Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Quiques Aircraft Support - CLOSED
Reload this Page >

Somenized Yak-54,86" with redundant power set up

Community
Search
Notices

Somenized Yak-54,86" with redundant power set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somenized Yak-54,86" with redundant power set up

Dear All,

Recently I have been getting many emails and questions with regards to a light weight, elegant redundant power system for our Somenized (TM) Yak-54, 86".

The options are the following for Li-Ion/Li-Po guys:

1. Two batteries such as Duralite 2 cell, 2150 Li-Ion with two regulators’ and switch
2. Gemini system with either two Duralite 1600 Li-Po or two 2150 Li-Ion battery.

I recommend option number two because it is lighter set up and way more elegant, besides you don't have to cut the fuse in two different places to mount the switches. I am going to explain what Gemini system is.

Gemini system is a dual regulator set up with a digital switch that has the capability of delivering 15 amps, 7.5 amps from each port. It has two leads that go to the receiver and a digital switch to arm each of these regulators independently. There are two lights on the system and digital switch has two BRIGHT LEDS that you can see blinking from a good distance in a sunny day.

Basically you plug two batteries to the system and connect the two output leads to the receiver. It regulates the voltage at 5.9 and discharges the batteries equally, regulator has two independent micro processor. If one battery or regulator fails, the other one is still functioning.

Now the good part. You can do all that without any weight penalty.

Gemini system + Switch weigh only 1.6 OZ
Two 1600 Li-Po Duralite-Gemini batteries weigh 6.8 OZ total (3.4 each battery)

System is redundant and looks awesome. Another beauty of it is when the battery voltage gets low, the lights on the switch start flashing faster and lights on the system in the fuse turn Orange from Green!

Please look at the attached pictures. For more information check out www.DuraliteFlightSystems.com . Hope this helps some of you that are looking for redundancy peace of mind!

Regards,
Reza Gholamipour
Quique's Aircraft Support
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71333.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	695828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85577.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	695829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88068.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	695830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34590.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	695831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40314.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	695832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27456.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	695833  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 AM
RCFREAK

Default RE: Somenized Yak-54,86" with redundant power set up

or you could just go with a Fromeco Wolverine Dual Switch http://www.fromeco.org/awolverine.htm. The regulators and batterys are alot cheaper then Duralites. A 2600mah LithiumIon from fromeco will set you back 30.00, where as a duralite setup is more than double the price.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Rezagh

You can choose anything you'd like. Remember the discharge rate of a Li-Ion and Li-Po! High torque servos draw a lot of amp. Also remember that you need to buy two separate regulators for that switch where the Gemini is only one piece. Not to mention that your suggested system will be heavier and the batteries are each 2 cell where the Gemini Li-Po is 4 cell each (2S2P) yet the same weight as one 2cell that you suggested and the System weighs as much as one regulator not TWO! Wrong comparison! Please study from all the aspects before making a comment! You can always go cheaper components’ and pay the price other ways.

Regards,
Reza
Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 AM
RCFREAK

The discharge rate between a lipo and a lithium ion does not matter. It all depends on how much the regulator can handle combined with the wiring going between the battery and the regulator. I notice the wiring on the duralite batterys are only normal hobby connectors and leads rated to 3.5amps continuous. 2 or more fully stalled servos would overload the line. Hey im not saying duralite are bad, they are good stuff, but for what you get its expencive stuff.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Hey guys,

I run two switches and two seperate lith-ions for my reciever. Regardless of the manufacturer (which is one the above), it has been a good option for myself. I have found that the redundancy has saved my plane....TWICE!!! I don't know why the cells went bad but they did and my plane is still in one piece.

Not a bad idea if you're ok with a few more ounces in weight.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Rezagh

I agree
Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
ShorkR

Hey guys,

I got this plane for christmas. I have a spektrum 7 channel receiver from another plane and I would rather use it than buy the 9 channel receiver. The only problem is I am using all of the channels, so I only have one battery port to use. Is there anyway of making my power system redundant without buying a new receiver? I have 2 li-ion batteries to use and I definitely want a redundant power supply. Any help would be great, thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 AM
luk3

ShorkR,

As far as I understand, may be someone can confirm, you can plug one battery source in your receiver battery port and the other in any of the used channel ports by using an Y cable
Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 AM
luk3

Forgot to mention my setup:

A Powerbox Sensor, which in a box itself contains a double independent switch, two regulators, two leads for batteries and two leads for the receivers. 2 Flightpower EVO-RX 1600 2S2P complete the setup. 35 grams for the Powerbox plus 2 x 86 grams on batteries. Quite enough redundant and light setup to my understanding. Other components and pilot are not setup redundant by many reasonsc[>:], but this choice is worth the price

Regards