build the wing halves (mostly) so I'll begin the fuse before it begins to get warm again here in TN.
hope all you guys are ready for this season, spring is almost here!
have a good one...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22542.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	896750  
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Kellermann

Hey Russ
nice to hear from ya again...and nice RV you've built! Congrats... and I agree, now you got no excuses to jump into the building of that SD...try to get it done in time for the next season...you'll like the way it flies!

See ya 'round
Marcus
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Michel,
Did you finish your 42% SD project?
Do you mind if i would ask you to borrow your CAD project?
Regards,
Marcelo Assis
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Kellermann

Hi All SD fellas,
I have good and bad news!

I have eventually sold my SD, now that I was about to install the new engine i bought for it, 10 days left for our annual mega-fly-in FESBRAER at our local club (www.fesbraer.com.br). Got some USD 2600,- for it w/o engine, guess it's a good price, could have been more considering all the work involved - but it's a crashed and rebuilt airplane, anyway. That's the bad news.

The good news are that the SD will be at the Fly-In, not flying but on display to collect orders for a first batch of models I will be producing teaming up with a great large-scale specialized Hobby Shop. The goal is to present a fully customized service, ranging from a basic jack-of-all-trades SD for every weekend flying w/o much detail (to be sold in both ARC and ARF versions) to a fully detailed, competition version like my original SD. Actually I have already 1 fix order for a Competition Series SD, 3 orders for the basic version and 2 options, yet to decide whether it will be a Basic or CS.

It seems that there is a "hunger" for SDs out there...I am talking about my local market, Brazil.

Enters our project...altough I have been daydreaming and talking about this since long ago, it sometimes takes a while till you get the right partners. Guess I found them now.
Our model will be powered by any 50-80cc and will fill in the gap between the 25-40cc and the big bangers like 100+cc twins.

Sounds like a lot of work ahead.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Big_Bird

That sounds great Marcus. I hope you at least get to fly one some. Are you going to do all of the building or contract the major sub assemblies?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Kellermann

Ken, I am subcontracting most of the cutting and prepping - I'll do the building. I won't sign my name on something I didn't build by myself.
Same for covering and finishing.

Marcus
Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Kellermann

It's rolling now - no way back now.
http://mk.merchandising.googlepages.com/

Taking orders however only for local market. Nevertheless would be glad to learn your response...

Marcus
P.S. I actually reverted the sale of my own SD to a new one from the production series...mine will be flying in 2 weeks, just waiting for the muffler to arrive.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Kellermann

The Phoenix rose from the ashes!!

My SD flew again yesterday almost 2 years after the crash! Beautiful sight, great weather, almost no wind, perfect conditions.

Only a couple of minor mishaps like the scale exhaust coupling (silicone tube) tearing off before first flight, and the scale pilot door falling off during the flight due to non-secured hinge pin (will have to build a new door, I couldn't find it among the cows on the surround pasture).

Also the I had adjusted the idle a little too high, on landing she floated and floated and overshot the grass runway, I stalled her over the tarmac and yet had to steer to the grass again to bring her to a halt. That overloaded the LG a little, but I already bent it back to shape.

All in all a sucess.

The pix are stills from the video, didn't post it yet at youtube but will advise when done.

Name:	Db84800.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	947234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67623.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	947235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25138.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	947236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69026.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	947237  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Big_Bird

Marcus, congratulations! I know it was a long time in coming. The plane looks great. I'll be looking forward to the YouTube video.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Kellermann

Ken and all,

the video of the first flight after the crash is now online at [link]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_ee9bf_T8[/link]
I taped it using my Panasonic Camera which runs .avi (Quicktime) at very good quality. I had to use a converter to reduce quality for Youtube broadcasting, and since it was a demo version, there are some unwanted subtitles, hope you forgive me for that...

Enjoy...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Big_Bird

Enjoyed the video Marcus.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
goldwaterman

Nice job, Marcus! The airplane looks great. I enjoyed the video footage. Congratulations on bringing her back to life!! Mike.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Kellermann

Thanks Guys.
A few bugs yet to iron out but she'll be on the circuit again for some time...

My sport scale SD production is running at full, got a few sales and some more, potential customers. Guess sales will increase after the few first prototypes are out there flying at events. Check the page: [link]http://mk.merchandising.googlepages.com/home[/link]
Upcoming event is GIANT ITU, a nice giant-scale fly-in to be held on June 13-15, hope to have a couple of prototypes flying by then. Will also attend with my SD.

Obviously will post pix here.

Marcus
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Newflee

Hey guys....long time no see

Looks like things are going great.
I have been away for a couple years.......now have a new career maintaining 737-600-700 and 800's.
I work for Westjet and love it...what a great change.

My SD still awaits it's maiden.......completed and pretty.
I have been taken by the heli bug since I started working in a building that I can actually fly indoors...(Hangar)...that and those incredible micros by parkzone.
I'm now building planes from scratch that weigh less than an ounce that use the parkzone guts.

Watching your vid sure get's me going though Marcus......I want to hear the 3w in my SD speak.

Anyway....just thought I would drop by the clubhouse and say hi!

Lee

Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Kellermann

Hey Lee
glad to hear from you...after a long time, really...

Did you say yours is completed and prety? come on, lets see the pix!!

Glad to know you're working at full scale jets, congrats on that career.

I started building SDs in series under order, that is, my SD is now being produced for several people. Building 4 of them at the moment, of course, a simplified version.

See ya

MArcus
Old 06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Kellermann

Here a few pics of my production going...first prototype fuselage almost ready to cover. Another 6 already cut as maybe seen in the background.

Enjoy...

Name:	Mk25436.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	962393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84933.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	962394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62360.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	962395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61115.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	962396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33784.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	962397  
Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Big_Bird

Looks very good Marcus.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey SD guys.. I.ve decided to get restarted on my 33%er.I'll be putting mine on floats from BUSA mainly because we are moving field locations next year and our new field has a river right beside it.And since the field work will probabily take all summer floats will be the only option there for a while anyway.
Steve
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Big_Bird

Steve, by rights a guy who starts a thread as big as this one needs TO FINISH HIS AIRPLANE. Heck, I've flown mine so much that I just got tired of looking at my windshield with so many cracks. Last week I replaced it. It was a fairly big job but it came out good. Yes Marcus, I know, it doesn't have the rounded front like a REAL SD has. That goes along with not being tall enough and..........

I absolutely love the way that my SD flies and the ZDZ80RV is more than enough power. Steve you should get a kick out of float flying. Keep us posted on your progress. New windshield shown below.

Name:	Yw68236.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	969455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94346.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	969456  
Old 06-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Kellermann

Steve
that's great news. I agree with Ken, you ought to finish this plane, after all you're the one that called out loud the first time about this plane...
boy, what a long journey it has been since then... I came along when this thread was already going strong, nevertheless I hope to have contributed a little to it's growing too.
I truly enjoyed this virtual groupd of friends, and long after my plane was finished - and now, rebuilt and flown for a couple of times again - I still enjoy whenever I see news posted here.
I wish you really get along this time and hope to see many pictures of the building and finishing. Same for Jim the Doc, Lee, Donnie, Rick in the Netherlands, both Geoffreys form Down Under, Russ Icrashbipes, and others we never saw finished, some of them this close to finish them...

And Ken, yours looks good as always, mine doesn't look any better, take a close look - ...

Marcus

Name:	Vs55809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	969659  
Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Kellermann

As you guys may know by now, I am building several SDs from my plans under contract, 6 at the time being.

One of them is supposed to be on floats, since the buyer owns a house at the lake. I have no experience with floats at this size, do you think the Balsa USA floats are OK for this plane? just a little reminder, my plane is 30% not 33% so I guess the B.USA might be a little oversized...
Where can I get a set of plans for these? I believe they're replicas of full scale EDO floats, or am I wrong? Need a little help from my friends here... guess I'll need to downsize them a little to fit the 30% SD...

Await your comments

See ya
Marcus
Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

Marcus, I have long finished the 33%er ,and also built a 30% SD ,and looking at a 40% or 50%SD. I am also working with Marcelo from Torch engines to bring them to the states.
Donnie
Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Kellermann

Donnie
I know you finished yours, but I never saw any picture of it!! Glad to hear from you.

Marcelo told me you're working together. I am building a 30%SD in series, but not yet ready for exports...some of my planes will be powered by his TORCH engines.
Michel in Canada took over the www.amr-rc.com business and is prepping to produce a 42% scale Decathlon. among other planes like a 50% Spacewalker, a 42% Cub, a 38% Red Lion and already producing a huge, 33% Waco. Michel, if you read this, get it touch with Donnie...

See ya 'round
Marcus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.